Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 12:00 PM

32 posts, read 78,406 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

This may sound more like a dream than an actual plan ... but maybe you have some advice for us ..
My wife and I ( 21 and 25 ) are planning to move within the next year. I am a medically retired veteran that spend most of his life overseas and she is a german/turkish girl that I brought over here. She is a college student and I intend on using my G.I. Bill as soon as possible.
For now, our only income is Veterans benefits ( 1000 / month ) and SOcial Security Benefits ( 961 / month ) so were not wealthy by any means.
Neither of us have seen much of the U.S. but we are sick and tired of the Mid-West. I am originally from Illinois and we are currently living in St.Louis,MIssouri and cant wait to get out of this crime and drug infested city.
The ideal place would be fairly close (up to 1 hour drive) to the beach, affordable houses ( up to 100.000 ) and colleges and universities nearby.
Were not planning on having kids but we do want to buy a small house with my VA loan instead of "wasting" money on rent ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 03:00 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
Gulf Coast of Texas, perhaps Houston. There is Rice, UH, UT, A&M and several other colleges very close. Texas beaches aren't that great, but at least its a beach, and the further South down the coast you go, the better.

Housing is also inexpensive.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:06 PM

808 posts, read 3,648,078 times
What sort of college are you looking for?

Corpus Christi might be a good choice for you. Low cost of living, the beach is right there, and the university is located on its own island. Texas A&M - Corpus Christi isn't Harvard, but it's a decent education at a good price, and some programs are actually quite good!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikey08 View Post
I am originally from Illinois and we are currently living in St.Louis,MIssouri and cant wait to get out of this crime and drug infested city.
Most any city you go to, especially large ones, will be "drug-infested" and "crime-ridden" in some areas. You can't completely escape crime no matter where you go.

And it will be very hard to find a house near a beach for $100,000, unless you plan on living in a high crime area, or if you buy a shell of a house and fix it up yourself (even that would be a stretch to do for $100,000).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.