U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 08:20 PM

161 posts, read 556,343 times

Advertisements

Obviously, there are some big, diverse state capital cities out there that are known for much more than being a state capital, such as Atlanta, Austin, Phoenix, Denver, Boston, Nashville, and Honolulu.

But I am curious, what is it like living in a small state capital that most people don't know anything else about? I am talking about cities like Augusta, Montpelier, Dover, Frankfurt, Jefferson City, Carson City, Helena, Pierre, Juneau etc...

Does almost everyone seem to work for the government? Do others just assume you do since you live there? Is there much interaction between government and non-government workers? Does the city seem dead when congress is not in session?

Just thought I'd get a little insight on what it is like to live in a state's capital city. I never have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 02:42 PM

25,583 posts, read 31,831,769 times
I love in Pierre. I have been here for 9 years. I have a goverment job at the state level. Yes there is a fair amount of socalization between goverment and non government employees.

In Pierre we are right along the Missouri River hunting and fishing are big activities here. Shopping is not the greatest. School sports are popular with those who have kids in school and in these activities. The nice thing about Pierre is its a 3 hour drive to anywhere in the state. 6 to 7 hours to drive to the twin cities, 6 hours to Omaha.

Pierre seems to have it cliques that can take some getting used to. In Pierre there is always something going on. There are also several associations here that lobby and operate here.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:44 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post

But I am curious, what is it like living in a small state capital that most people don't know anything else about? I am talking about cities like Augusta, Montpelier, Dover, Frankfurt, Jefferson City, Carson City, Helena, Pierre, Juneau etc...
Poor Frankfort. So forgotten and forlorn, people who don't know anything else about it, don't even spell it's name right.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,152,784 times
Trenton is a not-so-nice but small state capital. It is the only state capital located on a state boundary. It was a bustling little industrial city, but like most industrial cities, the industry left and poverty escalated. Today there are a couple of nice historic rowhouse neighborhoods and lots of ghetto, with state office buildings in the middle. There is a great little Italian neighborhood called Chambersburg, though the Italians have mostly left the neighborhood for the suburbs. There are probably more Ecuadoran or Chinese restaurants there than Italian restaurants these days.

My favorite Trenton landmark is the "Trenton Makes" Bridge:

New Jersey State House:

Pics of Trenton:
Photo tour of Trenton, showing the good, the bad, and the very ugly of this little capital city.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:35 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
I love in Pierre. I have been here for 9 years. I have a goverment job at the state level. Yes there is a fair amount of socalization between goverment and non government employees.
La Minestra, in Pierre, might be the best restaurant I have ever eaten at in the United States, And very affordable.

-----------------

Tallahassee is bigger than the others, but has a very nice small-town feel to it.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,332,997 times
Harrisburg only has 50,000 residents and is dwarfed by the two primary cities in our state. It's amazing the number of folks in our nation who think Philadelphia is the capital of Pennsylvania!

Old 11-12-2008, 10:26 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,102,893 times
sending love from the Renaissance city, Providence! Yes its the largest city in RI, but everyone in New England considers Pvd a satellite city of Greater Boston. But its more than that, its a beautiful city with full of charm, history and culture. The people here are friendly, very liberal and artsy. And with the Renaissance movement going on providence has come along way from what it was 15 years ago.

But to answer some of your questions.....Many people do work for the state but we are also big on education, manufacturing and healthcare industries. Also, providence is a vibrant town year round.

As far Albany (where my bf is from) thats a town where everybody works for the State and a fairly dead downtown outside of work hours. Not a bad city but just not one of my favorites.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:55 PM

25,583 posts, read 31,831,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
La Minestra, in Pierre, might be the best restaurant I have ever eaten at in the United States, And very affordable.

-----------------

Tallahassee is bigger than the others, but has a very nice small-town feel to it.
I have witnessed some of the worst service there before. They have an excellent lunch menu.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:01 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,321,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Harrisburg only has 50,000 residents and is dwarfed by the two primary cities in our state. It's amazing the number of folks in our nation who think Philadelphia is the capital of Pennsylvania!
Harrisburg may only have 50 k in city limits, but its metro is 500-600k

my town has more people in its limits than Harrisburg, but WAY less in its metro compared to Harrisburg

Old 11-12-2008, 04:24 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,332,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Harrisburg may only have 50 k in city limits, but its metro is 500-600k

my town has more people in its limits than Harrisburg, but WAY less in its metro compared to Harrisburg
Yes. Urban sprawl is the way of life in Harrisburg, hence the terrible congestion at rush hour between York and Harrisburg on I-83 and along I-81 through the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.