U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 39,240 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move from Orange County, CA.... but I need some ideas!!!

Specifically, I'm looking for a place that has strict non-smoking laws (i.e., no smoking in restaurants, bars, offices). Ideally, I'd like to find a region that is within a half hour of the beach and I'm definitely open to the east coast. I'm trying to avoid snow, so any bright, sunny regions are perfect.

I'm thinking the Carolinas, Georgia or Florida.... Any insight on these places?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 05:22 PM

989 posts, read 5,420,425 times
What's wrong with Orange County?--Too expensive?--Too many illegals for your liking?

Old 02-21-2007, 06:03 PM

I'm looking to make a fresh start and I'm also wanting to move to a place where the people have a little more substance. I'm interested in people who are well educated, interesting, sober, capable of (and interested in) having intelligent conversation, etc.

;-)

Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM

450 posts, read 1,717,437 times
I'm with you on the no-smoking, as cigarette smoke (tobacco to be specific) is my worst allergy.

Carolina -- forget it. It's the heart of tobacco country.

Georgia, Florida, Idaho, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Nevada have non-smoking laws that cover most restaurants and attached bars, but not stand-alone bars.

Washington, Colorado, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Arizona, and Utah are some of the notable states with full non-smoking laws.

Virtually all of Canada is smoke-free, if that interests you.

Some of the smokier places include Illinois (they are trying to change this, but it's been slow), North Carolina, South Carolina, Wyoming, parts of Texas, New Mexico, Kansas, Virginia, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Some of these states actually have laws banning cities from having local smoking bans.

Hope this helps.... PM me if you want more information. I spend a lot of time researching this stuff myself!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM

1,020 posts, read 3,068,137 times
I can fully understand your sentiment about leaving LA. But the smoking thing sounds a little uncalled for. Most resteraunts dont allow smoking anyways and most people dont smoke in resteraunts anymore. I havent see a smoking resteraunt in a long time. But strictly enforcing it outside of that sounds tryannus. That a conscious descision the indivual should make.

Anyway what about Portland? Good economy, cool summers, you wont burn up in the sun, dont need much AC, good paying jobs, lots of natural enviroment for recreational use, near the ocean. Close to Seattle's raging economy and ambitious architecture.

What about Boise Idaho also? Slower pace of life. More outdoors and wildlife. Mountains, rivers, lakes, deserts, sand dunes decent paying jobs, decent growth. Some high tech and laboress jobs. Probably friendly people if you are staying and not turning around leaving soon after you get there.

What about Salt Lake City? Mountains, wild life, hiking, all the ammenities of anywhere else, four seasons. Bryce Canyon and Zion park nearby. Probably good schools in some areas. Good economy exct.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:35 PM

Sorry Pines... I didn't mean to indicate that I wanted a region where smoking was outlawed; just where non-smoking laws were strictly enforced (i.e., there are even beaches here where smoking is prohibited). Although, I'd certainly LOVE it if smoking were outlawed... ;-)

Thanks for your ideas.... You mentioned a few that I hadn't even considered, so I'll look into those as well!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 PM

450 posts, read 1,717,437 times
Portland, just so you know, is in a pre-emption state. Restaurants with bars can allow smoking in all but six or seven Oregon cities that had previously passed laws before the pre-emption bill passed.

Don't ever apologize for wanting smoke-free laws. Personally, I would never give up my freedom to go to bars and restaurants, and nobody has any right to tell me that's right or wrong -- to me, it's the number one thing I look for in a city. Anyone who doesn't understand, basically, you have to ignore and stay away from them -- they don't understand the serious health issues involved.

I have lived with smoknig bans in California and without them -- in the places without them, I was forced to stay home every night as there was no place I could find that was non-smoking. Perhaps it's changed in five years, but at that time, virtually every restaurant allowed smoking at the bar, and when you're allergic to it, even small amounts cause illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or