U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM

5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I've never been to Philly, so I don't know the similarities they may share with Chicago. I used to live in Minnesota, however, and I never thought Minneapolis was similar to Chicago. If there's any city in the Midwest that may be "somewhat" like Chicago, that might be Milwaukee. They both have, among other things, beautiful Lake Michigan lake fronts and a similar "city proper" ethnicity. They also each have their own very strong traditions, that are exclusive to each city.

Certainly they're not close in size, but metro Milwaukee runs into metro Chicago without any kind of a break. My brother lives in WI just south of Milwaukee, and his city is included in Chicago's metro area, rather than Milwaukee's. I think it's good that Milwaukee can maintain its own identity, while literally being in the shadows of a great city like Chicago.

I like Minneapolis, I just don't think it's like Chicago.
Having lived in both, I agree, Milw. is much more like Chicago than Minneapolis in many many ways. One thing I've noticed about Milwaukee is how similar the shape and layout of the city is to Chicago. Both have their downtowns fronting Lake Michigan, about halfway between the northern and southern city limits. Look how the major streets are laid out, too (Chi/Milw):

Lake Shore Drive = Lake Drive
Lincoln Ave. = Fond du Lac Ave.
Grand Ave = Lisbon Ave
North Ave. = North Ave.
Harlem Ave = Sherman Blvd.
Madison St. = Wisconsin Ave.
Ogden Ave. = National Ave.
Archer Ave. = Forest Home Ave.
Michigan Ave. = S. 1st St.
Outer Dr. = Kinnickkinnick Ave.
Lincoln Park = Lake Park
upscale Kenilworth/Willmette/Glenview = upscale Whitefish Bay/Fox Point
blue collar Berwyn/Cicero = blue collar West Milwaukee/West Allis.

Probably more, but you get the idea...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:34 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,266,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008 View Post
My pick would have to be Chicago. There is nothing else remotly even close to it in the mid west. The nearest city that is like it is Philly, which is over 11 hours away.
What about Seattle, Portland (OR), and Boston?

Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Default Actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
The mostly black Detroit is night and day drastically different from the rest of Michigan which is mostly white.
Flint is mostly Black and so are Benton Harbor, some suburbs of Detroit like Southfield, Oak Park, Inkster and possibly River Rouge, among others and Muskegon Heights. Saginaw is up there or close to being mostly Black. Same with Muskegon. There many communities, big and small, with above average Black populations in Michigan too. It's a state with a 14% Black population, which isn't bad considering the US is roughly 13% Black.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Fairly large towns in southern Michigan have very substantial black populatins. Most of them are around 20% black, Saginaw is 40% and Benton Harbor 92% black.
Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. This true and even some smaller cities and towns like Albion, Ypsilanti, Cassopolis, Buchanan, Pontiac, Covert and many more fit this description.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:49 PM

I would say:
Denver- a city that is diverse and "liberal" in a state that isn't either, with some exceptions, once you leave it.

Gary, Indiana-a very Black steel city in a pretty conservative state, but is close to Chicago and might be more affiliated with that area.

East St. Louis, Illinois-similar to the Gary info., but switch Chicago with St. Louis

Miami and Louisville come to mind too.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:07 PM

3,884 posts, read 8,963,673 times
Well I would say Sedona, AZ is very different from the rest of the state. It's very different from pretty much anywhere. Phoenix is really different than most as well.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:46 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Interesting thread topic! Point to the OP!

I don't know enough about any state outside the "Greater South" to offer an astute opinion, and even within I really have nothing original to offer.

The easy ones are Atlanta in Georgia, Austin in Texas, and New Orleans in Louisiana. Although it is very important to note, I think, that the latter is different in its difference! LOL That is to say, it has always been a bit different from the rest of Louisiana. And, for that reason, actually blends in a bit with the whole character of the state itself...if that makes any sense!

On the other hand, Atlanta and Austin have been changed largely by the result of northern migration (and California in the case of Austin).

Old 11-07-2008, 06:50 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,110,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
El Paso is different from the rest of Texas because it is very Mexican in atmosphere.
Absolutely right, DB! I guess because I have always considered El Paso "odd man out" in many ways, when it comes to Texas, I just overlooked it completely! LOL My bad..as they say!

Old 11-09-2008, 03:02 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,802,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would say:
Denver- a city that is diverse and "liberal" in a state that isn't either, with some exceptions, once you leave it.

Gary, Indiana-a very Black steel city in a pretty conservative state, but is close to Chicago and might be more affiliated with that area.

East St. Louis, Illinois-similar to the Gary info., but switch Chicago with St. Louis

Miami and Louisville come to mind too.
Why hello, it has been quite a while since you have visited the Buffalo area forum , we need your insight back in Buffalo!

BTW - great relevant post.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Not all of Louisville is that way. Also, isn't Lexington pretty Catholic?
Not to the degree seen in Louisville. I do think Lexington is becoming more like Louisville (more Liberal politically, racially diverse) as the number of immigrants from the NorthEast continues pouring in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or