Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 AM

345 posts, read 466,876 times

Advertisements

Plunging home values, rising foreclosures, national debt skyrocketing, higher local taxes, rising grocery prices, Dow dropping toward 6000?, pension funds slashed, large corporations declaring bankruptcy, medical costs exploding, unemployment funds dwindling?

Hearken back to those golden days of pre-bubble housing and pre-economic implosion, back when greed was the norm and everyone had to have one or two shiny new gas hogs and spiffy kitchen remodel, back when a house was an ATM machine and no one thought twice about calling for take-out at the local waistline expanding restaurants.

Enjoy the memories. Suckers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Can I enjoy the day? House is holding steady, no sign of impending foreclosure, Pulled out of stocks a while ago, Pension fund is secure, Not involved in large corps., Medical costs here are steady, and covered by a cheap top of the line BCBS plan (compared to the last plan we had), Not unemployed and not going to be either - very steady jobs here.

Could be because I never bought into the whole new car every couple of years, never took out equity on ANY home I have owned, and can't stand take-out garbage. I drive them until they die, live in them until I need to move, and know how to run a stove. The last couple of years has seen my standard of living go up, while costs have gone down for me overall. Sure some things are higher, but overall I am spending 25% less than a year ago and making 50% more than a year ago. I will admit we are very lucky. Wish I could say it was skill and forethought, but that in our case is a smaller factor than choosing the right careers 20+ years ago, and knowing how to live within or below our means.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
dwk

18 posts, read 37,468 times
We're doing quite well here in Boston. Thanks though.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
Kudos to the those doing well without an inheritance and/or trust fund gift-y.
Who will swear they paid their own way through college? Who was mommy and daddy's expense paid free rider? Hope you do the same for your own free riders.
That would be me! No inheritance or trust fund, no hand-outs and any college I have taken I have paid for.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Kudos to the fortunate minority doing well in hard times, better yet make that:

Kudos to the those doing well without an inheritance and/or trust fund gift-y.
Who can say they paid their way through college? Who was mommy and daddy's free rider? Pre-holiday question: Do your parents give the doorman: 1) no xmas gift, 2) small stipend, 3) nice check, 4) no doorman, 5) we're Jewish, but we give the doorman a holiday gift basket from Zabar's

Old 11-12-2008, 02:27 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria Rhodes View Post
Plunging home values, rising foreclosures, national debt skyrocketing, higher local taxes, rising grocery prices, Dow dropping toward 6000?, pension funds slashed, large corporations declaring bankruptcy, medical costs exploding, unemployment funds dwindling?

Hearken back to those golden days of pre-bubble housing and pre-economic implosion, back when greed was the norm and everyone had to have one or two shiny new gas hogs and spiffy kitchen remodel, back when a house was an ATM machine and no one thought twice about calling for take-out at the local waistline expanding restaurants.

Enjoy the memories. Suckers.
And just what is it that you do for a living, since you're in such a lofty position to call everyone else suckers?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And just what is it that you do for a living, since you're in such a lofty position to call everyone else suckers?
Rather typical American big business, dog eat dog job where I toil away sacrificing my principles to help white collar opportunists at the top of the economic food chain misappropriate even more wealth to support their hedonistic habits (to include in several cases, cheating on their wives) - and you Spike Lee?

Note to the wise: don't pay provocateurs like me any mind

Last edited by Ria Rhodes; 11-12-2008 at 05:32 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Not to worry.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Interesting thread to say the least......... bad tone.............

Omaha's doing very well thanks, 3% unemployment here.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:18 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Interesting thread to say the least......... bad tone.............

Omaha's doing very well thanks, 3% unemployment here.
We're pushing 4.5% right now big boy and many, many layoffs are in the works.

2 I found out about within the last hour or so (ADT 380jobs, Lincoln Financial has varied estimates but some believe Omaha operations may close)

Many more than that and you can expect that percentage near 5-6% within 8 months, my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.