U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Ever Move To Staten Island ?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 36 57.14%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:19 AM

32,322 posts, read 55,131,075 times

Advertisements

I dont know. I only went there like twice the whole time I lived in NYC. The parts of it I saw seemed nice enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 10:30 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,517,457 times
I don't think the poll asks a fair question by making it strictly yes or no. That is to say, it would depend on the circumstances. But all things being equal, I would not consider moving to Staten Island--because I happen to be perfectly happy in my native borough of Brooklyn.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,632 times
If you live on SI you get a 50% discount off the toll and the toll is charged only one way. It is free to go back to Brooklyn. Now, if you have a five day commute and the toll is $11 then for a resident of Staten Island it would only be $5.50 a day, that is $27.50 per week + gas. Also there are some of the best public schools in the city such as Tottenville High School, P.S.-5-Huguenot, P.S. 48 William C Wilcox elementary schools , low property taxes compare to New Jersey, Long Island or Upstate New York, low crime rate, lots of parks, beaches, and most affordable real estate. There is not a single neighborhood in the entire city of NY that has a Public Middle School with a rating of 7 or 8 out of ten where you could buy a single family home under $300!!!. There are many bus routes available on the island as well as express busses to the city and Brooklyn. Yes the Ferry takes 25 minutes, but it is a very enjoyable and magnificent ride with a poetic view of Manhattan, Stature of Liberty, Verrazano, Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. Unfortunately majority of New Yorkers have no idea of what they are missing out on. People from across the globe come and take that ride to see the city with the eyes of the immigrants. The Fresh Kills Landfill is closed for almost 10 years now. It is undergoing a very promising transformation into a park. I have a lot of friends and family who live on Staten Island for different periods of time, but I do not know a single person who would have moved back to any other neighborhood of NYC. Yes, Staten Island is not perfect, but neither any other part of the city. Traffic congestion, transit delays, overbuilt streets are integral part of the life at the metropolis the size of New York City. In my opinion Staten Island is a Diamond in the rough and is highly underestimated. [/SIZE][/font]

Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,204,831 times
no, i'd rather live in Jersey

Old 07-11-2010, 02:03 AM

6,740 posts, read 6,546,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
no, i'd rather live in Jersey
To me Staten Island *is* New Jersey, regardless of what the maps or political boundaries may indicate

Old 07-11-2010, 07:10 AM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Thumbs up You can stretch your legs on Staten Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont know. I only went there like twice the whole time I lived in NYC. The parts of it I saw seemed nice enough.
Much of Staten Island is covered with suburban or semi-suburban neighborhoods. Many of them are quite wealthy like Todt Hill, Emerson Hill, Grymes Hill, etc. But not all of Staten Island is built up.

Staten Island is called the "Rural Borough" for a good reason. With almost 12,000 acres of parkland, about one third of the borough is parkland!

Staten Island's huge park system includes high hills, wild forests, lakes, hiking trails, freshwater streams etc. The Staten Island Greenbelt has over 2,800 acres in the center of the borough, the now CLOSED Fresh Kills landfill is going to add another 2,200 acres. There are State and Federal Parks, wildlife refugees and numerous other city parks, including new ones being developed even today.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,517,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I would because I think it's the best place to raise a family out of the 5 boroughs, and plus it's the least politically liberal borough in New York.
What a crazy poll to run in the General U.S. Forum. There are millions of people who have absolutely no idea how New York City is constituted politically. (Translation: they don't understand about the boroughs). And that doesn't even begin to say anything about the fact that Staten Island happens to be one of them--so if you wanted to raise a family outside the five boroughs, why would you set up your household in one of them?

Plus, blatantly shouting about your own political preferences is a hell of a way to attract responses. Good luck.

(As a native-born Brooklynite, I happen to think you're facing 180 degrees in the wrong direction. But that's probably just me).

Old 07-11-2010, 08:30 AM

2,650 posts, read 5,158,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
To me Staten Island *is* New Jersey, regardless of what the maps or political boundaries may indicate
No, Staten Island is a Brooklyn outpost. It has very, very little cultural connectivity to NJ.
It's always makes me chuckle to watch NY'ers try & pawn off SI on NJ. For better or worse, SI is your creation NYC.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
I would chose Jersey over SI

Old 07-17-2010, 06:11 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,596,560 times
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I lived there from Dec. 2005-Oct. 2008 I loved it there! Best part of NYC! By far IMO! I love it, and miss it dearly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or