U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,453,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Tripper View Post
Stay away from Phoenix, they say we have jobs galore, but are wrong. Myself, girlfriend and ALL of my friends lost there jobs due to bad economy or jobs going overseas. All of us worked for respectable jobs too. Does anyone know about other cities out west that are flowing with new jobs????
Oh, I know. Phoenix doesn't have any jobs. Even fast food places are getting many applications. Yet people keep moving to Phoenix to look for jobs. Not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,246,063 times
Pretty much anywhere in Texas is a good place, so is the Washington DC area.

Avoid Phoenix or Vegas at all costs. The only 'jobs' you will find there are minimum wage, burger-flipping jobs at like $8 an hour--even in 'good' days. Phoenix's economy is largely driven by low-wage, service industries. Sad but true. And dont even get me started on how many of the former 'real' jobs have been lost or outsourced. The Phoenix area now has among the highest unemployment rates in the country. Also sad, but true.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:16 PM

68 posts, read 169,494 times
Seattle? Denver? Chicago?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,171,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh7 View Post
Seattle? Denver? Chicago?
seattle - maybe
denver - no idea
chicago - no

now i hear texas is good (and everyone here aknowledges that)

Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
seattle - maybe
denver - no idea
chicago - no

now i hear texas is good (and everyone here aknowledges that)

I meant these cities are good for jobs. Especially in IT, Accounting, and other speciaizations.

ANd, yes Texas is great for jobs, but Houston is lame and Austin is running out of room

Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,171,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggh7 View Post
I meant these cities are good for jobs. Especially in IT, Accounting, and other speciaizations.

ANd, yes Texas is great for jobs, but Houston is lame and Austin is running out of room
if thats the case then yes your right. Well im not too familiar with denver but yes chicago and seattle are great for accounting and others. the only reasony why i said no for chicago was because of the unemployment rate.

and houston's not lame at leat not to me. But everyone has their opinion i guess

mas23

Last edited by mas23; 03-02-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
if thats the case then yes your right. Well im not too familiar with denver but yes chicago and seattle are great for accounting and others. the only reasony why i said no for chicago was because of the unemployment rate.

and houston's not lame at leat not to me. But everyone has their opinion i guess

mas23

You're right, i guess Houston is not that bad, i just dont prefer it. Anyway, i think anyone can probably make money anywhere they move. You just have to stay determined and live within your means (something a lot of people have a hard time with). Treat finding a job like a full time job and you're bound to find something anywhere you are.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM

161 posts, read 556,469 times
Billings, Montana
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Fargo, North Dakota
Bismarck, North Dakota
Lincoln, Nebraska

Of course, these places may be colder in winter than you desire!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 PM

156 posts, read 348,698 times
I suspect Houston is an oil driven state? Much like the province I live in, Alberta... When the price of oil was down to $40 and for the 6 months following did things really start hurting in Texas? Of coarse now things have turned around and they are seeing a much better economy?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:52 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,472,576 times
what about albuquerque or santa fe area? anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or