U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM

345 posts, read 384,388 times

Advertisements

I have lived in many places across the USA, but I put a few above all others for a variety of reasons (they all share one commonality - they are not too big, and range in size from small to moderate). I really do like visiting big cities, but I find I can no longer tolerate living in them 24/7 - I think age has a lot to do with it, although I've known seniors who love living in NYC/LA/Atlanta/Philadelphia/Miami and will not leave as long as they draw a breath.

Here's my partial list:

CA: Santa Barbara, So.Pasadena, Santa Ynez, Carmel Valley, Big Sur

AZ: Prescott, Jerome, Bisbee,

PA and/or NJ: New Hope/Lambertville, Doylestown

NYS: New Paltz, Woodstock, Ithaca, Hudson

FL: Coral Gables

Caveat: Many years have slipped by since I resided in/near some of these places, so things may well have shifted toward the negative, and other choices may have eclipsed these picks. I know Coral Gables has some beautiful architecture, locations, wonderful variety of food and culture - but on my last visit the traffic and growth was stifling.

So, what are some of your picks and why?

Last edited by Ria Rhodes; 11-09-2008 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
I have lived in lots of places across the USA, but I put a few above all others for a variety of reasons (they all share one commonality - they are not too big, and range in size from small to moderate). I really do like visiting big cities, but I find I can no longer tolerate living in them 24/7 - I think age has a lot to do with it, although I've known seniors who love living in NYC/LA/Atlanta/Philadelphia/Miami and will not leave as long as they draw a breath.

Here's my partial list:

CA: Santa Barbara, So.Pasadena, Santa Ynez, Carmel Valley, Big Sur

AZ: Prescott, Jerome, Bisbee,

PA and/or NJ: New Hope/Lambertville, Doylestown

NYS: New Paltz, Woodstock, Ithaca, Hudson

FL: Coral Gables

MA: Stockbridge, Lenox

Caveat: Many years have slipped by since I resided in/near some of these places, so things may well have shifted toward the negative, and other choices may have eclipsed these picks. I know Coral Gables has some beautiful architecture, locations, wonderful variety of food and culture - but on my last visit the traffic and growth was stifling.
What are some of your favorite places in the States?

Old 11-09-2008, 03:42 PM

821 posts, read 832,157 times
PA: WestChester
NY: Montauk, Long Island

Old 11-09-2008, 03:46 PM

6,867 posts, read 12,820,089 times
I love Huntsville, TX

I went to college there and enjoyed my 4 years there. They have a great state park where I would go hiking and biking. The people living there were always friendly. There is a prison there but it's a major employer for the people living there. I always felt safe there because I think the with the prison being there it made for a good reminder to the people there to stay out of trouble. Also if someone would escape from the prison i'm sure they would get as far out of town as possible instead of hanging around there.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:52 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,579,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
What are some of your favorite places in the States?
Not only did you just ask yourself, but you did so after answering.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:26 PM

821 posts, read 832,157 times
Santa Cruz

Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 PM

638 posts, read 1,958,085 times
I love Santa Fe, NM. Its an awesome place and it almost feels like you are in another country when you are there. Im not sure what I would do with myself if I lived there, but boy, it is a great long weekend escape. Truely a beautiful part of the world. They have worked very hard at not becoming too touristy, which I like.

I also enjoyed Kingsport / Johnson City area of Tennessee. The Smokey Mountains are nice in the fall.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Not only did you just ask yourself, but you did so after answering.
Sorry. I suppose I should be lashed and thrown to the lions. I forgot Lenox & Stockbridge, MA in my OP, so I added to repost. You might consider job as a policeman/moderator.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
I love Santa Fe, NM. Its an awesome place and it almost feels like you are in another country when you are there. Im not sure what I would do with myself if I lived there, but boy, it is a great long weekend escape. Truely a beautiful part of the world. They have worked very hard at not becoming too touristy, which I like..
MR77, living now in Arizona and I like visiting SF too. Acquaintances who live in SF tell me it's very different living there and visiting there (but that's true for most places - right?). It's a really good foodie town. On your next SF visit try Santacafe on Washington Avenue and Marie's (good Mexican food - big portions/local favorite/reasonable prices) on Cordova (near the Whole Foods Market). SF on the Xmas holidays is special, good parties/cheer along gallery row with lots of locals on parade.

If anyone reading this is in the Catskills of NYS, or the Central Coast of CA checkout these restaurant favorites (reasonable prices):

CA: Big Sky Cafe (Broad Street) in San Luis Obispo

NYS: New World Cuisine in Saugerties (about eight miles outside Woodstock)

Last edited by Ria Rhodes; 11-10-2008 at 07:06 AM..

Old 11-10-2008, 01:24 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,728,803 times
Juneau, AK
Charleston, SC
Springfield, MO
Durango, CO (although I haven't been in quite a few years and don't know if it has changed)

These are all visits rather than living there for a significant amount of time. What is nice to visit may not necessarily be nice to live in, and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or