U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2008, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Midessa, Texas Home Yangzhou, Jiangsu temporarily
1,505 posts, read 3,845,260 times
Reputation: 931

Advertisements

Congratulations to Obama and the democrats on your big win.

I must say though that I am disappointed in the reactions to Obama's win. I naively believed that America had really gotten beyond race. Since yesterday however I seen people say how happy they that a black man won, not that they are happy that the man who they felt was the best candidate won. This demonstrates that people are as racist as ever. The only thing that has changed is the flavor of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2008, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Scarsdale, NY
2,775 posts, read 10,721,520 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Congratulations to Obama and the democrats on your big win.

I must say though that I am disappointed in the reactions to Obama's win. I naively believed that America had really gotten beyond race. Since yesterday however I seen people say how happy they that a black man won, not that they are happy that the man who they felt was the best candidate won. This demonstrates that people are as racist as ever. The only thing that has changed is the flavor of racism.
I don't care that he's black, I care that he has no experience or knowledge outside that air conditioned office he worked in his whole life. No common sense, no street smarts... He can read a book and claim he knows... McCain can serve his country and know he knows.

Besides, I can't get past that Bill Ayers relationship. Same with Obama's Priest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:11 PM
 
294 posts, read 684,213 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
It's a losing battle. Let them have their enjoyment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
uhh.... correction... President with significant traces of African Decent.
With all due respect, black Americans did NOT invent this rule. Long ago, American (white) forefathers determined that any person with just a small percentage of 'Negro blood' was inferior and to be classified as black. Instead of black people fighting against the stigma and negative labelling of having mixed blood, they embraced it and accepted any and all who were unfairly classified into thier "brotherhood".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
Reputation: 3232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
You people are for abortion but against the death penalty... What the **** is that? It's okay to kill a baby but not a ****in mass murderer? Are you ****in kidding me? A fetus become a baby at 4 months. It's a living human being at 4 months and it's okay to kill the baby but not a murderer? Put the baby up for adoption if you can't take care of it!!!! But our prisons are overflowing as it is.
I'm against abortion AND the death penalty, and they should both be abolished. It's not OK to murder ANYONE. Both are evils that shouldn't exist. Adoption, not abortion, should be encouraged by the government. As far as prisons overflowing, here's a good idea: stop imprisoning people for victimless crimes! If we stop putting non-violent criminals in prison, and saved prisons for dangerous violent criminals and sex offenders only, there wouldn't be this problem.

By the way, I voted for McCain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,322,815 times
Reputation: 1589
Is he really the president? I mean, wouldn't he be the FUTURE 44th President, and the FUTURE first president who isn't full white (I can't say he is black, i don't follow the dumb one drop rule)? I mean, Bush is still the president you see what im saying

But Anyway, YAY! Im very happy he won. I mean i would have been happy either way but i feel like this was more triumphant you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,456 posts, read 7,522,343 times
Reputation: 4344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Congratulations to Obama and the democrats on your big win.

I must say though that I am disappointed in the reactions to Obama's win. I naively believed that America had really gotten beyond race. Since yesterday however I seen people say how happy they that a black man won, not that they are happy that the man who they felt was the best candidate won. This demonstrates that people are as racist as ever. The only thing that has changed is the flavor of racism.
I know this isn't the politics forum, but I must respond.

Implicit to your argument is that many blacks actually saw McCain as the best candidate but just happened to chose Obama because he's of African descent. Going by this logic, regardless of the fact that Blacks had been voting overwhelmingly for white Democratic candidates for decades, they're now just "racist" for practicing typical Democratic voting habits. Apparently, it also doesn't matter that in some parts of the country, whites voted overwhelmingly for McCain -- but because you finally have an example of blacks voting for a black candidate you can decry "reverse racism," right? I mean, I guess blacks were also "racist" for rallying around MLK, simply because he was a black man, not that he had something inspiring to say or anything.

Give me a break.

This is a historic moment for everyone. Barack Obama did not win the vast majority of black voters only because he was black -- he won them because he happened to be a candidate that represented a post-racial society for which blacks had been hoping for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge
1,734 posts, read 5,059,580 times
Reputation: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
With all due respect, black Americans did NOT invent this rule. Long ago, American (white) forefathers determined that any person with just a small percentage of 'Negro blood' was inferior and to be classified as black. Instead of black people fighting against the stigma and negative labelling of having mixed blood, they embraced it and accepted any and all who were unfairly classified into thier "brotherhood".
Come off it. I thought this was supposed to be the "future". At least that is what all the Obama supporters say. Why are you living in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Midessa, Texas Home Yangzhou, Jiangsu temporarily
1,505 posts, read 3,845,260 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I know this isn't the politics forum, but I must respond.

Implicit to your argument is that many blacks actually saw McCain as the best candidate but just happened to chose Obama because he's of African descent. Going by this logic, regardless of the fact that Blacks had been voting overwhelmingly for white Democratic candidates for decades, they're now just "racist" for practicing typical Democratic voting habits. Apparently, it also doesn't matter that in some parts of the country, whites voted overwhelmingly for McCain -- but because you finally have an example of blacks voting for a black candidate you can decry "reverse racism," right? I mean, I guess blacks were also "racist" for rallying around MLK, simply because he was a black man, not that he had something inspiring to say or anything.
I am just basing my opinion their own words. If people are happy that a democrat won or that Obama won it is not racism. But to be happy that America has a black president simply because he is black is just more of the same old racism. Or maybe racism is too hard of a word, it is just identity politics and strikes me as immensely childish. Even worse, it does not honor MLK. Dr. King had a dream that one day people would be judged by the content of their character not the color of their skin. There is much to like about Obama and I hope he is a very successful president, but in a post-racial society his skin color would not even warrant mention much less celebration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Give me a break.

This is a historic moment for everyone. Barack Obama did not win the vast majority of black voters only because he was black -- he won them because he happened to be a candidate that represented a post-racial society for which blacks had been hoping for decades.
In a truly post-racial society, Obama's victory would be no more or less historic than that of any other candidate. The fact that it is considered historic indicates to me that we haven't really come very far at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Albany (school) NYC (home)
893 posts, read 2,518,608 times
Reputation: 370
I'm glad Obama won. He can help spread the wealth a little bit. I have lots of family that live in projects in New York City and they are as hard working as anyone else. But they might not have had the education as a typical American because as soon as they came to America they went straight to work to help contribute to the family's needs. My grandma is disabled so of course I am happy that people with so much money that they don't know what to do with it, will be taxed so people like my grandma can have a healthy easy life with out having to worry about money as much. Even when I am older and become a doctor I am most likely going to stay a democrat because I believe that we should help each fellow American out as much as we can.

Your parents make 700k?! I wish my parents made 100k together, things would be so much easier. That is why I am going to go to college, most likely a state university to enrich myself. So I won't be struggling for money when I am older. Please consider the other 300million Americans in the world. Please.

Congrats Obama. Hopefully you make the country a better place. I'm glad that there is a multiracial president(i'm multiracial also), that can feel what both sides need. Everyone's brains and hearts are the same color, so don't just think he's only going to help the black people out. When he is going to help this Country out.

I'm proud to be an American. =]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2008, 04:36 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,382 posts, read 15,322,815 times
Reputation: 1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post

Your parents make 700k?! I wish my parents made 100k together, things would be so much easier. That is why I am going to go to college, most likely a state university to enrich myself. So I won't be struggling for money when I am older. Please consider the other 300million Americans in the world. Please.
o/t but why should someone who is successful have to be robbed of their hard earned money? You really think its selfish that they actually MADE their '700k'? OMG he has money give it to everyone else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top