U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,289,213 times

Advertisements

I wonder if you guys could help me out
I spoke to my close friend in Wyoming and he said that he could get my boyfriend a job in these US states:

East Texas

Western Colorado

Louisiana

Oklahoma

North Dakota

Now i've never been to any of these places but i do know that cost of living is a major thing and crime levels. I also wanna be somewhere that isn't in decline due to poverty etc.

My boyfriend said he will go anywhere so it leaves me to decide which i hate doing.

I need help lol. Im looking at all aspects, cost of living, hunting, growth, economy etc.

The pay is still at $80K for him.

Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
all of those should be fairly comfortable at that salary - pending the metro you'll be near

all are fairy different though and the climates between them are a full range as well - if you don't like cold weather than ND may not be a great fit, even if you love everything else

also all those states are very large - by western CO do you mean down in the area around durango, up towards grand junction?

how close do you want to be towards major metros, etc

Old 10-31-2008, 02:57 PM

Well I just got a call my boyfriend has been offered a job near Oklahoma city, OK.

I've never been here so im not sure what this city is like. Nightlife wise, economy of the state, i am not wanting to be in a poor area with alot of crime. Is this area good for young people? I hope i can get a job as a nurse there.

I hope there isn't alot of severe weather there.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:04 PM

1,821 posts, read 4,637,968 times
If you are concerned about severe weather stay away from Oklahoma City. Right smack dab in tornado alley and they get some nasty storms.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:13 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
there is definitely a lot of severe weather and it visually couldn't be much different than scotland (which I absolutely adore)

I would wander over to the OK threads and read a little in there - would probably be a bit more pointed

Old 10-31-2008, 05:03 PM

Scotland doesn't have severe weather like Tornado alley. We get some windy days of 50MPH and rain but winters are freezing so i wouldn't say so.

We dont get tornados etc

Old 10-31-2008, 05:18 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,726,458 times
Weather is an issue in OK City. Storms (tornados), and winter storms with lots of wind. However, of the states/areas of states you mentioned, OKC is probably the medium city within them where your money will go the farthest. OK's cost of living is very low, for housing and for everything else. The city is about 500K population with a larger metro region. Traffic is very good for the size of the city - almost no rush hour at all. However, the city is very spread out and you will be doing a lot of driving. Like all cities, there are good parts and there are bad parts. Do your research before moving.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:34 PM

Depends how often the tornados occur though. Does east Texas get severe weather like OKC?

I know that my boyfriend doesn't mind commuting as he will only be working there (7 on 7 off) I guess we could live near Tulsa or in Missour or even Texas.

Is there good nightlife in OKC and Tulsa?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Default New States Needed

We keep talking about the same old states all the time. We need some new ones.

Where do you think would be a good place to put them, and what should they be like?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:06 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,807,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Depends how often the tornados occur though. Does east Texas get severe weather like OKC?

I know that my boyfriend doesn't mind commuting as he will only be working there (7 on 7 off) I guess we could live near Tulsa or in Missour or even Texas.

Is there good nightlife in OKC and Tulsa?
East Texas does get severe weather but it's not as often as OKC. What part of East Texas were you thinking about? The farther north you go in Texas the more severe weather you get. Between Tyler and Lufkin you could probably see a lot of big storms. South of that area you get fewer big storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or