U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you think that the USA will ever convert to the metric system?
Yes, by next couple of years 6 10.53%
Yes, but after 10 or more years 6 10.53%
Nah, we always stay with imperial system 31 54.39%
Nah not 100% metric, but including both units on everything 14 24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:40 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,134 posts, read 22,282,980 times
Reputation: 16223

Advertisements

OK so lets say we change to the SI system (Metric) so travelers don't get confused. What's next? Drop the Dollar so travelers and Business don't have to do the conversion to their currency? Which one do we pick then, the Euro? Shoot might just as well get rid of the form of Government we use also because other Countries don't understand how it works and is different than they use. OMG that brings up the question and problem of communication, let's drop our language and adopt Chinese, after all it is the language spoken by a vast number of people as their native language, it would make life easier wouldn't it?

Not saying that would happen, but where do you draw the line? Who determines where that line is? As it stands we can use any system of measurement we want to, and it looks like the masses WANT our system for the time being. When the majority WANT to adopt the SI system of measurement, then we will. Until then, crying about some tourists and travelers who don't know how far it is to the next restroom or exit is useless.

 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:41 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,134 posts, read 22,282,980 times
Reputation: 16223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
I wish we metric signs in the whole U.S. country
Maybe English lessons would be a better thing to undertake than this folly.
 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:42 PM
 
Location: North Jersey, NJ
142 posts, read 42,471 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Maybe English lessons would be a better thing to undertake than this folly.
Sry, I speak good english and it's enough for me since I already speak 4 other languages and only lived here for a year.

But you should go and learn the metric system before talking bull sh*t about something u dont know
 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:43 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
4,257 posts, read 4,306,661 times
Reputation: 1396
I really don't care if we convert to metric - except with Temperature. Using a range of only 0-35 or so on the Celsius scale is rather inaccurate. With Fahrenheit, you get a range of 0-100, which offers a much better idea of what the day will feel like. I see no reason to change, there are much more important things that we should be focusing on besides how we measure temperature.
 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:45 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,134 posts, read 22,282,980 times
Reputation: 16223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
Sry, I speak good english and it's enough for me since I already speak 4 other languages and only lived here for a year.

But you should go and learn the metric system before talking bull sh*t about something u dont know
I know the metric system as well as you do I am willing to bet kiddo. Worked with it plenty and also covered it in school from Elementary all the way through high school and University level.

And if that response isn't classic NorthNJ and Mattias style. Jump right to the childish insults and cussing as soon as somebody disagrees with them. I rest my case that this is the same individual.
 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:47 PM
 
Location: North Jersey, NJ
142 posts, read 42,471 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
OK so lets say we change to the SI system (Metric) so travelers don't get confused. What's next? Drop the Dollar so travelers and Business don't have to do the conversion to their currency? Which one do we pick then, the Euro? Shoot might just as well get rid of the form of Government we use also because other Countries don't understand how it works and is different than they use. OMG that brings up the question and problem of communication, let's drop our language and adopt Chinese, after all it is the language spoken by a vast number of people as their native language, it would make life easier wouldn't it?

Not saying that would happen, but where do you draw the line? Who determines where that line is? As it stands we can use any system of measurement we want to, and it looks like the masses WANT our system for the time being. When the majority WANT to adopt the SI system of measurement, then we will. Until then, crying about some tourists and travelers who don't know how far it is to the next restroom or exit is useless.
Converting to metric system is not for tourists/visitors. It's for our easy, best way. Nobody said you have to change your native language to Chinese, which would never happened.
Crappy imperial/us units doesn't make sence at all and hard to know.....

15 ft, how many inches is that? Probably you don't know it in mind unless using a caculator or the internet.
15 km, how many meters is that? You would know that in 1 sec since everything has to do with 10
 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,134 posts, read 22,282,980 times
Reputation: 16223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
Converting to metric system is not for tourists/visitors. It's for our easy, best way. Nobody said you have to change your native language to Chinese, which would never happened.
Crappy imperial/us units doesn't make sence at all and hard to know.....

15 ft, how many inches is that? Probably you don't know it!
1 km, how many meters is that? You would know that in 1 sec since everything has to do with 10
15' = 180" smarty pants.

I work with numbers all day every day. I know our system of measurement just like 99.9% of the people who live in the US
 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:52 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,134 posts, read 22,282,980 times
Reputation: 16223
Oh well, I am just going to put you on ignore along with your other 2 names you have used on these forums. I know where this is going because it is a road you have tried to take all of us down before, and frankly I am tired of discussing a pointless topic with an immature kid who will not listen.
 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:52 PM
 
Location: North Jersey, NJ
142 posts, read 42,471 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I know the metric system as well as you do I am willing to bet kiddo. Worked with it plenty and also covered it in school from Elementary all the way through high school and University level.

And if that response isn't classic NorthNJ and Mattias style. Jump right to the childish insults and cussing as soon as somebody disagrees with them. I rest my case that this is the same individual.
Well, as you say you know the metric system as I do.
Why do you hate it then?
 
Old 10-29-2008, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,285 posts, read 3,976,601 times
Reputation: 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Maybe English lessons would be a better thing to undertake than this folly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I know the metric system as well as you do I am willing to bet kiddo. Worked with it plenty and also covered it in school from Elementary all the way through high school and University level.

And if that response isn't classic NorthNJ and Mattias style. Jump right to the childish insults and cussing as soon as somebody disagrees with them. I rest my case that this is the same individual.

Weren't you doing the same thing? Silly pi$$ing contest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top