U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:40 PM

2,064 posts, read 6,019,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Cairo, IL. A once-important river and railroad town, now inhabited but largely in ruins.
Cairo (pronounce KAY-ROW) is the strangest place I've seen as well. It is like an inhabited ghost town. You can still see though that it was once prosperous. Creepy, depressing place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 02:45 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,362,491 times
Rock Springs, Wyoming. Can't explain it. It was just weird, and almost every small town in West Virginia.

I love West Virginia as it is a beautiful state. The small towns through are very very weird.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,251,135 times
I wanted to see a ghost town in the west when I went to Las Vegas. We went to Good Springs, about 30 miles outside Las Vegas. But the thing is, it wasn't a ghost town, lol. It was just an extremely small town of about 50 people max, and lots of vacant, very old buildings. Old cars from the 1950s laying around too. There were some lots with very old, rusty antiques just sitting there. Looked like a very poor town. I felt so out of place walking around. It was so quiet and eerie. It was a cool experience though. There used to be tours going on, but supposedly not anymore. That's a shame, since we were looking forward to a tour.

Goodsprings - Nevada Ghost Town

Old 01-14-2009, 04:52 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,502,992 times
Preston, Idaho. Napoleon Dynamite was filmed there, and the town is exactly like it was portrayed in the movie. It seemed really eerie to me because it seemed like it was stuck in the 80's.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,661,545 times
Hoschton, Georgia. We started driving through town and I seriously felt like I was in a BAD horror movie.There were scare crows EVERYWHERE. They had them posed in normal everyday positions, leaning over the hood of a car, a group standing in yard, like they were talking, getting mail from a mail box.And every once in awhile you'd see one waving.It was like the entire population of the town had been taken over and replaced by the scarecrows. I found out later they were trying to set a world record for the most scarecrows, but it was CREEE PEEEE.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:26 PM

56,696 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Tchula, Mississippi. I thought that it was a town where time stood still and not in a good way.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Preston, Idaho. Napoleon Dynamite was filmed there, and the town is exactly like it was portrayed in the movie. It seemed really eerie to me because it seemed like it was stuck in the 80's.

That's pretty funny, because it seems like Napoleon Dynamite kind of portrayed it in a way that the town was so behind times and still stuck in the 80s lol.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:28 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Lynchburg, Virginia. Those people were so stupid. I felt like I was in St. Olaf, MN....the town that Rose on the Golden Girls came from.
St. Olaf, MN? St. Olaf is a college in Northfield, MN and a neat little place.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:35 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,078,490 times
Cassadaga, FL...a town almost entirely populated by mediums. I can't even begin to describe it to you.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
My wife tlold me she was in New Orleans once on a casual spring-break trip with her daughters, and they were looking for something to do. She saw Shell Beach on a map and drove out there. It is called Shell Beach because that is where the Shell Oil Company has a bunch of storage tanks sitting right next to the water, which is inaccessible.

----------

We once arranged to meet some friends from another town in an in-between place to go on an outing one Sunday. They told us they would meet us in front of the supermarket, in Licking, Missouri. After we had sat there a few minutes, a cop came and explained to us that it is illegal in Licking for people to sit in a parked car. We could either get out of the car and wait on the sidewalk, or we could pull the car into the supermarket parking lot, since the law does not apply to private parking lots. I'm pretty sure I understood the law correctly, as he explained it, but it still seems like I must be missing something.
--------------
There are a couple of all-Black towns in unexpected places. One of them is Nicodemus, in the middle of the Kansas prairie, and the other is Idlewild, in the forests of northern Michigan. Nicodemus was settled by runaway slaves. Idlewild was once a well-to-do resort, but in the early 20th century, it was opened to blacks, who now occupy nesrly all the cottages that are still standing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.