U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving criteria: greenery, mild climate, singles friendly, ethnically diverse, triathlons

Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM

167 posts, read 489,366 times

Advertisements

Sorry, another request on suggestions of where I should look into moving to. I have been looking on these boards for over a year now and even posted looking for suggestions. I had checked out a few of the suggestions that I thought I would really like and liked them for visiting but couldn’t picture myself living there (i.e. Portland, OR and Seattle, WA). Also some criteria has changed. I have some extra vacation days coming up so would like to continue checking out places in the next few months.

About me:
Single, 34 yr old female, leaning towards left/liberal but more of an East Coast Liberal (vs. West Coast liberal). Interests include running, triathlons, hiking, travel, book stores, ethnic restaurants, dog park, lead a healthy life-style. Not into the party scene at all but goes out occasionally for a drink.

Looking for:
Greenery – do not like brown desert areas (like Phoenix)
Mild Climate – my definition of “mild climate” is any winter that is better than NYC’s - Do like change of seasons but can do without winter. Love fall/spring.
Ethnically/racial diverse area. I am Caucasian and do not want to live in an all-white area.
Driving distance from weekend activities – be it the mountains, the beach, the forest, camping…just SOMETHING!
Cost of living doesn’t matter (I live in NYC!!)
Area with singles in their mid-30’s where I will not be looked at as a freak for not being married with kids at that age
Friendly – I don’t need you to bake me milk and cookies when I move in BUT it would be nice if we could exchange “hello’s” while passing in the apartment complex hall-way or get a “thank you” when I hold the door open for you (unlike where I live now)
No cities/metro areas smaller than the Miami area
Doesn’t matter if I can take public transportation or need to drive
No towns that are too much of a “college vibe”

Places of no interest for living:
Phoenix – lived there, too brown, too suburban sprawl
NYC – live there now, looking to move elsewhere. After 5 yrs, I am not energized by NYC and while I have some great friends, I am more “mid-western”
Chicago – lived there for 20+ yrs. Love the city but too cold in winter for me, too flat, and other personal reasons
Miami – lived there for 3 yrs – too suburban, too much sprawl, too flat (note was not too small for me), no change of seasons really
Seattle/Portland – too small feeling, felt far away from the rest of the country and isolated

Possible Ideas I have had, looking for opinions and other suggestions:
DC/Northern VA area – but I heard it is horrible for single women
Baltimore
Raleigh
Austin (might be too much of a “college vibe” from what I have been told)
Charlotte
Alburquque (I heard it isn’t really brown desert but more colorful?)
Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,342,275 times
This is tough because the cities that fit your criteria are mostly in the midwest or northeast and have bad weather. I'm surprised you didn't like the NW, as your interests are perfect for that area. have you considered the san francisco bay area? Outside of that I would say Atlanta or DC. Baltimore is also an interesting choice.

Also, maybe Denver would be a good fit, although its not exactly green.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerita View Post

Seattle/Portland – too small feeling, felt far away from the rest of the country and isolated

Baltimore
Raleigh
Charlotte
All of these cities are smaller than Miami, so not sure you should be even thingking about them. Basically you limit yourself to 6 options with that requirement:
NYC
LA
Chicago
Dallas
Philly
Houston

Old 10-29-2008, 03:06 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
if seattle felt too small and isolated then that will severely limit options (like denver)

albuquerque is pretty brown and dry - they are more mild than phoenix and even get some snow, but it's very small and fairly isolated even though there is a good sense of community and outdoor activities

baltimore could work as it's smaller, but still very close to philly & DC - easy access to some outdoor activities as well

if you are in NYC now, go spend a weekend down there - it's only a few hours away

Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,180,624 times
Quote:
It was when I lived there.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,661,713 times
St. Louis may meet your needs, but the winter may be too harsh. I would think it's not as harsh as NYC or Chicago. But there are lakes and camping areas within a few hours of St. Louis, though no big mountains.

Other than the winter thing, have you thought about Colorado? Lots of mountains there obviously.

St. Louis does have suburban sprawl, but the city and inner-ring suburbs are pretty urban. But there's plenty of parks in the city, including Forest Park which is 400 acres larger than Central Park.

Even if cost of living doesn't matter, St. Louis is pretty cheap for its size.

But St. Louis Metro is half the size of Miami Metro. But Miami city is only about 50k people bigger than St. Louis City. Asking for only cities larger than Miami metro is kind of limiting yourself.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 AM

205 posts, read 738,394 times
Sounds like you're looking for the same mythical town that I am! If it weren't for the weather, I'd suggest Philadelphia, as there are some very friendly East Coast liberal type neighborhoods. If you want more mild weather, you need to go south or west. Philadelphia is the southernmost Northern City. From when I read on CD, I think you could do well in San Francisco (sometimes called the city on the wrong coast) or maybe Denver?

Old 10-31-2008, 05:52 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,913,467 times
Quote:
Sorry, another request on suggestions of where I should look into moving to. I have been looking on these boards for over a year now and even posted looking for suggestions. I had checked out a few of the suggestions that I thought I would really like and liked them for visiting but couldn’t picture myself living there (i.e. Portland, OR and Seattle, WA). Also some criteria has changed. I have some extra vacation days coming up so would like to continue checking out places in the next few months.

About me:
Single, 34 yr old female, leaning towards left/liberal but more of an East Coast Liberal (vs. West Coast liberal). Interests include running, triathlons, hiking, travel, book stores, ethnic restaurants, dog park, lead a healthy life-style. Not into the party scene at all but goes out occasionally for a drink.

Looking for:
Mild Climate – my definition of “mild climate” is any winter that is better than NYC’s - Do like change of seasons but can do without winter. Love fall/spring.
Ethnically/racial diverse area. I am Caucasian and do not want to live in an all-white area.
Driving distance from weekend activities – be it the mountains, the beach, the forest, camping…just SOMETHING!
Area with singles in their mid-30’s where I will not be looked at as a freak for not being married with kids at that age
Friendly – I don’t need you to bake me milk and cookies when I move in BUT it would be nice if we could exchange “hello’s” while passing in the apartment complex hall-way or get a “thank you” when I hold the door open for you (unlike where I live now)

NYC – live there now, looking to move elsewhere. After 5 yrs, I am not energized by NYC and while I have some great friends, I am more “mid-western”
Chicago – lived there for 20+ yrs. Love the city but too cold in winter for me, too flat, and other personal reasons
Miami – lived there for 3 yrs – too suburban, too much sprawl, too flat (note was not too small for me), no change of seasons really

Baltimore
Raleigh
Charlotte
Atlanta
Boy this is a tough one Guerita!

You want a milder climate but one that still has a spring and fall. You want a lot of green vegetation. You also do not want suburban, don't want a flat area, or a city smaller than Miami. All this pretty much rules out most of the "possible ideas" you have!

San Francisco seems the best bet. It is a city built on hilly and even mountainous terrain as well as being next to the Pacific ocean. And right up the road is the beautiful northern California coast and even Napa valley. To the south is Monterey and Big Sur. Pretty diverse city and I do not think anyone cares about whether your married or not lol.

Atlanta You said that your not crazy about suburbs but I would not rule out Atlanta. It is a much less dense city than NY but it is certainly big enough to provide most of what you want. A very green forest city lol. The southern Appalachians are not far either.

I know you mentioned you do not like suburban or smaller cities but I still think you might like parts of Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, Georgia or perhaps Kentucky - do not rule them out! You will miss some big city things but you will gain more of what a smaller community offers - I found this out personally.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:31 AM

19 posts, read 119,143 times
Wow! I'm in the same boat Guerita! I'm from NYC (Brooklyn born & raised), 33 yrs old, and am DESPERATE to leave NYC. I have been browsing this board for the past year trying to figure out where to go... I don't consider myself a "city girl" (even though I've been here my whole life!) but also not a "country girl". I was thinking San Diego & San Francisco for a long time but the cost of living scares me - the reason I want to move from here is so that I can actually move somewhere and actually be able to afford to buy a home! Also west coast may be too far from my family (my sister lives in FL and my Mom & bro's live in NYC). Based on the readings here, I'm now considering Raleigh, NC! Let us know where you decide Guerita!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,549 times
Quote:

About me:

Looking for:

Baltimore
Raleigh
Charlotte
Atlanta
Actually, there is a great bit of diversity in the Pacific NW. I live on the Long Beach Peninsula. I moved here from South Florida, and was a bit aprehensive since I am not used to snow at all. The climate here is perfect for me. It does not get too hot and muggy in the summer, but usually stays in the 70's. and does not get too much snow in the winter. It snows occasionally, but rarely sticks for more than a day. The scenery is gorgeous, and while I am walking distance to the beach, it is only a short drive (a couple hours) to areas such as Mt. Hood, if I were interested in winter activities such as skiing. I live in a small town rural environment, but it is a short drive to the big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.