Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 AM

178 posts, read 480,873 times

Advertisements

Phoenix is the 5th largest metropolitan city in the nation. It boasts all five major sports teams. It tends to not have a big history as it was not seriously a map mark until the 70s. What I would like to know is what do you, the person who has not lived here, think when you think Phoenix. What type of sterio type is my city bassed on? Did you know Phoenix had 4.8 million people? What is the signature food you think about when you think of Phoenix? When you think of big cities where does Phoenix place with you? Do you think we all wear cowboy hats? Go ahead and just be honest and describe my town the way you see it. I want to get the national perspective and reattach the thread in my city forum so others can really see what Phoenix appears to be to the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
View Scottsdale as the epicenter of Phx, much like BevHills is epicenter of LA region...

Phx is simply a much younger, smaller, more desert-like, cheaper version of LA, w/o the media and entertainment industry....or a more populated version of LV w/o the gaming and entertainment industry...

Scottsdale has many good restaurants, hotels (esp Phoenician)...many talented young women from ASU...popular winter wkend home for those w/bucks from Chic....

Phx region economy is much like that of Dall/Hou/Atl....a lower-cost place for back-office operations of companies...so lots of low-wage, low-skill jobs; very few high-income jobs or smart people....Phx becomes esp gruesome once one leaves Scottsdale area (sort of like how LA quickly degenerates outside Westside)....the foreclosure ethos is similar to that of LV, LA's inland valleys, FL, CA's CentralValley, etc....

Old 10-29-2008, 09:51 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
I have never been to Phoenix, but from the descriptions I here, the articles that I read about it, their regional economy, and photographs, I think is like any of the other Sunbelt cities like Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. The only difference is that I don't think Phoenix has as much history as those three. Also, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta have more vibrant intown neighborhoods than Phoenix where a lot of the younger crowd hangs out in suburban Scottsdale.

One more point, a lot of people in major Sunbelt cities like to compare themselves to LA or say that they're the "mini-LA". I know, because people say that stuff at times here in Atlanta and I've heard some Dallasites and Houstonians describe their city as such. Let's make it clear that neither of the big 3 Sunbelt cities--including Phoenix--are a "mini-LA"! I'm sorry but LA is a very unique city, and an Alpha world-class city at that. It's also a lot more dense. Having a city with horrible traffic congestion and a sizeable douchebag population doesn't qualify it for being a "mini-LA".

Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
PHX does not have 4.8 million people.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 AM

"Sizeable douchebag population" I like it, that is the kind of stuff I'm looking for keep it comming! Possitive Negative Factual Steriotypical just honestly what you think, know and believe. Keep it comming!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:02 AM

Stev-o the metro area combined does.....

Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I actually had a much higher opinion of Phoenix until I went there.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garisonthebull View Post
Stev-o the metro area combined does.....
I know, but you didnt state that. HUGE difference.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:12 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I know, but you didnt state that. HUGE difference.
Actually the 2007 Census population estimate for the Phoenix MSA is 4,179,427. That's a big difference from 4.8 million.

I've found Phoenix to be rather dull. For a city that size, it's uninspiring and drab, and it's summer heat is oppressive, dry or not.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Smile Please read this

I am afraid the outside world does not have a very favorable opinion of Phoenix. This article is from another forum.

This the real Phoenix
Phoenix is well compared as a larger version of Fresno or maybe even a little tinge of El Paso you know a big dry dusty flavorless giant suburb of tile rooftops with rocks and dirt. A stucco and concrete jungle. A large portion of it run down and riddled with illegals. A cultureless expanse of transplants with no sense of community. A sprawling generic cookie cutter village of endless redundance. All you see is the same shopping center and master planned community over and over again. Its a colorless empty ghost town with very little to do at all. It's a work and go home type of place that is monotonous and grinding. It's a lifeless pointless meaningless nowhere land. This place was better off being left as a cotton field. They had no business breaking the ground in order to put up their featureless architectually void dull drab developements sprawling for ridiculous distances in all directions. Phoenix is Bedroom Community dependant and freeway lacking. It reeks of John F. Longs slums.It is landlocked by Indian reservations. It is one big giant FOR SALE SIGN! wich is really an SOS flag for all the homes sinking into foreclosure and cluttering the landscape with abandoned houses over ran with weeds and broken windows. Can't you see that to most people Phoenix is just a stepping stone for transplants who hold their real loyalty to their hometown. Why do you think that theres no sense of community here.

Listen garison most people who like phoenix probably have not seen the other great cities like Dallas, Houston and Atlanta. All of these are much better choices than Phoenix. Phoenix is too close to L.A to be of any regional importance. It has the same problem as the inland empire. It is a step child. Google just tried to open an office there and couldn't because they say Phoenix has no talent. Now what does that tell you??

Last edited by jd433; 10-29-2008 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.