U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: California Most Powerful State in America?
Yes! Economic beast, T.V shows, cali way of "speaking" 66 51.16%
No , it doenst have the best economy, no shows are filmed there, no one uses a neutral cali accent 63 48.84%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:54 AM

505 posts, read 819,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
Don't get too excited buddy, average Californians don't even HAVE a even decent view of the Northeast or the rest of America really..to us California is the end all be all....the east is stinky/dirty/cold(not "cosmopolitan/happening", midwest boring(not "friendly/homely"), south humid and hicky(not "excellent place for food/cheap life")

face it, new yorkers want to believe Californians sit at home thinking about whats going on in their city or thinking they influence us...but 9 times out of ten when a new yorker goes home and flips on his or her tv, he or she is watching us

ciao
First of all, you don't speak for all of California. It is impossible that the majority of people in California don't have a decent view of the rest of the nation. I am fairly sure that most people do not share your conceited viewpoint.

And second, are you a famous celebrity? Nobody goes home and turns on their TV and watches you, so I don't think that you can use the word "us" in this situation. In fact, plenty of celebrities describe themselves as New Yorkers, not Californians.

You need to quit the attitude. I think we're all tired of it.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:15 AM

10,216 posts, read 13,287,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston mark View Post

Back on track, since the UN so happens to reside in the State of NY, I'll continue to use it as part of my argument. If someone would like the redefine the parameters of "political power" I'll re evaluate.
Okay, but that still doesn't change the fact that the UN does not make NY anymore influential or powerful than it is b/c the UN does not have anything to do with NY except for being located there.

But since the UN started in San Francisco, you can thank us for that.

Quote:
New York City is the cornerstone of free trade in the World today. Which unfortunately often makes the city a target for terrorism.

IE...more economically powerful.
okay, you have a point somewhat there but statistics are on CA's side showing it more powerful with a much higher GDP, purchasing power, etc..

Plus I think Silicon Valley has been pretty damn influential too for obvious reasons.

Quote:
In closing, I will agree California may reign some power or influence over the mid-west and sunbelt states. But the large majority of us here in the northeast view California, as lovely as it maybe, fluff. Warm sunny fluff.
That's nice that you spend so much time thinking about us, not sure what people really think of the NE here b/c no one ever talks about it, except for all the Northeast transplants that live here. Many Northeasters have a real distorted view of CA, so I really could care less anyways.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,353,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Influence in the World on state level huh.

How the world sees The States

The most famous states of the Union
are virtually nation brands in their own
right. Florida, California, Texas, Alaska,
Arizona and Hawaii, for example, are
names that are almost as familiar to
people around the world as America
itself. However, this fact is hardly
surprising because their names and
images have been promoted, sometimes
deliberately and sometimes by chance,
for as long as America’s, and have
captured the imaginations of people
around the world for decades and even
centuries.

From its earliest days, as America
grew in territory and population, its subbrands
began to develop. Just as Procter
and Gamble have Pringles, Head &
Shoulders and Crest, America had
California, Texas, Arizona, Virginia,
Colorado and many more, each one
showcased around the world in movies,
historical events, TV shows, products
and personalities. Like all good brands,
these states were more than just names:
they soon became shorthand for the
ideas and values and ways of life they
represented. Such evocative images as
gold prospectors, the Alamo, and
cowboys and Indians stand out in the
imaginations of millions around the
world, and have become so intrinsic to
the idea of America that it is impossible
to imagine it without them. This is
equally true for Americans as it is for
foreigners. The American sense of
identity has always been inspired and
informed by ideas of a “pioneering
spirit”, “Yankee ingenuity” and “frontier
justice”, and such ideas are far more
strongly linked to some states than others.

However, the overall ranking – the total
marks of each state on all six points of
the hexagon – shows that there is a big
gap between the megabrands of
California, Florida and the rest. Hawaii
and New York are in the second league
of brand power, and then there is
another sizeable gap between them and
the remaining 46 States.
45 of these are
clustered relatively closely in terms of
their brand strength, but there is another
big gap between the 49th brand,
Alabama, and the 50th, New Jersey.
For various reasons, NJ’s brand is
right out on a limb at the tail-end of
the index.

Overseas, the images are more likely to
be generic, and may have been mainly
formed by books, films or historical
events that can date back decades or
even centuries. Each country will also
tend to have its own unique views of
certain states, depending on that
country’s historical connections with
the state in question – hence the higher
awareness and ranking of the New
England states by British respondents,
the above-average scores amongst
German panelists for states with large
German populations like Oregon, and
the awareness of Louisiana amongst
French panelists. Mexican panelists rank
New Mexico, Illinois and Utah well
above the global average; the Canadian
panel – unsurprisingly – ranks Michigan,
Maine and Vermont above average
(further confirming the finding from the
Nation Brands Index that personal familiarity
with a place will almost always
increase its brand value); the Chinese
rank Alaska and Missouri above average,
and the Japanese give high rankings
to Kentucky, Alaska and Minnesota.

California is almost certainly the state
the world hears about most often, and
the one with the most distinctive and
powerful identity and culture. Certainly,
it’s the only one with a governor who’s
almost as world-famous as the president,
and has always had global ambitions
coupled with a remarkable gift for selfpromotion.

State Rank
California 1
Florida 2
Hawaii 3
New York 4
Washington 5
North Carolina 6
Virginia 7
Kentucky 8
Colorado 9
Texas 10
Oregon 11
New Mexico 12
Tennessee 13
Vermont 14
Missouri 15
Alaska 16
South Carolina 17
Montana 18
Nevada 19
Ohio 20
Maine 21
Arizona 22
Maryland 23
Utah 24
Wyoming 25
Connecticut 26
West Virginia 27
Oklahoma 28
Massachusetts 29
New Hampshire 30
Idaho 31
Pennsylvania 32
Georgia 33
Minnesota 34
Rhode Island 35
Kansas 36
Wisconsin 37
Iowa 38
South Dakota 39
Illinois 40
Louisiana 41
Indiana 42
Nebraska 43
Mississippi 44
North Dakota 45
Arkansas 46
Delaware 47
Michigan 48
Alabama 49
New Jersey 50

http://www.statebrandsindex.com/docs/SBI_2006.pdf (broken link)
Well, color me shocked that NC, Virginia, Kentucky, and especially Colorado and Washington State rank ahead of Texas on this brand identity survey.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 PM

40,060 posts, read 19,222,489 times
A couple of thousand people from "around the world" (18Montclair doesn't say where) and disputing this is "poisoning the well?" There are more than two billion people in the world. A few thousand happen to mention California--more than likely because of name recognition, not because it's a "powerful" state--and that constitutes gospel truth, apparently.

There isn't any well to be poisoned, because the survey you seem to place such heavy reliance on was meaningless. Just like all the polls you can find in this forum declaring one city to be "better" than another.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:03 PM

amazing how many people voted no yet only 3 or 4 people have actually spoken and defended their "No" position. And nobody has yet to produce any stats or real evidence that shows how another state like NY or TX is more powerful. I think some people just vote against CA just to do so. With by far the most people it will be the most powerful whether people can admit that or not, not saying it's the best by any means b/c that is subjective. Numbers speak for themselves and CA has the numbers that shows how its the most powerful. If TX or NY had CA's population and Ca had less people, then they would be more powerful, but they don't.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
amazing how many people voted no yet only 3 or 4 people have actually spoken and defended their "No" position. And nobody has yet to produce any stats or real evidence that shows how another state like NY or TX is more powerful. I think some people just vote against CA just to do so. With by far the most people it will be the most powerful whether people can admit that or not, not saying it's the best by any means b/c that is subjective. Numbers speak for themselves and CA has the numbers that shows how its the most powerful. If TX or NY had CA's population and Ca had less people, then they would be more powerful, but they don't.
People are voting "No" because of the way the survey is worded. A "Yes" vote implies that California is the best place in America and that nowhere else is important at all. That is simply not true.

I think we all know that California is the largest state by population and has a great effect on politics, economy, and society, but we have yet to provide a definition of what "power" means.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
People are voting "No" because of the way the survey is worded. A "Yes" vote implies that California is the best place in America and that nowhere else is important at all. That is simply not true.

I think we all know that California is the largest state by population and has a great effect on politics, economy, and society, but we have yet to provide a definition of what "power" means.

No it doesn't, how does a "yes" vote imply its the best when the title of the thread is about most POWERFUL, not best? And nothing implies everywhere else is not important at all. You read way too much into this poll when nothing says or indicates that CA is the best, this is just about power so stop trying to twist words around and pull meanings out of nowhere to bolster you argument.

You just interpreted that way b/c it makes it easier for you to put it down, you had so many posts that kept talking about combining east coast states and how it's not the best, etc... when the thread had nothing to do with that.

Having the greatest affect on economy, politics, and society is power. And yes b/c CA has the most people it will be the most powerful. And that applies to any state, if NY or TX were the size of CA and CA was smaller they would me the most powerful then, but they are not.

This shouldn't even be a debate, our population alone automatically makes us the most powerful, it's as simple as that.

All these "no" votes and only one person has actually made an attempt to back up their claim.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't, how does a "yes" vote imply its the best when the title of the thread is about most POWERFUL, not best? And nothing implies everywhere else is not important at all. You read way too much into this poll when nothing says or indicates that CA is the best, this is just about power so stop trying to twist words around and pull meanings out of nowhere to bolster you argument.

You just interpreted that way b/c it makes it easier for you to put it down, you had so many posts that kept talking about combining east coast states and how it's not the best, etc... when the thread had nothing to do with that.

Having the greatest affect on economy, politics, and society is power. And yes b/c CA has the most people it will be the most powerful. And that applies to any state, if NY or TX were the size of CA and CA was smaller they would me the most powerful then, but they are not.

This shouldn't even be a debate, our population alone automatically makes us the most powerful, it's as simple as that.

All these "no" votes and only one person has actually made an attempt to back up their claim.
When the vote for "Yes" includes the words "Economic beast" and the vote for "No" obviously tries to discourage anyone from voting that way by the wording, one can easily see why this poll is not valid.

Maybe I am reading too much into it. But it seems that the creator of this thread did not want to see if people actually thought California was the most powerful state. They wanted to point out (from the wording of the choices) that California is the most powerful state and that they had already decided that.

You know as well as I do that the poll would be more fair if the choices were simply "Yes" or "No" with no added sarcasms or biases.

My point about east coast states may have been a little irrelevant, but all I was trying to do was to illustrate that there is nothing special about California. Just as much power can be found elsewhere.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:40 PM

12,142 posts, read 21,401,998 times
I haven't voted because of the wording of the poll. It isn't a poll, it is a California egocentric question. You cannot answer no because it isn't true there are shows filmed there and I have never heard a neutral California accent. If it is neutral, then it isn't an accent at all, bur we all know different parts of the Country sound different to people from other parts of the Country. Just because California sounds neutral to those that live there doesn't mean it is the "right" accent to have, just that is what you are used to hearing. Just like the East Coast sounds right to them and different to others. Like the Western Accent sounds right to the people in the west and not to the rest of us.

If the poll was worded so there were valid choices, then there would be more votes one way or the other. I don't believe California, New York, or any other state is "The most powerful" in the US. There are too many definitions of what constitutes power. Decisions made in one state really have little affect on other states when it comes right down to it. Look at the recent election, Can anybody here really tell the rest of us, without looking, what the other states had on their ballots for proposals? And do we care if it doesn't pertain to our own state? The only other one I have heard about is the gay marriage in California, but only because I read it on this thread. Other than that, nope haven't heard, don't really care. Just like none of you care two bits about the 2 ballot proposals we had here in Michigan.

Why do you think the federal government is set up the way it is where each state regardless of population has the same number of senators on a national level? House seats are based on population, but if California being the most populous state proposes something on the National level that other states do not agree with then even if all their house members vote for it, it still will not come to pass on the national level. We are purposely set up so these kinds of stupid arguments really mean nothing. If economics were the only measure, then you would HAVE to say yes it is. Same for population. But those are just two of hundreds of different measurements that could be used and none of them represents "power". Power is the ability to do something even if others oppose it, California cannot do that, neither can any other state.

Go ahead and gripe and moan now. Hurl personal insults against me and my state, I really don't care. If you were being honest and not ranting like children, you would know that the above is the dead nut truth.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:43 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,189,290 times
Quote:

If NY and TX were destroyed, CA would feel it hard and so would the rest of the nation. Same thing would happened if CA was destroyed, NY AND TX would feel it; that's why I rank them on the same level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.