U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: California Most Powerful State in America?
Yes! Economic beast, T.V shows, cali way of "speaking" 66 51.16%
No , it doenst have the best economy, no shows are filmed there, no one uses a neutral cali accent 63 48.84%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2008, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,536,331 times
Reputation: 10490

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Look at all the companies to come out and are headquartered in california. Just go to wikipedia and see for yourself bcuz it will take me a while to explain fully.
Yes, by all means, go to wikipedia, where anyone can post anything, and statements are not verified.

 
Old 11-15-2008, 06:36 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
Whoa. You just took it a step too far.

Just because California is the #1 agricultural state doesn't mean it could do it all alone. California produces much of the fruits and vegetables in this country.


While these are just some examples, it is obvious that whatever sav858 thinks, California could NOT DO IT ALONE.
I NEVER said CA could do it alone, please show me where I said that. I never claimed or indicated CA was self sufficient in anything, I think all the states depend on each other for different things but none depend on one more than the others. I don't think other states are solely dependent on CA for anything either.

What the hell was the point of all of this? I never claimed that CA didn't get resources and other things from other states. But its not dependent on any single state for any just as other states aren't completely dependent on CA for anything.

Quote:
Additionally, California is dependent on other states and nations for oil. I believe that I remember sav858 saying that California was producing a lot of its own oil.
I NEVER said that or claimed that. Please show me where I actually said that. You just make up things to try to bolster your argument, I never claimed CA produced a lot of its own oil, as a matter of fact I provided a link that shows it DOES NOT produce most of its oil. And I posted that link to show CA doesn't get oil from TX but rather from AK and foreign sources.

Here you go again with making up more things and claiming I said something that I did not. Maybe you should reread the thread since you obviously can't remember and/or comprehend what I said.

Quote:
And nobody can deny that New York City has a profound impact on the economic well-being of California, as it does on all of us. sav858, have you been reading your local newspapers or watching the news? It doesn't take a genius to see that California and the rest of the nation suffers when the NYSE suffers. I don't see much coverage of the stock exchanges in California. I do see a lot of coverage about the housing crisis in California, partially as a result of what has gone on over on Wall Street and with big corporations in New York City and elsewhere.
You're right nobody can deny the power of NYC and I did not either, I already said NYC is the most powerful city in America. Go reread the thread if you don't remember.
Quote:
So, there's your explanation and your proof.
Once again you did not prove anything. You listed a bunch of links about about what other states produce b/c you falsely believe that I thought CA was self sufficient when I NEVER said that or claimed that. The fact that all the states depend on each other for different things doesn't prove that CA is not the most powerful. All it shows is that it, like every other state, CA gets different commodities from different states.

Show me a state that has a bigger economy, produces more, is more influential, has more consumers, etc.... that is the PROOF that I am looking for but no one can provide it.
Quote:
What multiple accounts? Me and BostonMark are two different people.
Yeah that made up accounts yesterday to rig the poll, go ahead and deny all you want but it was pretty obvious yesterday afternoon.
Quote:
And STOP using the term "inferiority complex."
Then stop exhibiting one.

Quote:
And second of all, the only person here with an inferiority complex is you, getting all riled up every time someone says that California isn't the most powerful state.
I am just looking for an explanation or some proof behind all the BS people are saying and claiming but not backing it up with anything. I'm just getting tired of people saying things they can't back up.

Trust me, I don't feel inferior to any state, I think they are all great in their own ways. I don't think CA is the "best" state b/c that is subjective anyways and even for me I don't think its the best.

And you talk about me getting all riled up, just look at the rant you just left. One that was based on something that I never claimed or said too! Take a look in the mirror pal, you're up here posting and going off just as much as me.

Quote:
GET OVER IT, sav858. You've been running around in circles for the past two weeks about this.
You keep telling me to get over it but maybe you should tell yourself that too. You keep responding to me and keep continuing this too, so stop being such a hypocrite and realize that. It takes more than one person to keep this BS going.. And no one is forcing you to keep coming back here and posting now are they?
 
Old 11-15-2008, 06:43 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
This post reminds me of junior high. Why is there a need to prove that anyone's anything is better than someone else's something?? If it will make you feel better then, sure, we're all jealous of whatever you think we should be jealous of.
I NEVER said or claimed this was about CA being "better" than anything, I don't get why people interpret it that way. Just b/c you say something is more powerful doesn't mean its "better" than less powerful places. I don't think CA is "better" than every state or anything like that, it has a lot of quality of life issues like a lot of places. I don't think or want people to be "jealous" of CA, but to just get over their inferiority complex and stop denying what is obvious. I am not trying to prove CA is "better" than anything or any state, I just want proof on how CA is not the most powerful state like several posters have claimed but have not provided any REAL proof or explanation. Show me how TX or NY are more powerful than CA. Show me a state that has a bigger economy, more people/consumers, more influence, etc....
 
Old 11-15-2008, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,909 posts, read 12,528,390 times
Reputation: 2631
A request for the kind citizens of the most powerful state in the nation. How about making an occassional mortgage payment. Good grief.

Ca. Foreclosure rates up 357%.


http://www.cnbc.com/id/24599492/?photo=10
 
Old 11-15-2008, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
505 posts, read 1,225,627 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I NEVER said CA could do it alone, please show me where I said that. I never claimed or indicated CA was self sufficient in anything, I think all the states depend on each other for different things but none depend on one more than the others. I don't think other states are solely dependent on CA for anything either.

What the hell was the point of all of this? I never claimed that CA didn't get resources and other things from other states. But its not dependent on any single state for any just as other states aren't completely dependent on CA for anything.

I NEVER said that or claimed that. Please show me where I actually said that. You just make up things to try to bolster your argument, I never claimed CA produced a lot of its own oil, as a matter of fact I provided a link that shows it DOES NOT produce most of its oil. And I posted that link to show CA doesn't get oil from TX but rather from AK and foreign sources.

Here you go again with making up more things and claiming I said something that I did not. Maybe you should reread the thread since you obviously can't remember and/or comprehend what I said.

You're right nobody can deny the power of NYC and I did not either, I already said NYC is the most powerful city in America. Go reread the thread if you don't remember.
Once again you did not prove anything. You listed a bunch of links about about what other states produce b/c you falsely believe that I thought CA was self sufficient when I NEVER said that or claimed that. The fact that all the states depend on each other for different things doesn't prove that CA is not the most powerful. All it shows is that it, like every other state, CA gets different commodities from different states.

Show me a state that has a bigger economy, produces more, is more influential, has more consumers, etc.... that is the PROOF that I am looking for but no one can provide it.
Yeah that made up accounts yesterday to rig the poll, go ahead and deny all you want but it was pretty obvious yesterday afternoon.
Then stop exhibiting one.

I am just looking for an explanation or some proof behind all the BS people are saying and claiming but not backing it up with anything. I'm just getting tired of people saying things they can't back up.

Trust me, I don't feel inferior to any state, I think they are all great in their own ways. I don't think CA is the "best" state b/c that is subjective anyways and even for me I don't think its the best.

And you talk about me getting all riled up, just look at the rant you just left. One that was based on something that I never claimed or said too! Take a look in the mirror pal, you're up here posting and going off just as much as me.

You keep telling me to get over it but maybe you should tell yourself that too. You keep responding to me and keep continuing this too, so stop being such a hypocrite and realize that. It takes more than one person to keep this BS going.. And no one is forcing you to keep coming back here and posting now are they?
You posed the question of how exactly you would suffer if the other states (specifically Texas) weren't there to supply California. You put suffer in quotes, making it sound as though you didn't think California would have any problem without the rest of the nation. I answered that question mainly by pointing out that with regards to food, California would be out of luck without the other states. That was the point of my post. You would be damaged so greatly without the rest of us.

I think my post did prove something: that California would suffer, despite the fact that you said it wouldn't. But I don't think you have proved anything. You haven't posted more than a few sources on where you are getting your information that California is the most powerful state. How are you going to measure "social influence"? Where are the statistics showing that it is the largest agricultural state?

And OK, I made a mistake about your post about the oil. Thanks for correcting me, and I'm sorry that I put words in your mouth. But you make it sound as though I am deliberately making things up to make myself stronger. Thats not true at all. I simply remembered something incorrectly; it wasn't a malicious, calculated move on my part.

As for the fact that you believe that I made up multiple account to "rig" this stupid poll, I am insulted that you actually believe that I would waste my time. I have no idea what you are talking about, honestly. What do you even mean? Do you think someone "rigged" it because there are more no votes than yes ones? I am telling you the whole truth right now; its ridiculous that you would make that assumption.

Since you are so hung up on proof, where is your proof that I rigged the poll? You wont find any because I didn't. The only reason I have started posting on this thread again is because you made it personal when you came out with the outrageous claim that boston mark and I manipulated the poll. You're the one who forced me to come back and defend myself.

Finally, you're obviously never going to stop using the term "inferiority complex" to describe what's going on here even though that's not what's going on at all. People with inferiority complexes tend to perceive any form of criticism as an attack. Just like when someone tries to criticize the fact that maybe, just maybe, California is not the most powerful state, you seem to perceive it as an attack. Another symptom of an inferiority complex is a feeling of persecution, that others are actively seeking to ruin you. Just like when you thought that I rigged the poll to ruin the results?

Who has the inferiority complex?

And don't call me "pal."
 
Old 11-15-2008, 09:58 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
You posed the question of how exactly you would suffer if the other states (specifically Texas) weren't there to supply California.
supply CA with what? That is what I wanted to know, what he thinks CA is depending on TX for.

Quote:
You put suffer in quotes, making it sound as though you didn't think California would have any problem without the rest of the nation.
That's not what I meant and you interpreted wrong, not my fault there.

Quote:
I answered that question mainly by pointing out that with regards to food, California would be out of luck without the other states. That was the point of my post. You would be damaged so greatly without the rest of us.
Never claimed Ca could survive on it's own so your "point" was completely pointless to begin with.

Quote:
I think my post did prove something: that California would suffer, despite the fact that you said it wouldn't.
Where did I say CA wouldn't "suffer"?? You keep making up crap that I didn't even say. I wanted to know HOW it would suffer.
Quote:
But I don't think you have proved anything. You haven't posted more than a few sources on where you are getting your information that California is the most powerful state.
The population is much larger than any other state, about 13 million more people than TX and almost double NY state.
Census Bureau Home Page

It's economy is much larger than any other state. $1.812 TRILLION dollars, making it the 8th largest economy in the world.
List of U.S. states by GDP (nominal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

granted that is Wikipedia but the sources and info on those pages are legit.

Money equals power and influence and CA has more of it that any other state.

Quote:
How are you going to measure "social influence"?
Our Courts are pretty damn influential:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/us...us&oref=slogin

CA was the first state to strike down laws banning interracial marriage and was the first for many, but NOT all, things like smoking bans, gay rights, and many environmental laws.

Oft-mocked San Francisco leads the way


Quote:
Where are the statistics showing that it is the largest agricultural state?
http://www.fas.usda.gov/info/factshe.../states/ca.pdf
Economy of California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
As for the fact that you believe that I made up multiple account to "rig" this stupid poll, I am insulted that you actually believe that I would waste my time. I have no idea what you are talking about, honestly. What do you even mean? Do you think someone "rigged" it because there are more no votes than yes ones? I am telling you the whole truth right now; its ridiculous that you would make that assumption.

Since you are so hung up on proof, where is your proof that I rigged the poll? You wont find any because I didn't. The only reason I have started posting on this thread again is because you made it personal when you came out with the outrageous claim that boston mark and I manipulated the poll. You're the one who forced me to come back and defend myself.
Well somebody did and they even admitted it to me on one of their fake accounts, if you scroll back you can see that. There was a period of about 10-15 minutes that the "no" votes kept rising every 3 or so minutes until there were more No than Yes votes and that started right after you stopped posting around that time. During that time you were inactive on C-D then after the fake votes stopped you became active again. You can deny it all you want but somebody was doing it and I think it was you and/or Boston Mark. It doesn't really matter but I'll continue to think what I do.

Quote:
Finally, you're obviously never going to stop using the term "inferiority complex" to describe what's going on here even though that's not what's going on at all. People with inferiority complexes tend to perceive any form of criticism as an attack. Just like when someone tries to criticize the fact that maybe, just maybe, California is not the most powerful state, you seem to perceive it as an attack. Another symptom of an inferiority complex is a feeling of persecution, that others are actively seeking to ruin you. Just like when you thought that I rigged the poll to ruin the results?

Who has the inferiority complex?
Main Entry: inferiority complex Function:noun Date:1922 1 : an acute sense of personal inferiority often resulting either in timidity or through overcompensation in exaggerated aggressiveness 2 : a collective sense of cultural, regional, or national inferiority

The fact how you kept ranting and raving at the beginning of this thread about how CA was not the best state, if New England was a state it would be more powerful, etc... even though both of those things are irrelevant to the original question just shows you desperate you are to make sure others don't view CA being the most powerful state. You have some regional inferiority complex and felt the need to make up an imaginary state that is more powerful than CA.

When people say CA is not the most powerful state then claim NY or TX I don't perceive that as an attack at all but when they don't actually provide and explanation or proof then I think they are just saying No just to say no b/c they have no basis for their claim. Rigging the poll is NOT "ruining" me in any way, I don't really even care about the poll but rather more about an explanation for what people are claiming.

I could care less if this thread dies, I hoped it had already. But if people want to keep bringing it up then I'm going to remain interested.
 
Old 11-15-2008, 11:02 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,765,094 times
Reputation: 4208
Ok Ok dont go to Wiki. Just go to google and type in some company head quarter locations and see how many economic powerhouses are headquartered in California. Everyday technology that MOST Americans use are made and headquartered in California. Gateway Apple just to name a few. Without some of these technology companies products some day to day businesses would not survive. Oh yeah and about wall street out there in New York someone stated that bcuz of wall street the housing market out in Cali was suffering. That may be true but Bcuz of hurricane Katrina in 05 alot of gas prices went up same thing happened this with the hurricanes in Texas alot of people all over the US had trouble doing evryday things like driving to the grocery going to work and other things like road trips. The point im trying to make is bcuz of those things does that make texas and or louisiana the most powerful states?
 
Old 11-15-2008, 11:49 PM
 
Location: New England & The Maritimes
2,116 posts, read 4,203,703 times
Reputation: 1114
Close thread please
 
Old 11-16-2008, 01:33 PM
 
14,111 posts, read 22,765,094 times
Reputation: 4208
Why do u want to close the thread?
 
Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,073,712 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I NEVER said or claimed this was about CA being "better" than anything, I don't get why people interpret it that way. Just b/c you say something is more powerful doesn't mean its "better" than less powerful places. I don't think CA is "better" than every state or anything like that, it has a lot of quality of life issues like a lot of places. I don't think or want people to be "jealous" of CA, but to just get over their inferiority complex and stop denying what is obvious. I am not trying to prove CA is "better" than anything or any state, I just want proof on how CA is not the most powerful state like several posters have claimed but have not provided any REAL proof or explanation. Show me how TX or NY are more powerful than CA. Show me a state that has a bigger economy, more people/consumers, more influence, etc....
Okay, I'll concede - maybe you didn't come out and say verbatim that you think CA is "better." Isn't it, however, a safe assumption that's what you mean? You have clearly stated (on more than one occasion) that you think we feel "inferior". If you think people feel inferior, doesn't that mean that you think you're better?

Oh, and for the record, I don't feel the least bit "inferior."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top