U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the most Dissapointing?
New York City 32 18.39%
Los Angeles 24 13.79%
Chicago 25 14.37%
Houston 41 23.56%
Phoenix 33 18.97%
Philadelphia 20 11.49%
Denver 7 4.02%
San Diego 31 17.82%
Dallas 16 9.20%
Atlanta 17 9.77%
Detroit 37 21.26%
New Orleans 4 2.30%
San Francisco 9 5.17%
Las Vegas 13 7.47%
Memphis 16 9.20%
Nashville 8 4.60%
pittsburgh 9 5.17%
Miami 35 20.11%
Seattle 11 6.32%
other... 23 13.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:21 AM

263 posts, read 733,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
That says more about you than it does about London. If you found London confusing and crampt (sic) maybe you should stick to Provo, UT.
(sic)! Please, you know what's archaic or unusual? Dying early because you wouldn't brush your teeth! Here lies Trevor because he wouldn't brush his teef! He was 22! And London is CRAMPT by comparison with Los Angeles. So is new york for that matter

Old 11-07-2008, 04:31 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,881,677 times
A 4 way tie between LA, Miami, Phoenix and SF although I respect SF a little more after the residents voted to keep prostitution illegal there! YAY!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:34 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,881,677 times
How could anyone say Detroit is the most disappointing? The way people bash it on here how would anyone have any good expectations of it to be disappointed by?

Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 AM

190 posts, read 830,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
People who voted didn't vote? I thought that was impossible...
i meant post

Old 11-07-2008, 07:29 AM

190 posts, read 830,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
(sic)! Please, you know what's archaic or unusual? Dying early because you wouldn't brush your teeth! Here lies Trevor because he wouldn't brush his teef! He was 22! And London is CRAMPT by comparison with Los Angeles. So is new york for that matter
NY is not that cramped.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:39 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,363,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
I think Pittsburgh,
Now please let me explain. First off I like Pittsburgh thats why I think it is the most dissapointing. It is in such a beautiful setting. I love their bridges, their downtown skyline is beautiful and their set up is lovely. Why I think it is dissapointing is that the natural beauty and scenery doesn't match whats really there. This is coming from someone who has lived in Pittsburgh. They lack so much. They lack good bar scenes, club scenes. There are no five star restaurants. They really dont have much for restaruants of all sorts. Very few novelty shops. Their downtown doesnt really have anything out of the ordinary. Kind of plain and boring. The neighborhoods all seem similar. With all their natural beauty they dont capitalize on it like they could. The people are often cold and stuck up in passing. Their are no jobs. There is not much for festivals in the summertime, the concerts are too policed. There just is not much for fun. I could go on but I would have to say very dissapointing.
WOW, JUST WOW! I think once I got to "their neighborhoods all seem similair" that this post is just assinine. Yeah, the Pittsburgh neighborhoods are all just the same.

Typical CDF bs post.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:21 AM

5,656 posts, read 7,459,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
A 4 way tie between LA, Miami, Phoenix and SF although I respect SF a little more after the residents voted to keep prostitution illegal there! YAY!!!
Wow, San Francisco, really? If I was going to include Phoenix and LA, I would definitely trade San Francisco in for Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta on that list. I'm not saying Houston is bad, but to me it really doesn't compare to San Francisco. These other cities have more in common.

I think San Francisco is miles above the rest on this list. JMO.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 AM

2,271 posts, read 4,533,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Wow, San Francisco, really? If I was going to include Phoenix and LA, I would definitely trade San Francisco in for Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta on that list. I'm not saying Houston is bad, but to me it really doesn't compare to San Francisco. These other cities have more in common.

I think San Francisco is miles above the rest on this list. JMO.
Let's put this thread into perspective. As I understand, this thread is not to say which one is "better." It's about what your expectations are and how the city matches up to them in reality. Point is, if your expectations are too high and the city doesn't meet them, you might be dissappointed. Everyone's expectations are different. People usually have low expectations of cities like Atlanta, Dallas and Houston and usually find out it's not as bad they originally thought.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM

5,656 posts, read 7,459,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Let's put this thread into perspective. As I understand, this thread is not to say which one is "better." It's about what your expectations are and how the city matches up to them in reality. Point is, if your expectations are too high and the city doesn't meet them, you might be dissappointed. Everyone's expectations are different. People usually have low expectations of cities like Atlanta, Dallas and Houston and usually find out it's not as bad they originally thought.
Thanks.

I'll stand by my post.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:54 AM

73 posts, read 291,160 times
Why isn't Minneapolis/St Paul on the list? My wife and I have the expression 'thats so Minnesota' in reference to when people either overexagerate things or look through their rose colored glasses. (a la Lake Wobegon effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Most of those cities you always hear people complain about something, and then their is usually some truth to it. You always hear people saying how nice it is, well just a warning, its not that great!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or