Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 02:35 PM

305 posts, read 988,450 times

Advertisements

Has anyone out their ever been scammed by getting products from Infomercials? I have heard about and read about all kinds of people falling prey to these scammers. What do ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 02:58 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,944,208 times
My biz fell victim to a different scam...

A long distance company called my company to solicit our biz. They were extremely aggressive and just would not take 'no' for an answer. Finally, they asked her a question to which she responded, "Yes, but we're not interested."

The next month, I get our long distance phone bill and find we're being charged 50 cents a MINUTE by some long distance operator I'd never heard of. As it turned out, because my receptionist had used the word "Yes" at some point in the conversation, even though it was obvious that she was not saying, "Yes, we want your long-distance service," they rang that up as a sale.

I got my attorneys involved and eventually things were made right.

That being said, if you get a telephone solicitor, never say the word "Yes" in the conversation for any reason. For the really sleazy operators will fleece you. A classic case of give an inch and they'll take a mile.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:41 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
I've bought a few things at the Dollar General store for a couple of bucks, and nothing works.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,600,297 times
The entire population is being scammed by a guy who had 30 minute infomercial the other night!

Old 11-01-2008, 07:00 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,052,996 times
I have several wealthy Nigerian relatives who left me with their fortunes.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:43 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,311,564 times
You ought to take the junk back and get your $$$ back.
Dollar stores in general (no pun intended) sell cheap junk, and the main reason we buy it is because it's cheap. it's not just limited to dollar stores either.
took my van to have tires put on it, and told the propreitor I wanted tires made in the USA. he said the tires were made in findley, ohio. after a couple of weeks, I got down to see what the load range was for the tires and discovered the "made in china" label. took the van back to him and argued the point, and, got my wish, American made tires. they costed about $20 more per tire, but, I didn't care, safety is my objective when I drive. so, you see, I think the store owner knew what he was doing, putting on the cheapies, but probably counted on me not calling him on it. we have to learn how to watch out for scammers, these days it seems everybody is after your wallet, or tries to pull the wool over your eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've bought a few things at the Dollar General store for a couple of bucks, and nothing works.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM

Phone scammers: every week, I receive about 3 calls of people trying to sell me this or that. to be brief, the best thing a person can do when receiving calls such as these is say "NO-not interested" and, hang up on them. my wife did the same thing, she said yes or ok, and when I received the phone bill, I nearly had a fit. I had to tell my wife that no matter who calls when I'm on the road, to tell them no thanks, and hang up. always say "no".
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My biz fell victim to a different scam...

A long distance company called my company to solicit our biz. They were extremely aggressive and just would not take 'no' for an answer. Finally, they asked her a question to which she responded, "Yes, but we're not interested."

The next month, I get our long distance phone bill and find we're being charged 50 cents a MINUTE by some long distance operator I'd never heard of. As it turned out, because my receptionist had used the word "Yes" at some point in the conversation, even though it was obvious that she was not saying, "Yes, we want your long-distance service," they rang that up as a sale.

I got my attorneys involved and eventually things were made right.

That being said, if you get a telephone solicitor, never say the word "Yes" in the conversation for any reason. For the really sleazy operators will fleece you. A classic case of give an inch and they'll take a mile.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:54 PM

305 posts, read 988,450 times
I took my car in to have the oil changed and to find outI was charged and nothing was changed. None of my fluid levels. This was supposedly a reputable place. Spose they figured they could take adantage of me till I sprouted my horns.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:04 PM

36,628 posts, read 67,158,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icequeen2008 View Post
I took my car in to have the oil changed and to find outI was charged and nothing was changed. None of my fluid levels. This was supposedly a reputable place. Spose they figured they could take adantage of me till I sprouted my horns.
That's awful.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:04 PM

Mostly, the people being scammed are the ones at a disadvantage of knowledge. I've seen mechanics take advantage of people who know nothing about their car, and are subsequently overcharged for parts or services, because the person working on the car will lie about what is needed for a repair. Other scammers can be home repair and home improvements. I have known of private contractors that would start a job, and not return to complete it for weeks, months, and sometimes never come back to finish it. people should be aware that reputable persons, contractors, will never ask for money up front before the task is begun. if a repair person asks for money up front before any work is started, consider this approach highly suspicious. never ever pay someone upfront costs.
there is a web site that will give consumers information about scams and ripoffs, and it's called ripoffreport.com. for local home repairs, people should contact their local government office of building inspections department for information about local contractors. protect yourselves from being preyed upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.