U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 PM

39 posts, read 88,610 times

Advertisements

Los Alamos, New Mexico.

Not a bad place by any means but it is "odd" in that in a 30 drive to Los Alamos from Espanola or even Santa Fe, you feel like you are in a completely different area.
It is surrounded by historic mostly Hispanic towns and Indian Pueblos. But it is mostly non-Hispanic white.

Its population mainly consists of nuclear physicists, engineers, and other scientists and their families.
The town is surrounded by large restricted entry areas and checkpoints.

The architecture and street layout is very middle American. It feels much more like the Midwest rather than the Southwest. Maybe to many people from the Midwest or East, it might seem like a "normal" place in contrast to its surroundings...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:10 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,183,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Tracy City, TN...when you're driving through town, you can feel the eyes watching you...
When I started reading this thread, I immediately tried to think of towns that I would classify as "weird". I didn't really come up with any, but Tracy City was the closest I could think of. I wouldn't say it's all that odd, it's just unsettling for some reason. Maybe it's the stories I've heard, like the middle-aged lady who said she grew up there and once saw her dad and some other men burying a body in the woods. Back in the summer I was trying to sell a car. One of my coworkers suggested leaving it on the shoulder just outside of Tracy City with the hood popped.

There's also Woodbury, TN. The town itself isn't especially weird, but all the stories I've heard of nudist colonies and satanic cults are. I have my doubts about any satanic cults (though there may be some other bizarre cults in the area), but the nudist colony stories are reasonable. Especially since I know of one just a few miles away on Bradyville Pike. Just outside of town there's Short Mountain, atop of which is Short Mountain Bible camp. I had a friend who worked there a few summers, so I got to go up and visit. Everyone said there was a nudist/satanic cult camp at the base of the hill. I don't know how true that is, but one night we were sitting on this deck that hangs out over the edge of the hill a bit and the sun was setting. From down below I could faintly hear a beating drum. And I'm not talking about a snare drum, but what sounded like some sort of native/aboriginal/tribal drum. It was just pounding, over and over and over. Very eerie, even if it was nothing. I have several other stories I've been told through the years, but this post is already going to be pretty long so I'll refrain.

Another kind of odd place in Tennessee is down near Collinwood, which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. A little further southwest of Collinwood is a community (I wouldn't really call it a town) called Cromwell Crossroads. Once on a delivery, I stopped at a store there, which I wasn't even sure was open, but there was a van out front. Inside there was a lady and a man and they were perfectly friendly, but walking back to my truck I realized the only two sounds I could hear were the gravel crunching under my feet, and my heart beating. It was so unbelievably quiet that it was unsettling. If I hadn't gone into the store, I would have sworn there were no living people or animals for miles. There was no wind blowing, no birds chirping, no insect sounds (even though it was summer), just...nothing. Very surreal.

You can actually see the very place I stopped on Google Maps if you copy and paste:

Richard Horton Lane / South Road, Collinwood, TN

And then do street view at Cromwell Crossroads Cemetery.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,734,481 times
Satanic cults, you reminded me. That's the problem a lot of upstate NY has. I remember a lot of satanic cultist activity in the hills and northwards.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post

You can actually see the very place I stopped on Google Maps if you copy and paste:

Richard Horton Lane / South Road, Collinwood, TN

And then do street view at Cromwell Crossroads Cemetery.
For some reason google said they can't find it.

(Nevermind, you have to remove the slash)

Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 PM

970 posts, read 2,603,797 times
Crossville, Tennessee would be up there, for me.

It's an isolated town on the Cumberland Plateau - you have to go out of your way to get there. Once you do get into town, it's a very creepy feeling. Its pretty dead, every other store had a 'FOR LEASE' sign in the window. Yet, there was no shortage of vehicles just parked there for no reason, and tons people just standing around, staring my car down.

Once we left downtown, it was nothing but rundown homes and people just sitting on folding chairs and benches on their porches. There was a man with a long white beard, standing on his driveway in front of his garage, pretending to shoot passing vehicles with an invisible 'shotgun'.

I had my four children and wife with me at the time, and driving through there was a pretty unusual, almost disturbing, experience for both of us.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post

It's an isolated town on the Cumberland Plateau - you have to go out of your way to get there. Once you do get into town, it's a very creepy feeling. Its pretty dead, every other store had a 'FOR LEASE' sign in the window. Yet, there was no shortage of vehicles just parked there for no reason, and tons people just standing around, staring my car down.

Once we left downtown, it was nothing but rundown homes and people just sitting on folding chairs and benches on their porches. There was a man with a long white beard, standing on his driveway in front of his garage, pretending to shoot passing vehicles with an invisible 'shotgun'.

I had my four children and wife with me at the time, and driving through there was a pretty unusual, almost disturbing, experience for both of us.
Sounds like the town I grew up in. XD

Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,288,179 times
Bloomfield, NM. Lived there for six months. Couldn't get me to go back for a million dollars.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:41 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
Okeechobee, Florida, was a pretty creepy looking place. I arrived in town after dark, and checked out a rathole of a motel that (like everything else) had bars on the windows and was way overpriced, and a lot of people in scary looking cars just cruising, and I headed north for about an hour and wound up sleeping in my car in a swamp down a little sand road north of Yeehaw Junction, where the only motel demands a $10 key deposit (because he has to drive all the way to Vero Beach to get keys made) and won't guarantee that you can get it back before 8 am.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:25 PM

970 posts, read 2,603,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Okeechobee, Florida, was a pretty creepy looking place. I arrived in town after dark, and checked out a rathole of a motel that (like everything else) had bars on the windows and was way overpriced, and a lot of people in scary looking cars just cruising, and I headed north for about an hour and wound up sleeping in my car in a swamp down a little sand road north of Yeehaw Junction, where the only motel demands a $10 key deposit (because he has to drive all the way to Vero Beach to get keys made) and won't guarantee that you can get it back before 8 am.
Pretty much every town on Lake Okeechobee has a really weird vibe to it. Specifically, Belle Glade. I was fishing on the lake once and stopped there to look for a bait shop. And boy oh boy, did that place give the willies.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 AM

67 posts, read 136,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post

I live about 25 mins. from there and we have to occassionally do shopping there. Even though I was born and raised here - it IS creeeeepy. Very pretty - but.. yea... you're right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.