U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think living in a big city can make you a bad or mean person?
Yea 18 30.00%
Nay 42 70.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:07 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,756,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
From my personal experiences, it has never been false. The coldest/meanest/rudest people I have ever met were the residents of Detroit, a city with a population of over 900,000 people.
...and in all likelihood, at least some of those people had the city block that their house in on to themselves. Its like an urban farmstead, sans cows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,336,486 times
Like someone else said, there are just too many people to acknowledge. But I've always found that people in a big city are quick to help you out if you are lost or if you strike up a conversation they will contribute. People in big cities aren't necessarily as rude as they are busy.

I live in a small town and I've had better encounters with strangers in big cities than I have here. Just my two cents though...

Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,189,072 times
Of course not.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:32 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,827,645 times
Theres mean and bad people everywhere. Theres good people in big cities and theres bad people in rural and suburban areas, just as theres bad people in cities and good people in rural and suburban areas.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,936,915 times
Living in a big city tends to make people more impatient (with the biggest city, New York, being the most impatient of all). Some people in smaller cities misinterpret this impatience at meanness, but they're really two different things.

Now get out of my way, I have to catch a train.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,451,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I went ahead and marked 'yes' because if you reside in an area of the city where you don't 'fit in', or live amongst violence (especially if you weren't raised in that environment), then you could become very bitter. When I lived in Texas back in the 70's (Austin, which was not a big city, really) I experienced this very thing. For many reasons I did not "fit in", and found that I began to hate 'Texans' in general, which was not right. But I did the right thing a few years later, moved away from Texas, and have never looked back.

Big city living isn't for everybody.
Austin was not a big city at all back then and really isn't one now. It's mid-sized. Regardless, I don't see what the scenario you describe has to do with living in a big city. You can live anywhere and not fit in and become embittered towards your surroundings.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:02 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,002,321 times
I thought this was a really interesting thread! I too live in NYC and think that the answer is not so black and white. I think there is a certain "rough around the edges" thing that people in big city do have. You have to or you will be swallowed whole. I'm very nice to people who are nice to me, but if I feel even in the slightest that I'm being taken advantage of our being spoken down to, I immediately go to the other side. Some people here are just mean all the time. That is just being miserable and life is much too short for that! I can't waste that much energy and it takes a lot more to be mean than nice. I do know though, that people from other places really think that this city is full of MEANERS (as my son calls it).

I once took a lady to the airport, whose train got rerouted and really there was no way for her to get there without missing the flight and it was thanksgiving, blah, blah, blah. She asked for directions and I explained the horrid process to her (there were no taxes, it was pouring outside). I offered her a ride - she thought I was the best thing since sliced bread. She even called home to tell her mom "I'm getting a ride to the airport from a real NYer" - LOL - she worked for Def Jam Records and sent my kids a bunch of cd's (they loved them). She went through a lot to get my address at work. We had exchanged emails and she actually looked my company up that way and send me the cd's without my knowledge. She was sweet and I'm glad I got her home to her family. Goodness, that was a long story, sorry! The point is - there are some very nice people here in the city, I run into them everyday!

Old 03-12-2009, 02:37 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,627,844 times
A place doesn't make somebody mean. Naturally being a douchebag does. There are no more mean people in big cities as there are in small towns.
Though you do every once in a while come across the small towner trying to fit into a big city by trying to come off mean since they think its the norm there.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:00 PM

668 posts, read 1,904,605 times
Unfortunately, living in a "big city" entails more crime and a faster pace than a lot of people would like, but, most are trapped and cant escape the big city, because it takes so much to move elsewhere. When you take into account the hustle and bustle and traffic jams and honking horns and noise pollution and light pollution and just pollution in general, its not a healthy thing to live in a big city. You have traffic congestion, people congestion, and animals who shouldnt even BE in a big city have to scavenge and fend for themselves and be a nuisance for people in general.

No, I would not to live in a big city, even though, there is always something to do there, I am strickly a small townie person. Even a city like Pittsburgh Pa, to which I am only 40 miles away and have to travel to on infrequent occasions, I have a great distaste in going there because there are too many large buildings and its too sprawled out for my taste.

May those who love the big city, live there, and those who dont, either move out of stay out LOL!

May the LORD Bless each of you.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,040,720 times
If you get enough of your possession stolen or vandalized. Have people treat you like crap for no special reason. Talk to you like your a piece of dirt or rodent of some kind. Soon your attitude and way that you treat people will be affected just to keep you from being the first to get hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or