U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: California Most Powerful State in America?
Yes! Economic beast, T.V shows, cali way of "speaking" 66 51.16%
No , it doenst have the best economy, no shows are filmed there, no one uses a neutral cali accent 63 48.84%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 PM

10,336 posts, read 13,753,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston mark View Post
What was the OPs def of 'powerful'? It's a bit vague. Politicaly? Ecomomically? Social influences? If we can get a definition of 'powerful' I'll get you facts. Until then I stand by my previous comment.
Pick either of the three or go with all three, either way CA would be the most powerful or influential in either category.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:37 PM

103 posts, read 248,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Good Point BOSTON Mark...funny that a Boston guy would point out that NYC is more powerful.
LOL. That alone should tell you how unbiased I'm being.

And I love Cali. I'm out there quite a bit for work. I just don't think it can be called most powerful state. Not yet anyway.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Pick either of the three or go with all three, either way CA would be the most powerful or influential in either category.
Politically: New York state is home to the United Nations whose member states work to achieve global economic development, human rights laws and promote international security. Far more powerful than CA's 55 electoral votes IMO.

Economically: The NYSE is the largest stock market in the world in $ value. We've just witnessed it's impact on the global economy.

Social Influences: Lindsay Lohan is not a resident of the state of NY.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:52 PM

505 posts, read 838,232 times
California is DEFINITELY NOT the most powerful state when it comes to politics. I'm giving that one to New York if we are strictly talking states, but if we weren't, it would be DC.

Economically, like boston mark pointed out, the NYSE is the most important stock exchange in the world. California may have technically the largest economy, but thats simply because there's more people, not because its "better" or more important.

And socially, of course, California dominates. Movies, music, entertainment all comes from California. But looking at the condition of our society, is that even a good thing?

Old 11-05-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston mark View Post
Politically: New York state is home to the United Nations whose member states work to achieve global economic development, human rights laws and promote international security. Far more powerful than CA's 55 electoral votes IMO.
The UN is not representing NYC in anyway, you can't claim credit for an organization that can have its headquarters in any city. NYC doesn't influence the UN's decisions. NYC or the UN wouldn't be any different if the UN was headquarter in Geneva instead.

Quote:
Economically: The NYSE is the largest stock market in the world in $ value. We've just witnessed it's impact on the global economy.
That's nice, but your economy and purchasing power is still smaller than CA's. As a state it is not as powerful overall mainly just b/c its smaller and less people. CA is as powerful as it is b/c of its size.
Quote:
Social Influences: Lindsay Lohan is not a resident of the state of NY.
okay...not even sure what the hell that has to do with anything even though she was born and raised there and currently lives there I think.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
California is DEFINITELY NOT the most powerful state when it comes to politics. I'm giving that one to New York if we are strictly talking states, but if we weren't, it would be DC.

Economically, like boston mark pointed out, the NYSE is the most important stock exchange in the world. California may have technically the largest economy, but thats simply because there's more people, not because its "better" or more important.

And socially, of course, California dominates. Movies, music, entertainment all comes from California. But looking at the condition of our society, is that even a good thing?

Do you have an explanation how NY is more powerful in politics? CA has a huge amount of electoral votes and a rep 3rd in line for the presidency.

Yes it does have more people which makes it more powerful. This thread isn't about the "best", you can keep pointing that out all you want but it doesn't take away from the fact that CA is the most powerful state. Size does matter here and it helps CA. I'm not denying that and no one else is either.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 AM

15,831 posts, read 19,739,536 times
Quote:
Do you have an explanation how NY is more powerful in politics? CA has a huge amount of electoral votes and a rep 3rd in line for the presidency.

Yes it does have more people which makes it more powerful. This thread isn't about the "best", you can keep pointing that out all you want but it doesn't take away from the fact that CA is the most powerful state. Size does matter here and it helps CA. I'm not denying that and no one else is either.
CA, NY, AND TX are the most powerful states imo.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:48 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,987,585 times
This thread is interesting to me. I find myself being drawn back to it, because I don't really get what the point of it is. I don't think most people (and maybe I'm in the minority) spend their time wondering if California is the most powerful state. Politically, California does have the most electoral votes. But isn't that the beauty of the system, that those 55 votes are a part of the sum total? No one state determines the whole of an election. Even if it would be the tipping point, it certainly wouldn't be alone in that determination.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
The UN is not representing NYC in anyway, you can't claim credit for an organization that can have its headquarters in any city. NYC doesn't influence the UN's decisions. NYC or the UN wouldn't be any different if the UN was headquarter in Geneva instead.
The UN is not representing NYC or NY state directly, but it's laws and strives for peace and human rights are felt the world over, as well as domestically. Making it a far more powerful than Nancy Pelosi, Arnold or the 17 plus million registered voters in the state. Whom, btw, voted to pass prop 8 so I do not hold their opinions is high regards right now.

Back on track, since the UN so happens to reside in the State of NY, I'll continue to use it as part of my argument. If someone would like the redefine the parameters of "political power" I'll re evaluate.

Quote:
That's nice, but your economy and purchasing power is still smaller than CA's. As a state it is not as powerful overall mainly just b/c its smaller and less people. CA is as powerful as it is b/c of its size.
New York City is the cornerstone of free trade in the World today. Which unfortunately often makes the city a target for terrorism.

IE...more economically powerful.

Quote:
okay...not even sure what the hell that has to do with anything even though she was born and raised there and currently lives there I think.
That was a subtle dig at the negative affects Hollywood has on our society. I thought it was clever. Perhaps a bit too subtle for you folks. I'll try to be more direct in the future so you can keep up.

In closing, I will agree California may reign some power or influence over the mid-west and sunbelt states. But the large majority of us here in the northeast view California, as lovely as it maybe, fluff. Warm sunny fluff.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:21 AM

304 posts, read 619,089 times
Don't get too excited buddy, average Californians don't even HAVE a even decent view of the Northeast or the rest of America really..to us California is the end all be all....the east is stinky/dirty/cold(not "cosmopolitan/happening", midwest boring(not "friendly/homely"), south humid and hicky(not "excellent place for food/cheap life")

face it, new yorkers want to believe Californians sit at home thinking about whats going on in their city or thinking they influence us...but 9 times out of ten when a new yorker goes home and flips on his or her tv, he or she is watching us

ciao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.