U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 AM

171 posts, read 532,440 times

Advertisements

"There was a man with a long white beard, standing on his driveway in front of his garage, pretending to shoot passing vehicles with an invisible 'shotgun'."

Ok, I think this thread can be shut down now. We've determined the creepiest place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 10:46 AM

421 posts, read 768,771 times
Ive been to a few. But I guess Molalla, Oregon struck me as kinda odd.
It seemed like I went back in time about 80 years. But very quaint and
cute though.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:49 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Satanic cults, you reminded me. That's the problem a lot of upstate NY has. I remember a lot of satanic cultist activity in the hills and northwards.
What most upstaters would call Satanic cults, other people would call hippies. Shoot, to an upstater, if you aren't Catholic or Methodist (or something else they have heard of), you are a Satanist.

"What's that? You are reading the Lord of the Rings? You must be a Satanist!"

"You are going to the Renaissance Faire? Isn't that just a cover for Satanism?"

"Are those Birkenstocks? Away from me, Satan!"

:-) Obviously not everyone upstate is like that, but it is a prevalent stereotype. :-)

Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
What most upstaters would call Satanic cults, other people would call hippies. Shoot, to an upstater, if you aren't Catholic or Methodist (or something else they have heard of), you are a Satanist.

:-) Obviously not everyone upstate is like that, but it is a prevalent stereotype. :-)
XD Okay, I have to say that's funny. I wasn't aware of that but I can see it now.

But there were some real honest cultists. You should've seen the inside of an abandoned house I looked at years ago. It was alone at top of the hill outside of Watkins glen. The walls were covered in symbols and gruesome drawings of demons and such things, one room had this large weird clock-like diagram on the floor.

Nasty stuff.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,177,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

I think that's mostly likely what has happened here. I know one was at least a nudist camp, and I wouldn't doubt that simply from that people gossiped about it until it became a satanic cult. Or it really is some sort of cult, though I seriously doubt it would be what people think of as "satanic".

Old 04-11-2011, 04:55 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I think that's mostly likely what has happened here. I know one was at least a nudist camp, and I wouldn't doubt that simply from that people gossiped about it until it became a satanic cult. Or it really is some sort of cult, though I seriously doubt it would be what people think of as "satanic".
No, really. I'm talking about an actual cult. :/

Old 04-12-2011, 06:15 PM

523 posts, read 552,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Helen, Georgia, USA

Town law requires buildings to have facades like old timey alpine villages. It was sort of odd, but it was cool too. I can't even imagine how the guy who came up with the idea sold it to the city.
I searched the town you mentioned on Google Maps, and I have to say, that looks like a neat little place. A cool idea to distinguish it from other towns. Hopefully I'll have the chance to pass by one day and check it out first hand.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,177,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
No, really. I'm talking about an actual cult. :/
I was just referring to the ones here near me.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:19 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,286,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1094 View Post
I searched the town you mentioned on Google Maps, and I have to say, that looks like a neat little place. A cool idea to distinguish it from other towns. Hopefully I'll have the chance to pass by one day and check it out first hand.

Helen is a good place to spend a day. But.. enjoy the wonderful outdoor activities... skip the "touristy" expensive stuff. October fest is a blast there, but the traffic is pretty bad during that month....

Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,559,913 times
Point Roberts Washington. It's completely cut off from the USA. It's like a little piece of 70's America in the lower pennisula of British Columbia. The school kids have to go through US and Canadian customs twice a day to get to school in Blaine. I felt weird using US money there even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.