U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: California Most Powerful State in America?
Yes! Economic beast, T.V shows, cali way of "speaking" 66 51.16%
No , it doenst have the best economy, no shows are filmed there, no one uses a neutral cali accent 63 48.84%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:02 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,783,384 times

Advertisements

Look at all the companies to come out and are headquartered in california. Just go to wikipedia and see for yourself bcuz it will take me a while to explain fully.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:11 PM

284 posts, read 631,698 times
I think it is important but i believe every other state is just as important. If Illinois left the union you guys will have fun trying to find cheap corn, and since we will take Chicago with us there goes a lot of the economy.
Just trying ti show every state is important.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:22 PM

True. Very true.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:37 PM

4,137 posts, read 7,199,656 times
Lol hmm Enron from the great state of Texas sure did California in quite nicely. Its safe to say California is one of the most denpendable states in the union and Texas is the most independent.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:21 PM

I dont know about dependable.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,709,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I dont know about dependable.
No, California depends on other states. Without Texas, cities like L.A and San Deigo would suffer badly. You guys really need to wake up if you think Cali is the most powerful state. If anything, it would be Texas or NY

Old 11-15-2008, 01:56 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,449,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No, California depends on other states. Without Texas, cities like L.A and San Deigo would suffer badly. You guys really need to wake up if you think Cali is the most powerful state. If anything, it would be Texas or NY
And what do we depend on TX for?? It's not oil and it's not agriculture since we're the #1 agricultural state. How exactly would we "suffer"? You keep making these absurd claims but do not back it up with any sort of explanation. If NY or TX are more powerful then actually give some explanation or some proof on how.

You guys really need to wake up and get over your inferiority complexes and just accept that CA is the most populated, by a lot, and therefor the most powerful. "Dem3456/Boston Mar" was so bothered by this poll they had to create multiple accounts and rig the poll yesterday and all their complaining on here just reeks of an inferiority complex. And now you keep making these claims about NY or TX being more powerful but don't back it up with anything. I don't get why the hell is bothers some of you so much that CA is so large, powerful, and influential. Just get over it already and enjoy your state for what it is.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:39 PM

821 posts, read 832,436 times
How did the governator become the govenor of one of the most powerful states in the nation with out experience? That says alot about the people of California and our nation as a whole.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:47 PM

505 posts, read 1,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And what do we depend on TX for?? It's not oil and it's not agriculture since we're the #1 agricultural state. How exactly would we "suffer"? You keep making these absurd claims but do not back it up with any sort of explanation. If NY or TX are more powerful then actually give some explanation or some proof on how.

You guys really need to wake up and get over your inferiority complexes and just accept that CA is the most populated, by a lot, and therefor the most powerful. "Dem3456/Boston Mar" was so bothered by this poll they had to create multiple accounts and rig the poll yesterday and all their complaining on here just reeks of an inferiority complex. And now you keep making these claims about NY or TX being more powerful but don't back it up with anything. I don't get why the hell is bothers some of you so much that CA is so large, powerful, and influential. Just get over it already and enjoy your state for what it is.
Whoa. You just took it a step too far.

Just because California is the #1 agricultural state doesn't mean it could do it all alone. California produces much of the fruits and vegetables in this country.

But what about grains, the base of the food pyramid? Grains are what make up bread, cereal, and other foods that humans NEED in order to live.

As far as I know, grains are largely grown in the Midwestern states. And with all those people in California that make you so powerful, I think you would have a hard time feeding everyone their daily supply of grains with your small crop if you were to break away. Wheat and corn are two of the staples of the human diet. California is not even in the top 10 wheat-producing states. Nor is it among the top corn producing states.

Here are my references: http://wbc.agr.mt.gov/Buyers_Process...eat_states.pdf
http://www.worc.org/pdfs/WORCproductionfactsheet.pdf
Top 10: States With The Most Corn Production (2007) - Cattle Network (http://www.cattlenetwork.com/Risk_Management_Content.asp?contentid=233016 - broken link)

As you can see, California would suffer greatly from its lack of grain resources. And I doubt that even your other resources in dairy, fruits, and vegetables would be enough to feed your enormous population. A large number of people can be a curse, not a blessing.

Washington, New York, Michigan, and Pennsylvania all produce more apples than California.

All About Apples | Apple Facts, Top 15 varieties, Top 5 States / Countries

Florida has a huge lead over California in orange and grapefruit production, two fruits with high nutritional value. California leads in lemon production; there are not too many people who want to eat lemons to get their Vitamin C.

http://www.fas.usda.gov/htp/horticul...4%20Citrus.pdf

While these are just some examples, it is obvious that whatever sav858 thinks, California could NOT DO IT ALONE.

Additionally, California is dependent on other states and nations for oil. I believe that I remember sav858 saying that California was producing a lot of its own oil. In actuality, crude oil production in California is declining and is expected to decline in the future, while foreign imports and imports from states (particularly Alaska) are on the rise.

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2007_energy...t%207-8-07.pdf

And nobody can deny that New York City has a profound impact on the economic well-being of California, as it does on all of us. sav858, have you been reading your local newspapers or watching the news? It doesn't take a genius to see that California and the rest of the nation suffers when the NYSE suffers. I don't see much coverage of the stock exchanges in California. I do see a lot of coverage about the housing crisis in California, partially as a result of what has gone on over on Wall Street and with big corporations in New York City and elsewhere.

So, there's your explanation and your proof.

What multiple accounts? Me and BostonMark are two different people.

And STOP using the term "inferiority complex." Firstly, you aren't qualified to use it because I doubt you are a psychologist. And second of all, the only person here with an inferiority complex is you, getting all riled up every time someone says that California isn't the most powerful state.

GET OVER IT, sav858. You've been running around in circles for the past two weeks about this.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:49 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,077,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

This post reminds me of junior high. Why is there a need to prove that anyone's anything is better than someone else's something?? If it will make you feel better then, sure, we're all jealous of whatever you think we should be jealous of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or