Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:00 AM

83 posts, read 299,824 times

Advertisements

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 04:49 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times
You have to be pretty damn poor to have never in your entire life step foot outside of the state that you live in.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
You have to be pretty damn poor to have never in your entire life step foot outside of the state that you live in.
Not really. Just not thinking you need to see anything else. I know people in their 60's and 70's that not only have never left their state, but have never left the County they were born into. Granted that is in Aroostook County, Maine and the County is 6600 square miles in area. But there it isn't unusual to find people of any age that have not traveled out of Maine. Finding people who have never been to the "Big City" of Bangor (35,000 population) that is 2 1/2 hours away is very common.

Not poor people, just people who have ZERO sense of travel and that there is more out there than they are used to. I have been told by many up there that it is all the same as "The County" so why bother driving several hours to see the same things.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
by the ignorance of other areas and cities posted on this board I bet many never left their hometown.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
My dad's brother is an interesting situation.

My uncle has traveled the country, mostly when he was younger, but he's gone a few places as a father. I think he's only flown once though. My aunt grew up in California and then moved to Iowa (where they all live). She finally left the state and visited her sister in Philly last year. It was her first plane ride and the first time she'd left the state in 40 years.

My 27 year old cousin has never traveled more than 110 miles from home (Iowa City to Des Moines), except for a random bus ride into a Cubs game when he was 7. Never once left the state (except the random trip he doesn't remember)! His older brother, 29, has only left the state 4 times to visit Chicago for a night and a Cubs game.

My parents and I have visited 47 states, and I've been to 27 countries, my parents to 14 countries.

There's no real reason for the huge difference. My Uncle's family just doesn't want to travel, they have no desire. My immediate family on the other hand obviously love to travel, and it's one of our passions.

My Uncle and his family are obviously more naive of the world and different cultures, but they're perfectly happy living in Iowa City and don't feel in any way they're missing anything. I don't think there's any reason to feel it's bad or wrong to have never left your state - if that's what you want.

We're all different. I'd personally go insane if I'd never left Iowa.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:32 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,288 times
As for the poor comment...Alot of people don't have the means to travel outside their state. So im hoping that they make the best of what is surrounding them. I was blessed as a child to go to several states growing up, and now i can say i've been to approx. 40+ states, and my children too, and by no way are we well off. We are as poor as they come, my husband is a truck driver, so we travel with him.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I've lived in North Carolina all my life(I'm 20), both my parents and their parents were born here as well, but both lived in other states. My dad's dad was in the army so he moved around the country alot.

Edit: I think I may have misinterpreted the OP's question. Anyways, yes I have been outside NC.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 11-11-2008 at 11:30 AM..

Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
It would be very difficult to never leave New Jersey. It's so tiny! I leave the state almost every day.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Not really. Just not thinking you need to see anything else. I know people in their 60's and 70's that not only have never left their state, but have never left the County they were born into. Granted that is in Aroostook County, Maine and the County is 6600 square miles in area. But there it isn't unusual to find people of any age that have not traveled out of Maine. Finding people who have never been to the "Big City" of Bangor (35,000 population) that is 2 1/2 hours away is very common.

Not poor people, just people who have ZERO sense of travel and that there is more out there than they are used to. I have been told by many up there that it is all the same as "The County" so why bother driving several hours to see the same things.
That isn't that unusual among older people in outstate Minnesota, either. Replace Bangor for Mankato, and Aroostook for Blue Earth and you have my friend's mother.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:21 PM

83 posts, read 299,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
It would be very difficult to never leave New Jersey. It's so tiny! I leave the state almost every day.
I wonder if there's anyone who has never left Delaware, Connecticut or Rhode Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.