U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 PM

14 posts, read 24,569 times

Advertisements

alrite, well me and a few of the lads have decided we mite go to usa for the summer next year.

what i want to know is, what would be the best place to go to in terms of class weather, good banter, and cheap.

i was thinking of santa cruz in california but dont know, and also tempted to experience new york cause id say its class during summer, went in winter and was sooooooooo cold so just stayed in the hotel all day watching tv.

also do ye reckon the euro will continue to absolutely PWN in the dollar? prob not worth goin if it didn't.

cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 02:11 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,807,288 times
Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Diego would probably be a good place for you and your friends to visit. I've never been but I would love to someday. I've heard great things about each of those cities when it comes to weather and Los Angeles and San Francisco have lots of things to do to keep you entertained. I'm sure San Diego does too.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:16 PM

thanks mate.

isn't san francisco a bit cold tho? well ok im irish so maby not cold for me, but its fairly windy and can get bitter even during summer i hear.. isn't there some quote mark twain, like the ''coldest summer i ever experienced was one in san francisco''...something like that anyway, not sure.lol

ive heard that its such a great city tho, my parents went during the summer and said it was very good.

san diego definetly seems a good spot.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:53 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,653,153 times
Are you just planning to go to one city or are you planning to travel around the U.S.?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:54 PM

821 posts, read 830,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorlewandowski17 View Post
thanks mate.

isn't san francisco a bit cold tho? well ok im irish so maby not cold for me, but its fairly windy and can get bitter even during summer i hear.. isn't there some quote mark twain, like the ''coldest summer i ever experienced was one in san francisco''...something like that anyway, not sure.lol

ive heard that its such a great city tho, my parents went during the summer and said it was very good.

san diego definetly seems a good spot.
Mark Twain came from America's South which is very hot!So San Francisco would seem very cold to him.
I'd definately recomend San Francisco. Maybe even Boston or Washington DC. I love the summer in NY though, nothing like it!

Old 11-09-2008, 02:55 PM

well initially just one place but id say we might do a bit of travelling but nothing much. that(travelling through usa) mite come some other time.

edit: cheers joe bama. hah yeah point taken about san francisco.

ah theres so much things to do and so little time to do it...wont be young too much longer..need to go north america and experience it, cause ive never been but i have been to south america.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 PM

If you want the American experience, and you can afford it, a Cubs vs. Cardinals game at Wrigley should be a blast. Sit down and eat a hotodg, drink an $8 beer, and watch a great rivalry. Of course, it's great to see them play in St. Louis, or the Red Sox and Yankees in Boston or New York.

Are you guys planning on attending sporting events? Or just hanging out on the beach somewhere?

Not sure if this helps, 5 Irish guys taking a US Road Trip. (Language Warning)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvVFlqi1VDk

Old 11-09-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Mark Twain came from America's South which is very hot!So San Francisco would seem very cold to him.
I'd definately recomend San Francisco. Maybe even Boston or Washington DC. I love the summer in NY though, nothing like it!
Mark Twain is from Northeastern Missouri actually. I believe he also worked in NY, Philly, Cincinnati, and St. Louis.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,187,251 times
If you're going to be here for the summer only, I'd suggest looking at northern cities unless you can live with tropical and or desert temperatures for three months. Places like Florida and Georgia and east Texas have very warm, very humid summers (temps routinely reach 35C and the humidity drips off of you) that can be difficult to bear after a while if you're not used to it. Southwest cities routinely exceed 40C but at least the humidity is nonexistent.

IMO the best combination of weather and a unique urban American experience for the buck would be either Chicago or Philadelphia. Other options that will be cheaper but maybe not as exciting would be Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul (aka "Twin Cities"), Denver, and Seattle. If you've already done New York, Philly might seem too similar to make it worth your while. Other places that have been suggested either by you or by others (New York, Los Angeles, Santa Cruz, San Diego, San Francisco) are pretty much the most expensive places in the States. If you want your euro to go further, you might consider other options.

Last edited by Drover; 11-09-2008 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
If you want the American experience, and you can afford it, a Cubs vs. Cardinals game at Wrigley should be a blast. Sit down and eat a hotodg, drink an $8 beer, and watch a great rivalry. Of course, it's great to see them play in St. Louis, or the Red Sox and Yankees in Boston or New York.

Are you guys planning on attending sporting events? Or just hanging out on the beach somewhere?
well the beach would probably be a focal part of the trip, but definetly not just goin to sit around the beach doing nothing(we did this in spain for basically the whole summer last year )

ehone of my mates loves baseball. dont know where the love came from, its never on tv here but would definetly love to experience a game.

id say we'll try get to watch a san jose earthquakes match if do end up going near there.

edit: lads your too helpful, i have to keep saying thanks all the time . Drover great info there.

now i'm goin to have to take some notes with all this advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.