Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your race?
White non-hispanic 177 55.84%
Hispanic/Latino/Spanish (black or white) 28 8.83%
Asian 23 7.26%
Black or African American 56 17.67%
Other/Mixed 33 10.41%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
Interesting to know what race's everyone here is

Used to be the mile, but now I just hike.

Race is an artificial, not scientific, construct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 09:32 AM

65 posts, read 147,150 times
It is a political delineation that only serves an administrative or business/marketing purpose. It is another method by which to categorize and sub-categorize certain sectors of a general constituency with Machiavellian intentions (of course this is just conjecture). Separate groups by race, gender, age, religion, income, education, etc. Once this happens, sub-categories can develop (political designations, sexual orientation, music preferences, diet preferences, choice of clothing, environmental or personal safety concerns, etc) which have their purpose of "defining" an individual. When one has such neat categories, one can make such simplistic assertions such as: white, middle-aged male in a middle-class household is a Republican, Christian, wears Dockers, owns a gun, eats meat, and listens to classic rock. A black, young adult (18-34) male, who wears baggy pants (no other information given), can be assumed to be low income, listens to rap/hip-hop, is a Democrat, but also owns a gun.
Why is it so important to align oneself with a particular group that is based on a social construct and has no scientific basis? When one does that, they are then pressured to take on the trappings of that category, as defined by media outlets and society itself at large (it is a self-regulatory system). A person can be safe in their blind generalizations that a suburban kid will be emo while an urban kid will be hip-hop because it is what society expects (it is what society receives the majority of the time).
What does all this rambling mean? That race is another cog in the wheel of the same old divide and conquer scheme exercised by those in power to bring dissent and disunity amongst the common ranks; to get people to take their minds away from how they are being manipulated to adopt the worldview they believe is right-all to the satisfaction of corporate interests, who make millions of dollars on specialty products and services that cater to certain categories, accentuating the divide (big chrome wheels, Prada handbags, spiky green mohawks, Toyota Prius).

What do I know about anything.....my thoughts on society have just as much worth or is as equally worthless as anyone else's.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:14 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
Default What is myy race?

The mile run.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:52 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
bravo! bravo! what a great post by JS20000, it can be frustrating but what are you going to do with that intuition and knowledge of yours? Don't get down from seeing all of the sheeple walking like zombies on a day to day basis. There ARE people out there who share your opinions and I am one of them.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:07 PM

451 posts, read 1,323,727 times
Asian

Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
I don't believe in this term. It is antiquated. Recent DNA studies have proven that a Swede may be more genetically linked to an African or Asian than another Swede. The lines are so evasive. What makes a person white or black? What makes a person yellow or red? These are all OLD forms of bias meant to add to our collective stupidity. There are lots of "white" folks who look black and lots of "black" folks who look white. Let's try to stop the insane gereralities about people.

If we just take Africa and Europe, we can see the degrees of skin tone change gradually. At what point do we decide as a people to draw the line and say,"He's black or he's white"? Throw in those folks in the south Pacific and it becomes a real quandry.

We are one race--the human race. We come from different backgrounds and there may be seven degrees of separation but that's about it. I won't call myself white or any other generality.

My mother's family came from Quebec (French Canadian) but God only knows who everyone was messing with before that. My father's mother was an immigrant from Holland and his father was Menominee Indian. So, what does that make me? Are we that ignorant as a nation to refer to people like me as an Other?????? What the hell is that????

As people date and mate and life continues, these words will make a lot of sense. Let's get over it now because there are tons of folks who don't relate to these simplistic terms anymore.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:57 PM

353 posts, read 905,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryoyo View Post
What's your race?
Human

Old 10-31-2008, 05:01 PM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times
Yes, there are black hispanics. o.O The Dominican Republic and Equatorial Guinea are both Spanish-speaking, though I don't know whether the people from the latter would actually call themselves hispanic. But yeah, I even have a hispanic uncle who's Asian (Born and raised in Mexico of Japanese ancestory).

Old 10-31-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I don't believe in this term. It is antiquated. Recent DNA studies have proven that a Swede may be more genetically linked to an African or Asian than another Swede.
If you have a link to that study I'd be very interested in reading it.
Most of the recent genetic studies I've read say there is a very strong genetic link between the peoples of Europe, the Jews and Arabs. Though there has been much intermarriage between Eastern Slavs and Asians, perhaps the Swedes did the same.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post

If we just take Africa and Europe, we can see the degrees of skin tone change gradually. At what point do we decide as a people to draw the line and say,"He's black or he's white"? Throw in those folks in the south Pacific and it becomes a real quandry.
Skin color has nothing to do with "race."
Your second point about arbitrary distinctions between such "races" is accurate, but are you committing a slippery slope fallacy? --Simply because separating the arm and the hand at a specific place will create a somewhat arbitrary distinction doesn't mean that the arm and the hand are not distinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.