U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2008, 08:51 AM

419 posts, read 855,032 times
Default In regards to topics on the Confederate flag and racism...

Rebel flag and Obama sticker: His truck will jar you - St. Petersburg Times

HUDSON The 1984 Ford F-150 pickup truck parked at the Wal-Mart Supercenter is modified with special tires for mud-bogging.
And though the truck is caked in dirt, you can still clearly see bumper stickers that honor NASCAR drivers Rusty Wallace and Kasey Kahne. Another is a mock North Carolina Terrorist Hunting Permit, and another simply says "Rebel.''
A giant North Carolina Confederate flag waves from a pole stuck in the side of the truck bed. And if you look real hard, you can see one more proclamation on the tailgate, one that catches you by surprise:
"OBAMA '08."
Eventually, the truck's owner comes out of the store with four buddies. He's wearing a straw cowboy hat, blue jeans and boots. He is friendly and introduces himself as Joshua Jones. He's a 19-year-old mechanic in northwestern Pasco County, by way of Montgomery County, N.C.
By now, he's used to the questions. How can you fly a Confederate flag, to many the symbol of racism against black Americans, and yet openly support the first black candidate for president?
"I can understand (people) being offended,'' he says, "but I want to tell them that we might have different color skin but we're all the same people, we all have hearts.
"I do not stand for racism; that flag is just my heritage," he says. "I had many family members who were in the Civil War not because of slavery but because the Union came down and burned all our towns, and if someone comes on your territory and starts a fire, you're going to want to retaliate.
"I just wish that flag, you know, me showing what I stand for, wouldn't upset people," he continues. "I know it does and I totally understand where they're coming from, I just wish they could understand where I'm coming from."
And the Obama sticker?
"I was at the mud hole and I pulled up in my truck with the Obama sticker on the back and they were like, 'Whoa, you need to get rid of that sticker, he's black you need to vote for a white man.' I've had a bunch of confrontations like that, but I've also had a few country people down here that say they actually like it.
"This is very, very important to me. I really think that our future is at stake," he says. "We've gone downhill so much in the past eight years and now they want McCain to get in and take over where Bush left off.
"I'm just a lower-class, hard-working person just like millions of others down here in the South but also in the North and all over this country, who might lose their jobs but nobody gives a crap about us," he says.
Smart people make persuasive arguments to the contrary, although few shout them with such passion from the back of their truck.
Jones says this is what makes America great.
"And if you don't like my rebel flag or my Obama sticker,'' he says, "then you can just kiss my country a--!"

Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,373,558 times
I don't see what is unusual or remarkable about this.

You know, he's a kid who drives a truck with Super Swampers, is proud of the confederate flag - therefore people stereotype him, and assume he's an evangelical christian, or he's a republican, or he's a racist, or whatever.

If folks didn't stereotype people like him, this wouldn't be considered "news", would it? It would just be another 19-year-old who likes Obama.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM

419 posts, read 855,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I don't see what is unusual or remarkable about this.

You know, he's a kid who drives a truck with Super Swampers, is proud of the confederate flag - therefore people stereotype him, and assume he's an evangelical christian, or he's a republican, or he's a racist, or whatever.

If folks didn't stereotype people like him, this wouldn't be considered "news", would it? It would just be another 19-year-old who likes Obama.
Well, that is what is remarkable.... people do stereotype, and his would be that of someone most would think is racist.

That was why I posted this, there have been tons of topics where people say if you fly a confederate flag you are automatically racist, or have some racist tendencies.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 5,799 times
hay boy you need to take my flag off your lil ***** truck you voted for obama you a Fn joke my flag dont make you country or a "rebel" NC well i dont know where you come from in NC but in alamance county youll get you ass whooped for havin that flag and that sticker ill be damn so no you kiss my country ass

Old 06-23-2010, 03:12 PM

5,275 posts, read 5,757,966 times
I always though that blacks should adopt the Confederate Flag (symbol of their oppression) like Christians were a crucifix (device of torture and execution).

and it would really p!$$off the rednecks.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,419,007 times
Yeah, I don't really see any problem in this. The confederate flag symbolises Rebelism. Standing up for what you believe in. People should really read a history book. If you think that it's ignorant to have a Confederate Flag displayed because it's 'racist', then you're probably the ignorant one because it reall has nothing to do with race.

The same thing happened up here in MN recently. A 19 yr old GOT EXPELLED FROM SCHOOL.
Lakeville school board declines to ban Confederate flag decal | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/45552427.html - broken link)
Lakeville school board declines to ban Confederate flag decal | StarTribune.com (http://www.startribune.com/local/45552427.html - broken link)

This is what the principle said:
"Many, if not most, would find the Confederate flag offensive, but just being offensive isn't enough," -- speak for yourself hunny, I don't find it offensive at all. Why would it offend me?

How about this one. How about you people stop flaunting the 'Peace Symbol'. It's a joke, and it's contradictory. i am offended by that, so I'm going to cry and make a big deal out of nothing, wah wah.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:53 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,419,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csa4ever View Post
hay boy you need to take my flag off your lil ***** truck you voted for obama you a Fn joke my flag dont make you country or a "rebel" NC well i dont know where you come from in NC but in alamance county youll get you ass whooped for havin that flag and that sticker ill be damn so no you kiss my country ass
ha, i get docked rep points for saying that "Florida sucks" and this guy still gets to post stuff. Nice terroristic threats buddy.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:47 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,539,505 times
Looking at the photo I see a southerner who is proud of it. No big deal. Why psychoanalyze?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.