U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state was the first to give women the right to vote?
Massachusetts, where the revolution began 0 0%
Virginia, the birthplace of the nation 0 0%
Illinios, Land of Lincoln, who freed the slaves 2 6.90%
Texas, don't mess with it 0 0%
Wyoming, home of Dick Cheney 25 86.21%
California, land of new ideas 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 8 days ago)

70,008 posts, read 60,539,184 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know my history. I'm waiting for a few more responses, then I'll post the links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:54 PM

OK, 13 votes, no more in the past few hours, so I'll cough up the answer.

bobsmith, you were right about New Jersey, but it was then rescinded. I learned something from this post. 12 people answered correctly, WYOMING!

Here is the wiki link, there are many more you can find if you do a google search.

History of women's suffrage in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Female voters became so objectionable to professional politicians, that in 1807 the law was revised to exclude them.
(Re: New Jersey)

coldwine, until the 19th amendment was passed, individual states could restrict women from voting, or not, as they saw fit.

Quote:
The first territorial legislature of the Wyoming Territory granted women suffrage in 1869. In 1890, Wyoming was admitted to the Union as the first state that allowed women to vote.
Colorado followed in 1893, Utah in 1895.

Interestingly, I just threw Illinois in because I used to live there. However, I learned that in 1913, Illinois granted women the right to vote in federal elections and for other offices not specified in the Illinois constitution. Illinois was the first state EAST of the Mississippi River to allow women to vote, before New York and Ohio, lol!

The 19th Amendment to the constitution, granting all US women the right to vote, was ratified in the summer of 1920. My grandmothers were both adult, married women when women got the right to vote, and they always voted.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:07 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,857,504 times
History is so interesting.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:12 PM

25,480 posts, read 11,576,081 times
Default Susan B. Anthony

Wow, this woman had courage. She acts on her beliefs. I never knew what she was known for, thanks katiana for bringing up this subject. I learned something new today.

Below is a snippet from: https://louisville.edu/womenscenter/suffrage-history

warning, whoever wrote this below does not believe in puncutaion other than commas, ,,,, and more commas...

SUSAN BROWNELL ANTHONY

(Adams, MA) Feb. 15, 1820 - March 13, 1906, Quaker, teacher temperance and abolition organizer, outstanding women's rights leader with sharp political instincts, met Elizabeth Cady Stanton 1850, took suffrage petitions door-to-door 1854, worked for emancipation but felt black men should not be given vote ahead of women, published The Revolution 1868-70, lectured for 6 years to pay off its $10,000 debt, advocated equal pay for equal work, encouraged women to form unions, "more than any other woman suffrage leader, she was the victim of masculine ridicule" including satirical cartoons and newspaper attacks, driving force behind National Woman Suffrage Association 1869-90, National American Woman Suffrage Association head 1892-1900, single-minded champion of federal amendment, called "The Invincible" and "The Napoleon of the woman's rights movement," active in state campaigns from Kansas 1867 to California 1896, spoke across country form 30 years, voted in 1872 election, arrested and convicted but won popular support, led Centennial protest 1876, recruited Carrie Catt and Anna Shaw to suffrage, lived with sister Mary in Rochester, NY, became internationally respected symbol of woman's movement, "She has a broad and generous nature, and a depth of tenderness that few women possess"(Elizabeth Cady Stanton).

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/image_mini.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-07-2008, 07:25 PM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,457,266 times
First Woman to Vote - Claimants
Looks like it was New Jersey. I found the information on the website above interesting.
Indian women were allowed to vote before the states were formed. That wasn't your question though. NJ is not on your poll.

There are several links to click on too. I found the timelines especially interesting.

I agree this was a very good question.

Last edited by NCN; 11-07-2008 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: I had stated some facts, but decided to just let you read it yourself.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
First Woman to Vote - Claimants
Looks like it was New Jersey. I found the information on the website above interesting.
Indian women were allowed to vote before the states were formed. That wasn't your question though. NJ is not on your poll.
Wyoming had the first woman to vote after the 19th amendment.
If you read my post, you will see that NJ later rescinded that right, in 1807.

Wyoming has had the longest continous length of women voting. The Wyoming territorial legislature gave women the right to vote in 1869; when it was admitted to the union in 1890, it was the only state at the time allowing women to vote. The 19th amendment gave all women the right to vote, and was passed in 1920.

I did not know about the NJ voting until after I posted that poll, most sources credit Wyoming.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:06 PM

134 posts, read 34,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you read my post, you will see that NJ later rescinded that right, in 1807.

Wyoming has had the longest continous length of women voting. The Wyoming territorial legislature gave women the right to vote in 1869; when it was admitted to the union in 1890, it was the only state at the time allowing women to vote. The 19th amendment gave all women the right to vote, and was passed in 1920.

I did not know about the NJ voting until after I posted that poll, most sources credit Wyoming.
Whether it was rescinded or not, NJ was still the first state to give women the right to vote, having I believe universal suffrage. So taking your questin literally, it would be New Jersey.

Also, while Susan B. Anthony is an inspiration, I believe Emma Goldman was far more interesting.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:45 PM

7,728 posts, read 8,895,571 times
Wyoming.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 PM

357 posts, read 1,172,609 times
Not only was Wyoming the first to give women the right to vote, but...
First woman on a jury (Laramie, 1870)
First female court baliff (Laramie, 1870)
First female justice of the peace (South Pass City, 1870)
First female governor (1925)

Not to mention the first national park (Yellowstone), first national monument (Devils Tower), and first national forest (Shoshone).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.