U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 PM

30 posts, read 90,761 times

Advertisements

Here are the places that have given me the weirdest vibes...

5. Salt Lake City, Utah: Sorry, really nothing against the Mormons, who are usually wonderful upstanding people, but the temple in Salt Lake city was just the freakiest place I have ever been in. The huge Jesus statute against a weird New-Age-y space background and the zombie-like "are you brothers" tour guides... just left me as a regular old Protestant feeling kind of "violated" (okay, that was offensive to Mormons, but the truth).

4. Wagga Wagga, Australia: Strange name, arrived in city at 5 pm on a Friday and it was a ghost town-- every restaurant and shop was closed shut... but mostly the name.

3. Bishop, California: I have no idea why, but this town outside of Death Valley in California gave me the weirdest vibe ever. I felt like I was in some sci-fi movie like the Hills Have Eyes. Maybe too much radiation from the 1950's atomic testing in the neighboring Nevada desert?

2. Centralia, Pennsylvania: The whole city is burning, and has been for a number of decades.

1. Colorado City, Arizona: The world's largest polygamist colony. Really freaky. Saw no people out and about except for a creepy, run-down swing-set with five blonde village-of-the-damned looking kids playing on it. Really freaky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 PM

134 posts, read 295,844 times
Ketchikan, Alaska. Tourist trap with a seedy underbelly.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:40 PM

6,420 posts, read 10,880,165 times
Tracy City, TN...when you're driving through town, you can feel the eyes watching you...

Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,028,688 times
Carlyle, IL

Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 PM

6,525 posts, read 7,481,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Tracy City, TN...when you're driving through town, you can feel the eyes watching you...

Yea we got a few towns like that here in Mi too. You know right away when you look at the people that the gene pool is shallow and that you are not wanted there. You can almost here them thinking, "didnt see you at the family reunion, so you dont belong here" And yes you can always feel the eyes on you too. I live in a town of 500 people way out in the farm country of Michigan, but I know our town is not like that. In fact most towns are not, but theres always one or two places where something is different. Hard to say what makes a town like that.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 PM

67 posts, read 136,527 times
I have totally enjoyed reading this thread. I have seriously LOL'd!!

My weirdest town experience was in Rocky Mount, NC. I seriously felt like I needed a bullet proof jacket walking in that Walmart. Finished shopping and walked outside where I man came running up telling me that I shouldn't be alone out there at night. I finally caught all the commotion and there was a lady that was walking out with a stolen TV in her cart with all the security gaurds and cops trying to get her to produce her sales slip and she produced a GUN!!! Something is just WRONG with that place. SERIOUS crime like I have never seen in another other place!!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:10 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,035,737 times
Clovis, New Mexico and Burnsville, West Virginia are strangest place I have ever been.

St. Louis takes the Cake for big cities.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:31 PM

643 posts, read 981,734 times
I know it's not a small place but Detroit is mine. The fact that it was such an amazing place but then with the decline of the automobile industry many just left. So many vacant, burnt down and just generally abandoned houses. The suburbs are quite similar in some cases to. If you have never seen it first hand it is worth seeing. A city built for two million or so people, now with 800,000 living there. No rush hour, not much traffic.

Just imagine a city after a nuclear holocaust.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:37 PM

821 posts, read 1,256,504 times
Bellaire, Ohio.

Probably one of the most depressing Ohio Valley towns. Houses that are falling in, trash on the sides of roads, uncouth people walking up and down the streets. I was hungry when I past through there and against my best judgment, I stopped at the local McDonalds. I never saw so much redneck behavior in my life.

The other little nearby towns (Martins Ferry, Bridgeport, Moundsville (WV), etc.) have fallen on hard times as well but they don't have that creepy feeling unique to Bellaire.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:18 PM

6,869 posts, read 7,820,891 times
There's a collection of three small villages in northern Delaware collectively referred to as "The Ardens." They were founded in 1900 as a utopian community. To this day, its residents do not individually own the land their houses are on; rather it is held collectively as a trust. The Ardens are known today as an artist community, and residents can choose to join quite a variety of "guilds" depending on their hobbies and interests. A night I visited friends there happened to be the night of the monthly community dinner in the Guild Hall. It's not populated with weird hippies like it sounds like it would be - my friend work for DuPont.

Here's a link for anyone wanting to learn more: Village of Arden, Delaware, official government website of a utopian, single-tax community founded in 1900 noted for its arts, crafts, and theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.