Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:02 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Congratulations to Obama and the democrats on your big win.

I must say though that I am disappointed in the reactions to Obama's win. I naively believed that America had really gotten beyond race. Since yesterday however I seen people say how happy they that a black man won, not that they are happy that the man who they felt was the best candidate won. This demonstrates that people are as racist as ever. The only thing that has changed is the flavor of racism.
Just because people are happy that he is the first black president doesn't mean that him being black is why they voted for him or that is it the main reason they are happy he got elected at all. It is just something that is definitely worth noting. It would have been the same thing if Sarah Palin became the first woman VP or Hillary the first woman president. It was an HISTORICAL FIRST and that is why people talked about it so much. Why would you ignore this historical moment?? I am glad Obama is president for many reasons, not b/c he is black. But it is a special achievement that has never been reached before, if anything I hope it inspires blacks, makes them stop listening to the BS of Jessie Jackson or Sharpton, and shows them race cannot stop you from being the most powerful person in the world. It is a great moment in our history and shows just how far we have come and how racism is becoming less and less part of our society every year and there is nothing wrong with noting that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 05:42 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
In a truly post-racial society, Obama's victory would be no more or less historic than that of any other candidate. The fact that it is considered historic indicates to me that we haven't really come very far at all.
I'm willing the bet that the vast majority of Americans beg to differ. You may not agree with his policies, but being elected as the first black president is most definitely a milestone for racial discourse in this country -- and there's no amount spin that can invalidate that.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:46 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Just because people are happy that he is the first black president doesn't mean that him being black is why they voted for him or that is it the main reason they are happy he got elected at all. It is just something that is definitely worth noting. It would have been the same thing if Sarah Palin became the first woman VP or Hillary the first woman president. It was an HISTORICAL FIRST and that is why people talked about it so much. Why would you ignore this historical moment?? I am glad Obama is president for many reasons, not b/c he is black. But it is a special achievement that has never been reached before, if anything I hope it inspires blacks, makes them stop listening to the BS of Jessie Jackson or Sharpton, and shows them race cannot stop you from being the most powerful person in the world. It is a great moment in our history and shows just how far we have come and how racism is becoming less and less part of our society every year and there is nothing wrong with noting that.
I guess I am not making my point very clearly. I did not say anything about how people voted. I am just disappointed in with some of my countrymen who are saying they are glad that we a black president specifically. I am glad that race didn't prevent Obama's victory, but I don't think race is something that needs to be celebrated in a supposedly post-racial society.

Maybe I can demonstrate by using a historical example. Early in the history of the Roman Empire only Romans of noble families could serve in the senate or be emperors. Over time these restrictions changed and one day a barbarian (a non Roman) became emperor. Can you believe it? Wow! A barbarian! Now without using google can you tell me who that was? It was Trajan don't bother googling. But most people don't know that or even care. And why should they? It seems silly to us but at the time it was big deal. We have long ago put aside the notion that in order to a good and effective ruler one must come from noble family.

Now look at our empire. Wow! A black man can be president? Golly! It comes as no surprise to me that Obama could win the election. My understanding was that we put aside the idea that the president of the U.S. must be a white man so it is really no big deal.

I am not trying to troll anyone here, I am just somewhat disappointed that for many Americans and even others around the world that the race of the U.S. president is apparently still an issue.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm willing the bet that the vast majority of Americans beg to differ. You may not agree with his policies, but being elected as the first black president is most definitely a milestone for racial discourse in this country -- and there's no amount spin that can invalidate that.
Sadly, I know you are right. Having a black president shouldn't be anymore meaningful than having a president named Mike. It is my own naivety to blame, I actually believed the hype about American being a post-racial society.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
o/t but why should someone who is successful have to be robbed of their hard earned money? You really think its selfish that they actually MADE their '700k'? OMG he has money give it to everyone else!
True. But I'm not asking for them to lose 50k, a mere 3-5k would be enough.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
True. But I'm not asking for them to lose 50k, a mere 3-5k would be enough.
So you think we should have tax cuts? I agree. I don't make anywhere near $700,000 and I would love to only pay $5000 in income taxes.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:52 PM

294 posts, read 781,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
Come off it. I thought this was supposed to be the "future". At least that is what all the Obama supporters say. Why are you living in the past.
I am already off it. Just stating fact and why things are the way the are and why people think and act the way the do. You don't know me, if you did you would know that of all people you would ever meet I am a forward thinking person. Again, I was just stating what it is.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:08 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
I guess I am not making my point very clearly. I did not say anything about how people voted. I am just disappointed in with some of my countrymen who are saying they are glad that we a black president specifically. I am glad that race didn't prevent Obama's victory, but I don't think race is something that needs to be celebrated in a supposedly post-racial society.

Maybe I can demonstrate by using a historical example. Early in the history of the Roman Empire only Romans of noble families could serve in the senate or be emperors. Over time these restrictions changed and one day a barbarian (a non Roman) became emperor. Can you believe it? Wow! A barbarian! Now without using google can you tell me who that was? It was Trajan don't bother googling. But most people don't know that or even care. And why should they? It seems silly to us but at the time it was big deal. We have long ago put aside the notion that in order to a good and effective ruler one must come from noble family.

Now look at our empire. Wow! A black man can be president? Golly! It comes as no surprise to me that Obama could win the election. My understanding was that we put aside the idea that the president of the U.S. must be a white man so it is really no big deal.

I am not trying to troll anyone here, I am just somewhat disappointed that for many Americans and even others around the world that the race of the U.S. president is apparently still an issue.
And if Hillary had been the Dem. nominee and won the presidency, would you be as saddened by the inevitable headlines exclaiming "America's First Woman President"?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
What is with some people...why in the world would some people want 4 more years of Bush agenda, when you can have something new. A fresh face, new idea's, breaking the mold. Getting rid of the "old white men agenda" that have totally messed up this country and have ticked off nations against us.
It's about time the voters got it right.
What a racist post. Kiss off. You have absolutely no idea what youre talking about, just like the rest of the brainless, Obamacon robots. Utterly laughable.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 PM

235 posts, read 773,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Ummmmm.....He's half black and half white. Why do some folks keep referring to the man as black when he is actually bi-racial. It seems to diminish his mothers contribution, IMO.

Black or white, I am waiting to see if he plans to deliver on all those promises he made or just be another corrupt polititian. His race shouldn't be the focus but how he plans to "change" things for the better for all Americans.
THE Oreo kid!! Yaw hand over the Raine's to this person,oh well here goes the neighborhood!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.