U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 12:52 PM

2,417 posts, read 4,109,132 times

Advertisements

Been to the US four times, just got back from a Chicago to Boston trip. The day after I arrived back in England I went to a thrift store to donate some items. On my way out a woman right behind me said "Hurry up and get a pissing move on." When I turned round and looked at her she snapped "I wasn't talking to you."
Have I just been very lucky in not encountering rude and aggressive behaviour like that in the US or is it quite common and I've managed to miss it?
One of the big things I like about the US is that there seems to still be a culture of good manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 01:00 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,092,123 times
There are plenty of rude people in the USA but you need to know where to look. :-)

The fact that you are not a citizen and simply traveling and spending money in this country probably encourages most people you encounter here to be civil.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:04 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,745,065 times
In the South and the Midwest, the woman you described would have probably not fared very well at all. Manners are very entrenched. Sure, there's the occasional rude youknowwhat. But manners count here, whether you're spending money or not.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:25 PM

8,920 posts, read 13,669,438 times
There's plenty of rude people in the US but I wouldn't define the US as a rude country, nor would I define England as one. There's rude people everywhere and there's polite people everywhere.

And I agree with wilwradio, as a traveller, you're going to be mostly encountering people in customer service positions. Staff members at hotels, restaurants, airlines, possibly even public transportation - they're not going to get very far in their job if they are rude to customers.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:34 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,278,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
In the South and the Midwest, the woman you described would have probably not fared very well at all. Manners are very entrenched. Sure, there's the occasional rude youknowwhat. But manners count here, whether you're spending money or not.

i agree with you i live in the midwest(indiana) and have made trips to Illinois)) and have also made trips to the south (kentucky,Georgia,Tenessee and Alabama) and Manners are strongly instilled in our children. Manners surely do count you only have one chance to make a good impression.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:46 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,714,742 times
Well You'll encounter Rude Behavior like that generally in the Northeast, although I think it might be culture more than actual rudeness.
The Rural areas as well as the General South and Midwest have a friendly tone, and are know for their hospitality here(Esp. The south). Hence the term 'Southern Hospitality' if you've ever heard it.
But the Grass on the other side of the Hill is always greener, don't think that there is a lack of polite people in the UK. ...well their might be, idk I've never been there.
But I'm sure it couldn't be as bad as the French

Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM

149 posts, read 667,361 times
Ok I am from the Northeast and we're supposed to be known for our more abrasive character compared to other regions... But I would be shocked if I heard anyone speak like that in public.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:56 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,989,816 times
In a recent trip, a bus-driver bellowed at me and the woman behind me for not boarding the bus ahead of him. As I sat there thinking about it (wondering why I would board a bus that is NOT my destination), I got more ticked off and decided to make him accountable for himself. I was furious by then.

I got up and went over to him and, without yelling, told him it was my first day in the city, and I told him to tell me what I did wrong when I boarded that bus. He looked at me funny and I repeated, "I want YOU to tell me WHAT I did wrong as soon as I stepped into this bus!" He said nothing, that he couldn't understand why everyone was waiting for his bus. In other words, too lazy to do his job. Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or