U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California Most Powerful State in America?
Yes! Economic beast, T.V shows, cali way of "speaking" 66 51.16%
No , it doenst have the best economy, no shows are filmed there, no one uses a neutral cali accent 63 48.84%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times

Advertisements

Dont get me wrong I love Texas to death. I lived in texas for 8 years of my life and im 19. But Texas is just a litte bit below Cali.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,517,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
California is NOT the most important state ,and I can guarantee you that. It has tough competition with states like Texas and New York.
Thank you. But it's probably best not to burst their little bubble. It makes for better relations with the other 49.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 AM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
California is NOT the most important state ,and I can guarantee you that. It has tough competition with states like Texas and New York.
And how do you guarantee that? Can you actually back up your claims when you say something like this with some actual facts and figures instead of imaginary scenarios that doesn't quantify anything?

If Ca is not the most powerful state, which many people voted that it isn't, then lets see some proof or at least an explanation on how it isn't. Amazing how many people voted "no" but refuse to explain why. More inferiority complex BS......

Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
Most powerful "how"? We can let our imaginations run wild with this one, but surely the originator has some concept behind this question.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 PM

821 posts, read 830,491 times
"there is a place between LA and NY called America"-Homer Simpson.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:48 PM
dwk

18 posts, read 33,678 times
"One out of every 7 California residents has done time in prison."

"One out of every 12 California residents is a serial killer."

"You have 560 to 1 odds of being killed in a forest fire in the state of California."

"You have 823 to odds of being killed by a mudslide in the state of California."

"You have 1204 to 1 odds of being killed by an earthquake in the state of California."

"You have 12 to 1 odds of being killed on the freeway in the state of California."

"The city of Los Angeles has zero change of every accuiring another NFL franchise."

Old 11-13-2008, 03:23 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,517,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If Ca is not the most powerful state, which many people voted that it isn't, then lets see some proof or at least an explanation on how it isn't. Amazing how many people voted "no" but refuse to explain why. More inferiority complex BS......
The truth is, nobody has explained exactly how California is powerful. I'm interested to know how you define "power." Yeah, it has all kinds of job fields, and a large population. That doesn't necessarily make it powerful. California doesn't tell the Federal government what to do, for example. It hasn't got its own army, so it can't really push any of its neighboring states around. And it has precisely the same number of senators as each of the other 49 states. Sovereign nations are powerful, not states or provinces.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:49 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk View Post
"One out of every 7 California residents has done time in prison." Illegal aliens. And 7% for that populations sounds low to me.

"One out of every 12 California residents is a serial killer." WHAT???

"You have 560 to 1 odds of being killed in a forest fire in the state of California." Depends where you live. Definitely not from the part of California I'm from.

"You have 823 to odds of being killed by a mudslide in the state of California." Much bigger threat in Oregon.

"You have 1204 to 1 odds of being killed by an earthquake in the state of California." Earthquakes are a threat in more places than people realize.

"You have 12 to 1 odds of being killed on the freeway in the state of California." At least the traffic moves. I will probably never complain about L.A. traffic again after having just spent time in NYC.

"The city of Los Angeles has zero change of every accuiring another NFL franchise."
Is this important?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:17 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,200,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwk View Post
"One out of every 12 California residents is a serial killer."
..........****.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The truth is, nobody has explained exactly how California is powerful. I'm interested to know how you define "power." Yeah, it has all kinds of job fields, and a large population. That doesn't necessarily make it powerful. California doesn't tell the Federal government what to do, for example. It hasn't got its own army, so it can't really push any of its neighboring states around. And it has precisely the same number of senators as each of the other 49 states. Sovereign nations are powerful, not states or provinces.
I've already mentioned several reasons how CA is so powerful, just some generalizations basically. It has by far and away the most people of any state, much more than the next two closest states. All the states have the same # of senators and that was a pretty stupid point considering it has far more congressional representatives than any other state as well as far more electoral votes. It's economy is much larger than any other state and has a huge influence on the US in many ways.

California is a huge market for producers and it influences them. When Ca enacts tougher auto emissions standards automakers have to comply b/c CA is too lucrative of a market to pull out of. CA gets a lot of its power from other states and a recent mandate requiring utilities to buy cleaner produced power will have an influence on energy production in other states b/c we are such a huge market that cannot be ignored.

It's basically about size and in this case it does translate into more power and influence than other states.

I'm still waiting for an explanation on how it's not the most powerful and which state is more powerful, only one person has even attempted to explain that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or