U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 04:43 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times

Advertisements

I was born a Texan, I'll die a Texan. And I'll defend this state just like the guys at the Alamo. (I bet you expected me to say something like that didn't you?) Texas ain't perfect and the weather here can change on a dime, but I can name problems with any state in this country. But I don't do that because I have respect for every state. No state is perfect, and the only reason why people complain about where they are is because: (1. they miss where they're originally from. (2. the place doesn't live up to what they want. or (3. some kind of combonation of the two.

I get fired up whenever anyone talks down the Lone Star state. But it's my home and everyone who loves there home should defend it. Personally, talking about my home is just about the same as disrespecting my mom. I'll leave you with two thoughts..............

As an American:
We all have to stick together and respect eachother's home turf.

As a Texan:
(all together now...) DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!!!!!!!!!! By the way, this slogan is actually an anti-litter campaign, but it works for anything down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 06:37 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,477,356 times
Unhappy Want some cheese with YOUR Whine?

[quote=ScrantonWilkesBarre;395497]I just don't get it. All the people on the NJ forum do is whine, *****,

ALL of us? Really...hmm

lol lol

Old 02-24-2007, 08:09 PM

2,356 posts, read 2,646,010 times
I'm a South Carolinian, and my family has been in the state since the late 1600's. I can tolerate people saying bad things about my state. There are certainly plenty of things wrong with it. (Which I won't go into here).

But most people aren't very tactful. They want to come onto the board and vent about ALL the things they HATE about a place.. not realizing that it was their own stupid fault for not having a decent understanding of where they were moving.

Like some moron from South Florida complaining that Florence, SC wasn't 'rich and cosmopolitan' enough for him, and that no one should move there, and it was a dump, etc., etc. If he'd done an hour's worth of research, he'd know that he moved from one of the wealthiest parts of the U.S. to one of the poorest, and had completely unrealistic expectations.

It doesn't make it a bad place, it just wasn't what he was looking for. Yet, he started a huge flamewar, that was essentially due to his own ignorance. And this isn't an isolated incident, there are hordes of people moving to SC from Florida, Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, wherever.. that have totally unrealistic expectations.

I just have a difficult time tolerating the bizarre exaggerations that come from these types of posters.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:03 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times
[quote=NewHomeHappy;399932]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I just don't get it. All the people on the NJ forum do is whine, *****,

ALL of us? Really...hmm

lol lol
Correction. Most of you... I don't have problems with most; I just can't understand how seemingly 75% of your state forum can do nothing but whine about NJ and won't either 1.) do something about it or 2.) relocate. NJ has its faults, but I never thought it was such a bad state by any means. You have great beaches, great food, and boatloads of Liberals! What more could you want? I just don't get why Garden Staters will whine and whine and whine and not ACT! When something goes wrong here in PA, we ACT upon it. With last week's blizzard, thousands of PA motorists were stranded on I-78, I-80, and I-81 for up to a full day! We've put so much pressure onto PennDOT, the state legislature, etc. that hearings are now being held in Harrisburg to investigate the matter. Why don't you all demand Senate hearings when things go wrong in New Jersey?

Old 02-25-2007, 02:01 AM

414 posts, read 1,470,257 times
Is there a New Jersey forum? Do people actually post on it? Why? It's all the way across the GWB.

If I lived in New Jersey I'd move.

Jus' kiddin'. I'm from NY and we aren't always nice about our neighbors across the bridge but it has MANY wonderful aspects to it (seriously; beautiful, great shopping, beaches, etc. etc.). They don't drive as well as we do but we're tolerant.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:38 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,980,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I just don't get it. All the people on the NJ forum do is whine, *****, complain, gripe, etc. about their out-of-control taxes, incessant urban sprawl, high pollution, political corruption, high housing prices, rudeness, etc. Then, when one person from outside of NJ makes one negative comment about the Garden State---LOOK OUT!
Thats because they live there, their allowed. Someone going on the board that has never lived there and add their negative "2 cents"
As former "jersey girl" I can say "you bet we are going to "circle the wagons"
It's a jersey thing
karla
who is counting down the days till I fly home on 3/24 to get my "jersey fix"

Old 02-25-2007, 07:51 AM

1,508 posts, read 5,477,356 times
Talking long day?

[quote=ScrantonWilkesBarre;400535]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post

Correction. Most of you... I don't have problems with most; I just can't understand how seemingly 75% of your state forum can do nothing but whine about NJ and won't either 1.) do something about it or 2.) relocate. NJ has its faults, but I never thought it was such a bad state by any means. You have great beaches, great food, and boatloads of Liberals! What more could you want? I just don't get why Garden Staters will whine and whine and whine and not ACT! When something goes wrong here in PA, we ACT upon it. With last week's blizzard, thousands of PA motorists were stranded on I-78, I-80, and I-81 for up to a full day! We've put so much pressure onto PennDOT, the state legislature, etc. that hearings are now being held in Harrisburg to investigate the matter. Why don't you all demand Senate hearings when things go wrong in New Jersey?
ahh, you could have stopped after the word "Correction".
Kudo to all the PA residents that acted upon recent issues.
I scanned the NJ forum (recent) for negative "whiners" and actually I didn't find any. The few that were there may have finally moved to FL or NC. Hey, I'm Happy (see new name) in my NEW HOME and I'm not a whiner but as any Jersey girl will concur, if you arent' from here, then don't talk sheet. LOL

Old 02-25-2007, 09:45 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Thats because they live there, their allowed. Someone going on the board that has never lived there and add their negative "2 cents"
As former "jersey girl" I can say "you bet we are going to "circle the wagons"
It's a jersey thing
karla
who is counting down the days till I fly home on 3/24 to get my "jersey fix"
I guess that's just a phenomenon I'm not used to. I couldn't fathom saying something negative about my own hometown and then turning 180-degress to come to its defense when someone else added onto my negativity. In an odd way, my December feud on the NJ forum was GREAT for the Garden State---it took the attention off of bickering about how corrupt their state is and instead redirected it at "banding together to fight off an attacker to tell the world how much NJ means to us!" I still don't see how people can be so quick to do such a 180-degree turnaround from bashing their state to defending it with all of their hearts, but it was nice, in retrospect, to see everyone working together towards a "common good" (Name-calling me and giving me red dots!) LOL!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:06 AM

253 posts, read 1,179,592 times
Yeah, DONT MESS WITH TEXAS
Texas is a joke. Everybody knows texans are long on wind and short on action.

How insecure do you gotta be to wig out anytime someone says anything about your hole of a state?

Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
Yeah, DONT MESS WITH TEXAS
Texas is a joke. Everybody knows texans are long on wind and short on action.

How insecure do you gotta be to wig out anytime someone says anything about your hole of a state?
Excuse me? All Texans ain't long winded and insecure. That's just another common stereotype. We're proud of our state, and I bet you would get all red in the face if someone dissed N.Y. I could tell you what's wrong with EACH and EVERY state, but I don't. I don't talk about anyone of your states because I got more respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or