U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: California Most Powerful State in America?
Yes! Economic beast, T.V shows, cali way of "speaking" 66 51.16%
No , it doenst have the best economy, no shows are filmed there, no one uses a neutral cali accent 63 48.84%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2008, 08:38 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 34,199,053 times
Reputation: 16839

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Oh really? Don't you have math problems to do in your office? It's Wednesday, the hump of the week, people like you are the reason the economy's down... No work ethic... Log off of City-Data and lower my gas prices. I make 9 bucks an hour I could use it.
Actually kid, I am an Electrician and don't have an office to sit around in. I DO have job sites I oversee and workmen as well. I come as go as I please, that comes from 27 years in the field and more schooling than most office workers can imagine. I have no work ethic? When is the last time you worked 36 hours straight to get a much needed and critical job finished? When was the last time you were up before 4 Am to deliver supplies to job sites so the people who depend on you for a paycheck have the right stuff to do their jobs? When was the last time that by 9 or 10 AM you have already put in 5 or 6 hours of work, and then take a break and finish the day with another 8 or 10 hours? When was the last time you did most of that list every single day, all week, for years? When was the last time you put in a 14 hour long day, but only had 2 billable hours because the rest of the time was spent doing proposals, and bids so your workers could get paid for 40 hours?

Well kid, I am waiting.... You have NO idea of the real world, you live under Daddy's roof and I am willing to bet most of life is handed to you without string one attached. Your Father may be from Brooklyn, but you are NOT, you are a snotty yuppie kid from Scarsdale who has deluded himself into thinking you have the answers.

 
Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Sun Diego, CA
521 posts, read 1,492,688 times
Reputation: 325
Futcha = FutureCop

Most likely FutureCop. I say this because Futcha's comments are on ignore, yet I never put him on ignore like I did to FutureCop.

Given the childish, and small penis attitude, Futcha = FutureCop
 
Old 11-05-2008, 09:32 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,083 posts, read 34,199,053 times
Reputation: 16839
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Futcha = FutureCop

Most likely FutureCop. I say this because Futcha's comments are on ignore, yet I never put him on ignore like I did to FutureCop.

Given the childish, and small penis attitude, Futcha = FutureCop
Yes it is the same person. Here is another of his posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I'd like to change my user name to Futcha.

If it's possible, thanks
 
Old 11-05-2008, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
505 posts, read 1,226,569 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
According to the CIA, if California was a country, it would have the tenth strongest economy in the world. That ranking is placed at 8th by California's Legislative Analysis's Office and 7th by California's Finance Office. So, clearly the dominant economic powerhouse in the US. California pays more money to the Federal system then it receives in direct monetary benefits.

California is also the WORLD's fifth largest supplier of food and agriculture.
And like I said, the reason California is so powerful is because of its size and the fact that it occupies a large stretch of coastline. It got lucky.

If other areas of this country were to unite and form states as large as California is in geographical size, they would be just as powerful. For example, if a part of the midwest equal in size to California banded together, I am sure they would overtake California on agricultural output. And if, as I stated already, the BosWash corridor were to suddenly unite and occupy a coastline equivalent in size to California's, it would have a population and economy greater than that of California.

I will state again that my point is that California is only special in that it is a geographically large state. Imagine for one minute that California broke up into smaller states: one around San Diego, one around Los Angeles, one around San Francisco, one in the more rural areas of coast, one in the mountainous internal areas, and so on. This is more like the situation in the rest of the country. If this were the case, each of the individual areas that hypothetically used to be a part of California would not be so powerful on their own.

Again, other areas of the country have places where concentration of power is just as great as in California. The only difference is that in these areas, the power is spread across many states, not one.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Where you wish you lived, LA
304 posts, read 829,531 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
And like I said, the reason California is so powerful is because of its size and the fact that it occupies a large stretch of coastline. It got lucky.

If other areas of this country were to unite and form states as large as California is in geographical size, they would be just as powerful. For example, if a part of the midwest equal in size to California banded together, I am sure they would overtake California on agricultural output. And if, as I stated already, the BosWash corridor were to suddenly unite and occupy a coastline equivalent in size to California's, it would have a population and economy greater than that of California.

I will state again that my point is that California is only special in that it is a geographically large state. Imagine for one minute that California broke up into smaller states: one around San Diego, one around Los Angeles, one around San Francisco, one in the more rural areas of coast, one in the mountainous internal areas, and so on. This is more like the situation in the rest of the country. If this were the case, each of the individual areas that hypothetically used to be a part of California would not be so powerful on their own.

Again, other areas of the country have places where concentration of power is just as great as in California. The only difference is that in these areas, the power is spread across many states, not one.

The question was is it more powerful, then you go on a tangent talking about how big it is etc? As someone stated earlier, California is not some dense piece of land stretching from each end like the delusional "BosWash" corridor. Texas and Alaska are bigger in land mass than California, right? your point is invalid...there are plenty of states taht are fairly large sized, yet don't have Californias economic powerhouse.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
505 posts, read 1,226,569 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
The question was is it more powerful, then you go on a tangent talking about how big it is etc? As someone stated earlier, California is not some dense piece of land stretching from each end like the delusional "BosWash" corridor. Texas and Alaska are bigger in land mass than California, right? your point is invalid...there are plenty of states taht are fairly large sized, yet don't have Californias economic powerhouse.
I am not going on a tangent, nor do I appreciate the obvious attitude of your post.

Yes, California is a powerful state. But I am reluctant to call it the most powerful, even though I am inclined to do so, because of the ego boost that it would give to people like you who look down on other areas of the country because you believe yours to be superior. The fact that you state your location as "Where you wish you lived, LA" clearly communicates your blatant arrogance.

I don't feel like reiterating my point again, but here it goes: California's size and environment are what has given it power. It has good farmland, large coast, big cities, and all the rest. Look at how many people the Gold Rush brought to your state. Look at how many people are coming from Mexico and other areas to work in California for cheap.

Ask yourself why California is such an economic powerhouse. Its not because everyone in California is so much better than the rest of the nation; its because of history, size, and environment. The reason Texas isn't as "powerful" as California is because of its environment (dry) and Alaska is too far north and too rural to compare.

I don't understand your point about population density. #1, the fact that California is not densely populated from end to end diminishes its power in my mind. #2, the BosWash area it not delusional at all. People, money, and information are constantly traveling along the BosWash corridor, and its cultural impact on this country, I would say, is greater than that of California.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 4,079,505 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
I think it can survive quite well, or even better without the drag of the rest of the states- of which there is no peer with numbers. All other states are mid-sized.
Seriously, you should be careful what you wish for, not knowing when the "Big One" might occur.
 
Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Where you wish you lived, LA
304 posts, read 829,531 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
Yes, California is a powerful state. But I am reluctant to call it the most powerful, even though I am inclined to do so, because of the ego boost that it would give to people like you
That sums it up, an obvious bias against our state. You are scared that Californians will feel better about our state if you say something good about it? thats strange...
 
Old 11-05-2008, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
505 posts, read 1,226,569 times
Reputation: 224
No, I am not "scared." I just don't want to give people like you the satisfaction of having another reason to believe you are the best. That's all that it comes down to.

I have a strong desire to go to California, but if I'm going to encounter people like you who are so arrogant about where you live, I think I won't go at all. And people talk about Bostonians being snobby...
 
Old 11-05-2008, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Southie
103 posts, read 323,903 times
Reputation: 64
Not even close. That would be the Empire State. Lower Manhattan is probably more powerful than all of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top