U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California Most Powerful State in America?
Yes! Economic beast, T.V shows, cali way of "speaking" 66 51.16%
No , it doenst have the best economy, no shows are filmed there, no one uses a neutral cali accent 63 48.84%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:07 PM

505 posts, read 1,225,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I've already mentioned several reasons how CA is so powerful, just some generalizations basically. It has by far and away the most people of any state, much more than the next two closest states. All the states have the same # of senators and that was a pretty stupid point considering it has far more congressional representatives than any other state as well as far more electoral votes. It's economy is much larger than any other state and has a huge influence on the US in many ways.

California is a huge market for producers and it influences them. When Ca enacts tougher auto emissions standards automakers have to comply b/c CA is too lucrative of a market to pull out of. CA gets a lot of its power from other states and a recent mandate requiring utilities to buy cleaner produced power will have an influence on energy production in other states b/c we are such a huge market that cannot be ignored.

It's basically about size and in this case it does translate into more power and influence than other states.

I'm still waiting for an explanation on how it's not the most powerful and which state is more powerful, only one person has even attempted to explain that.
Give it up. This has been going on for over a week. Arguing isn't going to change what you think, and it isn't going to change what anyone else thinks either.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:48 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
Give it up. This has been going on for over a week. Arguing isn't going to change what you think, and it isn't going to change what anyone else thinks either.
What do you care? No one is forcing you to come read these posts and respond are they?

I'm not trying to change people's minds but they need to prove what they are saying in someway. I am still waiting for is for someone to actually back up their claim of Ca not being the most powerful state with at least some sort of real explanation on how. I just don't get how people can claim certain things but not actually back it up, which to me indicates people are voting "no" just to vote that way b/c of some inferiority complex.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:09 PM

103 posts, read 323,730 times
Quote:
I just don't get how people can claim certain things but not actually back it up, which to me indicates people are voting "no" just to vote that way b/c of some inferiority complex.
I don't think ppl are voting "no" due to an inferiority complex. Getting a CA residency isn't like applying for a unit in an upscale Co-Op, or trying to get a membership to private golf course. Personally, I've had a couple of opportunities to move out there. The bank I work for has offices out there (Alameda/SF/Walnut Creek and Sacramento) and would have paid me to relocate. I honestly prefer Massachusetts. If I thought there was something CA could offer me MA can't, I'd move. It's that simple. Until then, I'm proud to call Boston home.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston mark View Post
I don't think ppl are voting "no" due to an inferiority complex.
They why are people voting "no" and claiming CA is not the most powerful but not actually explaining themselves?

Quote:
Getting a CA residency isn't like applying for a unit in an upscale Co-Op, or trying to get a membership to private golf course. Personally, I've had a couple of opportunities to move out there. The bank I work for has offices out there (Alameda/SF/Walnut Creek and Sacramento) and would have paid me to relocate. I honestly prefer Massachusetts. If I thought there was something CA could offer me MA can't, I'd move. It's that simple. Until then, I'm proud to call Boston home.
What does any of this have to do with CA being or not being the most powerful state? What does your preference to live in MA over CA have to do with any of this at all?? I could care less whether or not someone prefers to live in CA and it has NOTHING to do with this thread at all.

Some of you keep looking at this as if it's asking whether CA is the best state or most desirable to state to live in when it's not at all. It's a simple question that people keep twisting around to mean something that it doesn't. And the fact that people even do that says something about their feelings and biases towards CA rather than just looking at the question for what it is.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:30 PM

I think a moderator needs to end this thread. It keeps going around in circles.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I think a moderator needs to end this thread. It keeps going around in circles.
obviously you're pretty new to this site if you think this thread is unusual or any worse than all the other ones... If you really want to see a thread go in circles read any of the ones about skylines or city vs city.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:38 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,765,094 times
I dont no Cali seems powerful to me. The 2008 presidential election was pretty much decided when all the Cali votes were in. But thats just my opinion. So I guess sav858 has a good point regarding the size of a state and its power. So I would Cali the most powerful then New york and Texas a tie. When the hurricanes hit Texas the oil prices went up in other parts of the country. But thats just me.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM

103 posts, read 323,730 times
Quote:
What does any of this have to do with CA being or not being the most powerful state? What does your preference to live in MA over CA have to do with any of this at all?? I could care less whether or not someone prefers to live in CA and it has NOTHING to do with this thread at all.

My point was, people aren't voting "no" due to some inferiority complex, which you keep alluding to.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 PM

sav858, I've read those. This one is a little more irritating to me more because you seem to be the one pushing it along and it keeps showing up at the top of the threads list. I am new to the site, but that doesn't mean I can't see, using common sense, that this discussion is going absolutely nowhere.

The fact that you pounced on my last post as soon as I made it is proof enough for me, however, that you intend to keep going with this.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston mark View Post

My point was, people aren't voting "no" due to some inferiority complex, which you keep alluding to.
Then why are they voting "no"? My point is unless they have something to actually back up what they claim about CA not being the most powerful then its indicates one. If you're voting "no" b/c you don't want to live in CA, that has nothing to do with the original question at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or