U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: California Most Powerful State in America?
Yes! Economic beast, T.V shows, cali way of "speaking" 66 51.16%
No , it doenst have the best economy, no shows are filmed there, no one uses a neutral cali accent 63 48.84%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:50 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8931

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
If NY and TX were destroyed, CA would feel it hard and so would the rest of the nation. Same thing would happened if CA was destroyed, NY AND TX would feel it; that's why I rank them on the same level.
That's a pretty odd way of looking at, you are not quantifying anything here but just coming up with some odd, random scenario that makes it come out even. But get real, the fact that CA has so many more people makes it more powerful and people are trying to complicate more than it has to be to make an argument against it.

 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:54 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8931
I didn't really even pay much attention what was written after "Yes" or "No" b/c it was pretty stupid to begin with. I just looked at it as a "Yes" or "No" answer. And the fact that we have by far the most people makes us the most powerful, it is pretty damn simple as that. But people twist it around and read to much into to it so it makes it easier to say "no" then spin things to try to bolster their argument. People seriously need to get over their inferiority complexes. NYC is the most powerful city in the nation as it is so much bigger than any other city, nothing wrong with that. Not saying its the best but it's the most powerful. CA is the same way. Of all developed countries the US is the most powerful b/c we are the biggest. Size matters here.
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's a pretty odd way of looking at, you are not quantifying anything here but just coming up with some odd, random scenario that makes it come out even. But get real, the fact that CA has so many more people makes it more powerful and people are trying to complicate more than it has to be to make an argument against it.
Ok lets see how you get around the city without your car. CA depends on TX for oil. Your housing market is crashing because of the stock market (New York city). More people don't mean more power.
 
Old 11-06-2008, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
505 posts, read 1,225,071 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I didn't really even pay much attention what was written after "Yes" or "No" b/c it was pretty stupid to begin with. I just looked at it as a "Yes" or "No" answer. And the fact that we have by far the most people makes us the most powerful, it is pretty damn simple as that. But people twist it around and read to much into to it so it makes it easier to say "no" then spin things to try to bolster their argument. People seriously need to get over their inferiority complexes. NYC is the most powerful city in the nation as it is so much bigger than any other city, nothing wrong with that. Not saying its the best but it's the most powerful. CA is the same way. Of all developed countries the US is the most powerful b/c we are the biggest. Size matters here.
I'd trust your opinion more if you weren't from California.

Another thing that I am so SO tired of is people on this forum throwing around the term "inferiority complex" in situations like this. What are you trying to prove? The everyone is jealous of California's status and outsiders are so bitter about it that we vote "No" on the survey? That is not what's going on here.
 
Old 11-06-2008, 03:10 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ok lets see how you get around the city without your car. CA depends on TX for oil. Your housing market is crashing because of the stock market (New York city). More people don't mean more power.
Actually CA doesn't depend on TX for any oil, at least according to this article: California getting less of its oil from domestic sources | The San Diego Union-Tribune

We're not the only state whose housing market crashed, so not sure the point of that, especially since that is a NATIONAL crisis.


Either way you are just looking at this from some odd angle to spin it and try to make states that are powerful but not equal in power and influence seem like they are. If TX was the biggest state you'd probably wouldn't even be trying to play this angle.
 
Old 11-06-2008, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Southie
103 posts, read 323,645 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Size matters here.
I still have to disagree w/this size argument. The EU has nearly 200 million more people when compared to the US, and is also the worlds largest economy. However the EU is not more powerful than the US on the global stage.

Size does not equal power.
 
Old 11-06-2008, 03:19 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I'd trust your opinion more if you weren't from California.

Another thing that I am so SO tired of is people on this forum throwing around the term "inferiority complex" in situations like this. What are you trying to prove? The everyone is jealous of California's status and outsiders are so bitter about it that we vote "No" on the survey? That is not what's going on here.
The fact that you don't trust my opinion just b/c I am from CA shows your obvious bias here. So you agree with my opinion except don't agree with it just b/c of my location, that makes no sense and shows a bias. Imagine it says San Diego, TX instead of San Diego, Ca, does that really change what I am saying here?

Well considering nobody, except for maybe Boston Mark who was somewhat logical but still not that good with his reasons, has made any legitimate case showing which state is more powerful and how, kind of reeks of an inferiority complex, some people are voting No just to vote against CA. It's the same as a poll pitting any city against NYC as the most powerful, the other city will always get at least some votes despite NYC obviously being the most powerful. I don't think everyone or even that many people are "jealous" or "bitter" of CA but they are either biased or just straight up uninformed if they can't see that it is clearly the most powerful state based on numbers and population alone. Numbers speak for themselves here. Some people on here and across the nation simply cannot look at CA from an unbiased, neutral opinion, that is what I am basically saying.

Last edited by sav858; 11-06-2008 at 03:28 PM..
 
Old 11-06-2008, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
505 posts, read 1,225,071 times
Reputation: 224
You are biased because you are from California. Of course your going to take more pride in California than the average person. You're the one with bias here, not me.
 
Old 11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston mark View Post
I still have to disagree w/this size argument. The EU has nearly 200 million more people when compared to the US, and is also the worlds largest economy. However the EU is not more powerful than the US on the global stage.

Size does not equal power.
Not sure I'd agree with that. We tend to look at Europe as individual countries rather than as a whole together, despite the EU. If all of Europe was one, single nation with a common culture I think it would be the most powerful. Just like if all the states in the Bos-Wash corridor were a single state it would be more powerful than CA.
 
Old 11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
You are biased because you are from California. Of course your going to take more pride in California than the average person. You're the one with bias here, not me.
Wow, so you don't even address or explain anything I said but instead just say "i'm not biased you are b/c you are from CA", give me a break and grow up already. Are you even out of high school?

What have I said that is not true and that is biased????? If you make a claim then back it up with something.

So are you automatically biased in any argument you make for the Northeast since that is where you are from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top