U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:10 PM

216 posts, read 612,117 times

Advertisements

Id say Chicago. It's a very different than everything that surrounds it. I'd also say New Orleans. Leave the city proper of NOLA and it becomes very conservative. And then Austin, TX. Very different than the rest of the state and TX is a big state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 02:19 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosez View Post
Id say Chicago. It's a very different than everything that surrounds it. I'd also say New Orleans. Leave the city proper of NOLA and it becomes very conservative. And then Austin, TX. Very different than the rest of the state and TX is a big state.
Houston is nothing like Austin, Austin is nothing like Dallas, Dallas is nothing like El Paso, and etc.

Austin isn't the only city that stands out in the state of Texas.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 AM

94 posts, read 185,610 times
New Orleans is totally different from North Louisiana, but not as different from the rest of South Louisiana. In most smaller cities in South Louisiana you find cajun/creole influences, mardi gras, jazz and cajun music, french, and great seafood. The region of South Louisiana is unlike anywhere else in the country, but it is not restricted to the city of New Orleans. Most music you hear on New Orleans CD's is from the surrounding area, especially Acadiana.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 AM

302 posts, read 545,912 times
Quote:
New Orleans is totally different from North Louisiana, but not as different from the rest of South Louisiana. In most smaller cities in South Louisiana you find cajun/creole influences, mardi gras, jazz and cajun music, french, and great seafood. The region of South Louisiana is unlike anywhere else in the country, but it is not restricted to the city of New Orleans. Most music you hear on New Orleans CD's is from the surrounding area, especially Acadiana.
Agree to Agree. North Louisiana and South Louisiana certainly are almost 2 different cultures. It might as well be seperate States.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,756,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosenola View Post
New Orleans is vastly different from Baton Rouge and Acadiana (Lafayette to Lake Charles and Cameron Parish). Of course they influence each other, but they are very different. Then looking at a larger scale, south La is completely different than north La. Its like Louisiana and Texas/Arkansas.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 PM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
I once heard a Pennsylvanian describe his home state as Philadelphia being in New Jersey, Pittsburgh in Ohio, and the Bible Belt/Apalachia in between. Fairly accurate I would say.

El Paso is certainly a big contrast to the rest of Texas: mountains, desert, and a big Mexican influence. There are still cowboys and a huge milatary base which reminded me I was still in Texas, but the topgraphy denotes being somewhere else.

For a small state New Hampshire is described as northern Mass south of Concord and the real NH north of Concord. Likewise for Maine being a continuation of Mass south of Portland and the real Maine north of Portland.

When I'm in Raleigh, and particularly Cary, NC I don't feel like I'm in the south. I feel like I'm in Connecticut with Piedmont southern pines.

I once heard somebody in Austin say it was like being in West Berlin, not sure if I agree but an interesting point of view nonetheless

Florida:
Panhandle/Jacksonville- southern Georgia and Alabama,
Orlando & Gulf/West Coast - tropical Michigan/Wisconsin/Ontario
South Florida: Palm Beach to Miami - New York/New Jersey/Santo Domingo/Havana/Port Au Prince/Bogata all rolled into one.

------------------------------------------------------------
In contrast to some other postings, I say in spite of poitics

New Orleans could only be in Louisiana
Seattle could only be in Washington
Portland could only be in Oregon
Boulder could only be in Colorado
LA and San Francisco could only be in California
Minneapolis/St. Paul could only be in Minnesota

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 03-23-2011 at 12:33 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 12:10 AM

43 posts, read 47,728 times
by the way muskegon/muskegon heights are the same city 23% black out of around 49,000 people

Last edited by GreatLakesStateofMind; 06-27-2011 at 12:22 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
While New York City is different from its state, I would not say it is so different from its region if you consider its region to be the densely populated coastal strip from Philadelphia to Boston and their associated inland suburbs.

In many ways, the Urban Mid-Atlantic and Urban New England are much closer, culturally speaking, than rural New York and Pennsylvania are to rural New England.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:03 PM

884 posts, read 1,523,185 times
Cities like these come to mind:

Chicago
Atlanta
Austin
Dallas proper
New Orleans

And I heard that Butte, Montana is the polar opposite of what one would expect Montana in general to be, but I've never been there so I'm not sure.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:21 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,018,711 times
San Francisco. I'm very serious in that the rest of California isn't nearly as old or high density. Sprawling suburbia or rural ranchettes are much more fitting of a description of the rest of Central and Northern California. Its also much more Asian (especially Chinese) than most areas of California. While California as a whole is fairly liberal, inland and suburban areas aren't even remotely close to San Francisco in left-leaning politics. In fact, the Central Valley, Sierra and far Northern California are oftentimes as conservative and Republican as many "red" states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or