U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:19 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,584,239 times

Advertisements

Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 02:50 AM

774 posts, read 1,699,118 times
I'm surprised nobody mentioned New York City being much different from the rest of New York State.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,918,613 times
St. Louis isn't like the rest of Missouri.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:02 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,068,841 times
Duluth/MN
Dubuque/IA
Butte/MT
Baltimore/MD
Seattle/WA
Portland/OR
Jacksonville/FL
El Paso/TX
Pueblo/CO

Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,350,634 times
Boulder is very different from the rest of Colorado because it is so liberal and Colorado is mostly conservative.
Rapid City is different from the rest of South Dakota because there are actual mountains and it's not humid.
El Paso is different from the rest of Texas because it is very Mexican in atmosphere.
Las Vegas isn't only different from any city in Nevada but in the country!
Portland is very different from the rest of Oregon too. Not only politically but environmentally too.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:33 AM

2,237 posts, read 6,571,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
Minneapolis is nothing like Chi. Philly and Chi have too many things in common to list.
Then please name them, because as far as I see it they are two very different cities.

Chicago: 9.5 million metro
Philadelphia: 5.8 million metro

Chicago: Irish-German
Philadelphia: Irish-Italian

Chicago: Bungalows
Philadelphia: All row houses

Chicago: wide streets (Chicago benefited immensely from the urban mistakes of the Northeast in this respect)
Philadelphia: narrow alleyways

Chicago: Humid Continental Climate
Philadelphia: Humid Subtropical Climate

Chicago: IMO friendly
Philadelphia: IMO rude

As far as I'm concerned Chicago and Philadelphia don't line up on the major characteristics: size, demographics, housing structure, city layout.
Personally, I don't even think the cultures are similar...simply because they both vote democratic mean they're similar in that respect.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:28 PM

784 posts, read 2,052,050 times
Easy NEW YORK CITY, what other city in New York state is like NYC...easy answer

Old 11-04-2008, 09:36 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,469,478 times
NYC is different from Upstate.

Miami is a totally different world from the rest of FL.

Memphis is blacker and flatter than the rest of TN.

Is Vegas different from the rest of NV?

New Orleans is TOTALLY different from the rest of LA.

Austin is different...from Dallas and Houston that is. I'd think TX is too large and populous of a state to peg it as monolithic.

I always thought Philly was totally different from the rest of PA

Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,080,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I think Minneapolis is probably more similar to Chicago than Philly.
I've never been to Philly, so I don't know the similarities they may share with Chicago. I used to live in Minnesota, however, and I never thought Minneapolis was similar to Chicago. If there's any city in the Midwest that may be "somewhat" like Chicago, that might be Milwaukee. They both have, among other things, beautiful Lake Michigan lake fronts and a similar "city proper" ethnicity. They also each have their own very strong traditions, that are exclusive to each city.

Certainly they're not close in size, but metro Milwaukee runs into metro Chicago without any kind of a break. My brother lives in WI just south of Milwaukee, and his city is included in Chicago's metro area, rather than Milwaukee's. I think it's good that Milwaukee can maintain its own identity, while literally being in the shadows of a great city like Chicago.

I like Minneapolis, I just don't think it's like Chicago.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:33 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,068,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Then please name them, because as far as I see it they are two very different cities.

Chicago: 9.5 million metro
Philadelphia: 5.8 million metro

Chicago: Irish-German
Philadelphia: Irish-Italian

Chicago: Bungalows
Philadelphia: All row houses

Chicago: wide streets (Chicago benefited immensely from the urban mistakes of the Northeast in this respect)
Philadelphia: narrow alleyways

Chicago: Humid Continental Climate
Philadelphia: Humid Subtropical Climate

Chicago: IMO friendly
Philadelphia: IMO rude

As far as I'm concerned Chicago and Philadelphia don't line up on the major characteristics: size, demographics, housing structure, city layout.
Personally, I don't even think the cultures are similar...simply because they both vote democratic mean they're similar in that respect.
Your characterizing Chi as "Irish-German" and Philly as "Irish-Italian" is too simplistic. Actually, Philadelphia is more German than your post might suggest (especially in comparison to Italians). Here's how each city breaks down among the 3 ethnic groups you have cited:
Phil. :13.6% Irish/9.2% Italian/8.1% German
Chgo: 6.6% Irish/3.5% Italian/6.5% German
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or