U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times

Advertisements

Miami is VERY different from the rest of Florida. It doesn't feel like it's in the same country, no less the same state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM

6,056 posts, read 10,842,870 times
Which American cities are the most dissmilar/unlike the rest of its state/region:

1. Denver: Denver is a major city in the inner West region which is mostly lots of nature areas and rural. It is also one of the most isolated major cities in the USA. Just 2 hours north of Denver by car is the state of Wyoming which is one of the most rural, non urban places in the USA

2. Chicago: It truly stands out in the Midwest region and in the state it is in(Illinois).

3. Miami: Miami metro stands out in its own state(Florida) and from the surrounding regions that are part of the Southeastern USA to the point where it is not even considered by most to be part of the Southeastern USA region.

4. Salt Lake City: Salt Lake City is much more liberal and urban than the rest of Utah by far. The only other place in Utah that has some similarities to Salt Lake City is the small mountain town of Park City nearby.

5. New Orleans: It seems to be very different from the rest of Louisiana. It also somewhat sticks out for the Southeastern USA region.

6. Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh still seems like a relatively stable, booming, and urban city in the Appalachian region of the USA which is a sharp contrast from the other regions in the Appalachian region. It also is a place that stands out in the state it is in for Western Pennsylvania.

*Some areas that are part of the Appalachian region: Wet Virginia, eastern parts of Ohio, Central and Western parts of Pennsylvania, Eastern Kentucky, Eastern Tennessee, Northern Alabama).

7. Flagstaff: It is a city of 60,000 people in North Central Arizona. Flagstaff is much more colder and snowier than other parts of Arizona. This area of Arizona is also more lush and less desert like than most other parts of Arizona.

8. El Paso: El Paso has much more of a Western feel than parts of Texas in the Houston, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio areas.
It also is in a much more arid and desert like area than those other areas of Texas.

Also, El Paso is one of the most safest cities in the USA with a low crime rate but it shares a border with Ciudad Juarez, Mexico which is just across a small river from El Paso city limits. Ciudad Juarez is one of the most dangerous and highest crime rate places in the world.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 18 days ago)

8,689 posts, read 10,836,637 times
Phoenix--when you travel away from it, it becomes an instant vast desert, rural, people more "cowboyish" (not redneck). Northern Arizona has no relation to Phoenix either--different vibe completely. And, Tucson completely different from Phoenix.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 AM

6,056 posts, read 10,842,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Phoenix--when you travel away from it, it becomes an instant vast desert, rural, people more "cowboyish" (not redneck). Northern Arizona has no relation to Phoenix either--different vibe completely. And, Tucson completely different from Phoenix.
You do make good points about Phoenix being relatively dissimilar/unlike the rest of the state it is in/and region.

I actually mentioned Flagstaff in my list above your post. Do you agree with what I said about Flagstaff? Denver and El Paso are also other similar examples to Phoenix.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 18 days ago)

8,689 posts, read 10,836,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
You do make good points about Phoenix being relatively dissimilar/unlike the rest of the state it is in/and region.

I actually mentioned Flagstaff in my list above your post. Do you agree with what I said about Flagstaff? Denver and El Paso are also other similar examples to Phoenix.
Yes, Flag is in its' own category. College town, smallish, snowy, hilly/mountainous (7000 ft alt.), pine trees, a "real" downtown that's walkable. People are mellow there,compared to Phoenix, too. For a smaller area, an air of sophistication there. Probably my favorite Zonie city.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Then please name them, because as far as I see it they are two very different cities.

Chicago: 9.5 million metro
Philadelphia: 5.8 million metro

Chicago: Irish-German
Philadelphia: Irish-Italian

Chicago: Bungalows
Philadelphia: All row houses

Chicago: wide streets (Chicago benefited immensely from the urban mistakes of the Northeast in this respect)
Philadelphia: narrow alleyways

Chicago: Humid Continental Climate
Philadelphia: Humid Subtropical Climate

Chicago: IMO friendly
Philadelphia: IMO rude

As far as I'm concerned Chicago and Philadelphia don't line up on the major characteristics: size, demographics, housing structure, city layout.
Personally, I don't even think the cultures are similar...simply because they both vote democratic mean they're similar in that respect.
There are some similarities but these two cities are not polar opposites as you claim. As for size Philly is actually the closest city in population to Chicago when using mile radius measurement. So is not like the Chicago area is that much bigger than the Philadelphia area as New York City is.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 PM

20 posts, read 25,486 times
New Orleans for me. I've been there twice and I found it to be the different from the majority state. But There is no other city like it PERIOD in the U.S. It totally has it's own unique flavor and vibe which is no doubt due to the heavy French influence. It's the most unique U.S city i've been to by far.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:59 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,898,733 times
St. Louis to Missouri

Memphis to Tennessee

Paducah to Kentucky

Old 07-23-2011, 09:25 PM

97 posts, read 106,520 times
For hundreds of miles in any direction there is nothing compared to Denver-- period. Head west and you'll eventually hit Salt Lake City-- big city but no comparison. Head north and there's nothing remotely similar. Head east and nothing comes close until you hit Chicago (or northeast to Minneapolis). Head south and you'll need to get to Dallas. Colorado has many places very different from the next. As people have pointed out, Boulder, Ft. Collins have little in common with the foothills and plains that surround them, nor do they have much in common with Pueblo or Colorado Springs to the south and vice versa. Aspen and Leadville and Durango and Montrose and Telluride and Silverton and Grand Junction and Steamboat Springs and Trinidad and Alamosa and La Veta and Salida and Idaho Springs and Loveland and Greeley... All their own little worlds with very little in common. The only generic area of Colorado (in my 12 year's experience here) is on The Plains. Sterling and Ft Morgan and Springfield and Lamar and La Junta, etc are all pretty much the same-- farming and ranching towns.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,133,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosenola View Post
New Orleans is totally different from North Louisiana, but not as different from the rest of South Louisiana. Most music you hear on New Orleans CD's is from the surrounding area, especially Acadiana.
I'll agree with the first sentence in somewhat of a broad sense, if that makes sense. South Louisiana is definitely different compared to North Louisiana, which may as well be a completely different state. On the other hand New Orleans is strikingly different from the rest of South Louisiana. Sure, we all share many of the same basic foods and the same traditions but even that changes significantly in the 80 miles between BR and NO. Once you leave Orleans and Jefferson Parishes the world changes almost completely in an instant.

I disagree with the 2nd sentence, as most New Orleans CD's that are produce/found locally usually contain New Orleans artists and usually an indicatively New Orleans genre such as Jazz, Brassband, bounce, etc. versus Zydeco and what not. Usually when I come across something advertising the city with Cajun or Zydeco style music it is something geared to and playing off the ignorance of tourists.

----------------------------------------------------
As for the thread here goes from my experience.

New Orleans is different compared to both the state and the south.
Memphis is definitely different compared to Tennessee, but not a large portion of Mississippi which lies adjacent to it.
Philadelphia seems to be different from the rest of PA, but somewhat similar to South Jersey.
Likewise with New York and North Jersey.
Miami is different from North Florida, but not necessarily South Florida.
Likewise with Jacksonville, while Orlando seems to be in the middle somewhere.
I guess Austin, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or