U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the most Dissapointing?
New York City 32 18.39%
Los Angeles 24 13.79%
Chicago 25 14.37%
Houston 41 23.56%
Phoenix 33 18.97%
Philadelphia 20 11.49%
Denver 7 4.02%
San Diego 31 17.82%
Dallas 16 9.20%
Atlanta 17 9.77%
Detroit 37 21.26%
New Orleans 4 2.30%
San Francisco 9 5.17%
Las Vegas 13 7.47%
Memphis 16 9.20%
Nashville 8 4.60%
pittsburgh 9 5.17%
Miami 35 20.11%
Seattle 11 6.32%
other... 23 13.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:15 PM

190 posts, read 830,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I can't really say that I've approached any city with great expectations. For the most part, it seemed to me that I was ignorant of most cities until I got there. I had no mental picture of what it would be like.

I expected life in Manhattan to be difficult, and it was. I expected life in Chicago to be convenient, and it was. But beyond that, I never held expectations that a city had to "live up to".

I would nominate NYC, Chicago and LA as the most disappointing. This has nothing to do with the virtues and failures of any of them; rather, it has everything to do with their being the only cities in our country that have preestablished mental conceptions in our culture with which we associate defining attributes. I guess people go to NYC and expect to be amazed, when the only really amazing thing is 1. How different life is when you have to live in a closet that has no refrigerator, and 2. How overwhelming it can be when there are ten thousand delis on one avenue. Other than that... It can be very disappointing. There's not much else for a tourist to do in these cities.

Now if you live there, in any of the three, it's a completely different situation. But in order for something to be disappointing, there has to be a pre-existing conception that's unrealistic in nature. Cities are only truly great when you know the land and can make best use of the services and sites offered to meet your personal definition of "fun".

Now with all that said, I will say that objectively I don't see what there is to not love about San Diego. It's the best place on earth. I'd live there in a heartbeat and never leave if there were more job opportunities.
This is a very ignorant statement. Those two things you listed make you seem like a very boring person. What makes the city amazing is its variety of great architecture, culture, museums, theatres, stores, historic landmarks, sights, etc. Have you ever looked at a tour book. What is our definition of fun. Just like a previous there more to NYC than just main points in Manhattan.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:31 PM

22 posts, read 69,548 times
MCALLEN TX is the worst city I have Experience just about 99% of the people you encounter are very rude, ignorant, nobody knows anything if you need help in any way they are not able to assist you and to top it off they speak Spanish to you it will make you feel like you are in Mexico.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 967 times
Looks like Houston wining!! It's Ugly and Hideous no wonder why it doesn't appeal to people. It's Ugliness makes me wanna cry.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:56 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,326,863 times
How could Detroit possibly be disappointing? Maybe if someone from the 50s went though a time machine than they'd be incredibly disappointed but today, all Detroit gets is a bad name, so how could it be disappointing in the least?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:02 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
(sic)! Please, you know what's archaic or unusual? Dying early because you wouldn't brush your teeth! Here lies Trevor because he wouldn't brush his teef! He was 22! And London is CRAMPT by comparison with Los Angeles. So is new york for that matter

Time to grow up

Old 11-08-2008, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 18,449 times
Houston is pretty UGh. I had to go there for a family Reunion and I hated it, not a place a girl from Miami cares about at all. it was hot it was humid it was also ugly my hole experience was just awe full.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:19 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,327,571 times
That's OK. Ya'll stay wherever you are and Houstonians will continue to enjoy their thriving economy, affordable cost of living, reliable sunshine, world class museums, fine dining options, top notch medical facilities, high ranking university, and friendly residents.

As for the "ugly" charge, anyone who thinks Houston is ugly just hasn't gotten off the freeways to visit the many parts that are lovely. Contrary to popular opinion, it isn't all urban blight, traffic, and refineries.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:23 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,879,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative123 View Post
Looks like Houston wining!! It's Ugly and Hideous no wonder why it doesn't appeal to people. It's Ugliness makes me wanna cry.
Nah, that is you looking at the South or Westsides of Chicago

Old 11-08-2008, 06:28 PM

840 posts, read 2,540,491 times
Smile The poll just got skewed by people from the Phoenix forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNative123 View Post

There is a post in the Phoenix forum by someone from Houston telling them that at the time they were winning in this poll. This alerted them to the poll and since then people from the Phoenix forum having been ganging up on Houston. Now the poll is no longer valid.

This is why Houston is now winning. Before it was just Detroit and Phoenix folled by Miami.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:39 PM

129 posts, read 335,726 times
How is Houston winning this? seriously? With Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, and a handful of other dull places on the list, how can Houston lose? weird. I guess since its the 4th largest city of the nation maybe thats why people try to hate on it. If there was a list of most pleasantly surprising cities this is how I would rank them:
1. Austin
2. Toronto
3. Houston
4. Chicago
5. NYC
6. Boston
7. Philly
8. San Fran
9. New Orleans
10. Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or