U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 04:55 PM

847 posts, read 1,637,460 times

Advertisements

Paris, Virginia was pretty scary. I felt like I went back in time to the Civil War. The only people outside were some very old folks sitting on their porches watching you drive by. The only business I saw was an old inn and I drove through the entire town. You could hear a pin drop, it was a town frozen in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:12 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,419,189 times
Good call on Arden! I've spent time in the guild hall. There are some weird hippies there, too, even if they look quite "normal" in their day jobs! It's a neat place.

Madrid, New Mexico, is one of the weirdest places I've been. It's a tiny stop on the drive between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, and is this strange mix between dusty old coal town and arts community.

There are some far weirder-sounding places on this thread, though. I'm going to have to take notes; I like a good weird (well, good weird) vacation destination.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:34 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,201,196 times
Helen, Georgia, USA

Town law requires buildings to have facades like old timey alpine villages. It was sort of odd, but it was cool too. I can't even imagine how the guy who came up with the idea sold it to the city.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 PM

6,857 posts, read 7,804,484 times
Uptown - You've been to Arden. I've been to Madrid. Seems like we're on the same journey. Peace & love

Old 03-12-2011, 10:04 AM

67 posts, read 166,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yea we got a few towns like that here in Mi too. You know right away when you look at the people that the gene pool is shallow and that you are not wanted there. You can almost here them thinking, "didnt see you at the family reunion, so you dont belong here" And yes you can always feel the eyes on you too. I live in a town of 500 people way out in the farm country of Michigan, but I know our town is not like that. In fact most towns are not, but theres always one or two places where something is different. Hard to say what makes a town like that.
like where?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:23 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,022,772 times
You could always go to Oniontown, NY for laughs (aout and hour and 1/2 outisde the city)

Old 03-16-2011, 05:36 AM

67 posts, read 166,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Paris, Virginia was pretty scary. I felt like I went back in time to the Civil War. The only people outside were some very old folks sitting on their porches watching you drive by. The only business I saw was an old inn and I drove through the entire town. You could hear a pin drop, it was a town frozen in time.
strange that its so close to DC

Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 AM

13,222 posts, read 17,963,194 times
Beaverdam, AZ.

It's a little speck off I-15 as it passes briefly through the northwestern corner of Arizona, about half-way between Mesquite, NV and St. George, UT. It's the last exit on I-15 northbound before you enter the Virgin River Gorge -- talk about a pleasant surprise and an awesome drive! -- but in hindsight, I think I should have stopped for gas in Mesquite. Instead, I stopped in Beaverdam, which looked like a trailer park that had been incorporated as a town. I felt totally out of place there because all the other customers were hanging around and socializing with the employees. It was also the first time I'd ever seen any Mexicans with mullets. That was the day I first coined the phrase "Hixican." (I waited until I was back in the rental minivan to say it, though.)

Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Steinhatchee, Florida, is a funky town on the Gulf shore up in "the Real Florida". I say on the gulf shore, but you can only see the shore when the tide is in, otherwise the gulf is out across about a mile of mud flats. It has quite a substantial population (several hundred, at least), even though it's not listed as a Florida town on C-D, and doesn't have it's own Wikipedia page.

It's mostly sand streets and pick up trucks. Dixie County is one of the most politically corrupt places in the USA, and the worst of the culprits hide out across the river in Steinhatchee, but it's a perfectly safe place to just hang out, I knew several people who lived there.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-16-2011 at 04:39 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 05:28 AM

964 posts, read 2,047,038 times
I haven't been there, but there's a town called Vernon, Florida that was the subject of a very deeply surreal (and great) documentary film in the early 1980s.

The film is called Vernon, Florida and I highly recommend it - it's a bit like some strange collision between David Lynch, Werner Herzog, and William Faulkner, stuck in a one-stoplight town up in the Panhandle. It's truth-is-stranger-than-fiction to the nth degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.