U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 04:25 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,995,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
Ironically, I've been to Florida, and I loved it.

I guess I was able to overlook the insects and thunderstorms...
That's funny. Well, admittedly, I was 'assuming' that spiders were an issue there. (I've certainly heard about their big cockroaches! THOSE are what I hate the most!)

How are you with mosquitos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,062,484 times
Anywhere's in the desert southwest (Phoenix, etc.) has a lot of poisonous animals like snakes, scorpions, and crazy lizards, but they don't have many storms. Anyplace in the southeast is bound to have lots of pop up storms and insects and spiders.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:33 PM

6,867 posts, read 12,818,582 times
There really isn't an entire state that I would have to avoid. I think I could find a nice place anywhere in the United States. I'm more likely to avoid living somewhere overseas like certain countries in Africa and Asia

Old 11-07-2008, 05:13 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Quote:
Ironically, I've been to Florida, and I loved it.

I guess I was able to overlook the insects and thunderstorms...
Stay far away from the south and Midwest, also maybe East Coast.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:54 PM

83 posts, read 269,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
That's funny. Well, admittedly, I was 'assuming' that spiders were an issue there. (I've certainly heard about their big cockroaches! THOSE are what I hate the most!)

How are you with mosquitos?
Mosquitos don't bother me.

The spiders were bad in Florida, but the nice weather and the beautiful places and tourists locations, were so nice, I didn't really mind.

The lovebugs were pretty bad though.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:58 PM

32,442 posts, read 17,775,487 times
Quote:
I would never want to live someone with awful thunderstorms or tornadoes, hate places with tons of dogs, and I am absolutely terrified of spiders, and we only get small and non-poisonous ones here...

So what would be the worst state for me?
Stay in the house a lot, do ya? Oklahoma is not for you. But then, I think you already know that.

Thunderstorms are not awful, they are exhilarating and and an awesome display of nature's power. Tornadoes are pretty much tracked via every news channel around here, so there is little chance of being surprised by one.

As for spiders, dogs, and other phobias, you are in for a long harrowing life, because they are pretty much everywhere other than the antarctic.

Seriously, have you considered some psychotherapy?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:08 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
I would never want to live someone with awful thunderstorms or tornadoes, hate places with tons of dogs, and I am absolutely terrified of spiders, and we only get small and non-poisonous ones here...

So what would be the worst state for me?
Yeh, you wouldn't do well here in the good 'ol South-Central, my Brother. Stay away from Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma....won't do you any good.

We got Dawgs = good (mostly hunting dogs which are really cool).
We got Twisters = bad.
We got these things called Fiddlebacks = worse than really bad.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:46 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,125,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yeh, you wouldn't do well here in the good 'ol South-Central, my Brother. Stay away from Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma....won't do you any good.

We got Dawgs = good (mostly hunting dogs which are really cool).
We got Twisters = bad.
We got these things called Fiddlebacks = worse than really bad.
You tryin' to scare them yankees away from us, ol' buddy? That ain't exactly good ol' "western South" hospitality!

*AHEM* Seriously, as to the original question? No doubt that the Northeast would be the "worst." Followed by California...and other Pacific states. As a Texan/Southerner I would be a fish (catfish) out of water. Honestly feel like I was in a foreign country...

I don't think I would feel much at home in the "true West" either. Yeah, I know Texas is sometimes (by way of those old Hollywood "westerns") often thought of "West". But it really isn't. Neither culturally nor historically, is there a kinship with the Rocky Mountain nor "Southwestern" (i.e. New Mexico and Arizona) states.

As an aside here...certainly granting that personal opinion is not fact, my g/f is what she considers herself to be a true "westerner" (Colorado) and thinks Texas is Southern, not western. I agree.

Closer to home? Welllll, some of the Plains States (Kansas, Nebraska) have a certain affinity...but I really wouldn't be at home in them. They don't say "y'all" or "coke" for one thang...

Bottom line is? At least IMHO? The states I am at "home" in are those considered the "Western South". Basically, Texas, Arkansas, most of Oklahoma, and Louisiana. Next? The southeastern states.

The real dividing line is the Black-eyed pea line. That is to say. If eating black-eyed peas on New Years Day is not an established custom? Then I don't belong there. And I doubt they would want me there neither...! If I CAN find 'em...then by gawd, I am at HOME!

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-07-2008 at 11:03 PM..

Old 11-08-2008, 07:33 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
You tryin' to scare them yankees away from us, ol' buddy? That ain't exactly good ol' "western South" hospitality!

*AHEM* Seriously, as to the original question? No doubt that the Northeast would be the "worst." Followed by California...and other Pacific states. As a Texan/Southerner I would be a fish (catfish) out of water. Honestly feel like I was in a foreign country...

I don't think I would feel much at home in the "true West" either. Yeah, I know Texas is sometimes (by way of those old Hollywood "westerns") often thought of "West". But it really isn't. Neither culturally nor historically, is there a kinship with the Rocky Mountain nor "Southwestern" (i.e. New Mexico and Arizona) states.

As an aside here...certainly granting that personal opinion is not fact, my g/f is what she considers herself to be a true "westerner" (Colorado) and thinks Texas is Southern, not western. I agree.

Closer to home? Welllll, some of the Plains States (Kansas, Nebraska) have a certain affinity...but I really wouldn't be at home in them. They don't say "y'all" or "coke" for one thang...

Bottom line is? At least IMHO? The states I am at "home" in are those considered the "Western South". Basically, Texas, Arkansas, most of Oklahoma, and Louisiana. Next? The southeastern states.

The real dividing line is the Black-eyed pea line. That is to say. If eating black-eyed peas on New Years Day is not an established custom? Then I don't belong there. And I doubt they would want me there neither...! If I CAN find 'em...then by gawd, I am at HOME!
>>>>>
You tryin' to scare them yankees away from us, ol' buddy?
<<<<<

LOL, you know it Brother!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:38 PM

3,685 posts, read 8,782,260 times
I'd have to say probably Nebraska/Kansas first, then Alabama/Arkansas second.

Nebraska & Kansas are so landlocked and flat (relatively speaking--I know there are hills/mtns) and socially, pretty freakin' conservative.

Alabama and Arkansas would be very similar socially (conservative), plus culturally lacking.

As for weather, Kansas/Nebraska would rank up there too as a thunderstorm/tornado haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or