U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:06 AM

1,075 posts, read 3,189,096 times

Advertisements

Why do we defend our state or city of which we live, it's not a material possession of ours, but yet we sure can get into a cyber war of words over it on boards such as these.

if we live in xxxx state or city that were not fond of anymore and someone makes a bad statement about a state that now were going to be moving to suddenly it's our new state/city and by golly were going to defend it.

one could say it's a masculine thing, testosterone stuff ya know , but we also see women doing it also, we have no idea of who we have just declared war upon, it may be a woman, may be a child, but yet we have circled the wagons put on war paint and commence to attacking.

i myself am guilty of such attacks, then i look back upon it and think now how stupid can that be .

could it be we have had a bad day and now were looking for that sacrificial post, maybe just flat out mean, perhaps just a troll.

we read the post, get a little hot under the collar , then tell ourselves nope not my place to respond, go back read it again, think.

then we lash out in vengeance, ahhhh relief, victory is mine we exclaim only to find that we didn't really accomplish anything but look somewhat silly.

however there will always be those posts no matter what the subject to were we say to ourselves ok guy that's not right, but yet it must be right since they posted it believing they themselves are absolutely right, then the circling of the wagons will begin once again.

Last edited by joee; 02-23-2007 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 03:22 AM

4,489 posts, read 6,657,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
i myself am guilty of such attacks, then i look back upon it and think now how stupid can that be .
I am guilty of it too! I was referring to Sedona, Arizona as "infested with weirdos" and "artsy-fartsy town".

I should have kept my bad opinion to myself!

Oh well!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:09 AM

29,617 posts, read 65,648,793 times
I just don't get it. All the people on the NJ forum do is whine, *****, complain, gripe, etc. about their out-of-control taxes, incessant urban sprawl, high pollution, political corruption, high housing prices, rudeness, etc. Then, when one person from outside of NJ makes one negative comment about the Garden State---LOOK OUT!
The red dots will start flying at you faster than undersexed Catholic priests upon unsuspecting teenaged-male fashion models! Let's see how many red dots this reply garners me! LOL!

We had a bunch of Scranton nay-sayers on the PA forum recently which sparked a massive controversy, yet we generally all handled it with civility (with the exception of one banned member who posted my personal family information all over the forum in an effort to gain leverage, but I digress). NJ has to be the only state forum I know where everyone whines and ******* about how much they hate living there and then can do a complete 180-degree turn around to say "Don't say anything bad about our state" to anyone else. I just don't get it---when people from NJ bad-mouth Scranton, I don't start hurling the red dots. Why do you people?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:01 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,950,554 times
Im the first to rise-up in defense of Illinois, its my home, I love it, same as all the other people who love their states. I think its a pride thing, no doubt. We all love where we live for one reason or another, right? Right. So say what you have to say, but dont attack just to be downright mean. Ive been guilty of that in the past and now I try and keep in on a level-headed plane.

The mods in the AZ boards apparently have a problem with ANYONE offering their opinion, regardless if they know and love the area. LOL Go figure.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:09 PM

5,641 posts, read 13,596,057 times
Check out the FL boards. Seems like most of the people who attack the state are people who live, or have lived there, while many of the ones who defend it are FL wannabes who have NEVER lived there!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 PM

569 posts, read 1,118,966 times
"I'm Sooner born, I'm Sooner bred, when I die, I'll be Sooner dead! - author unknown

As far as I'm concerned, there's Oklahoma....."where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain, and the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet, when the wind comes right behind the rain.....", and then there is the rest of the country (YAWN)!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:24 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,533,607 times
I'm a native Texan but I HATE living in Texas. And it's because of the weather. I want a place that has four seasons and yes I plan to move. I don't think this is the big great place most Texans think it is. I want mountains and better weather.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:12 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,939,731 times
joee

i think if you are born in a place where your family has been for enons, it is your HOME and everyone defends their home and family.

I defend my state because it is where my heart is, where my history is, my ancestors are, my lineage since the founding of this great nation.

So, I love my culture as an American, south carolinian, a lowcountry Charlestonian, a Mt pleasanter, a Gullah, a person of african and carribean , scots irish, native american indian descent.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:26 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,898,648 times
To some people insulting there home state is like insulting someone's family. I believe for many, part it has to do with how much identity people feel they get from their home.

I'm cold most of the time and most of our laws are too strict IMHO, so many people can take cracks at it without ruffling much of my feathers.

But we have some redeming qualities that I or others appreciate and might defend if someone attacked them. Like don't say our beer sucks, but it's fine to say our beer prices suck.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:34 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,939,731 times
cold:

i lived in canada for a year with my ex gf and her very quebecois family in Montreal--they all spoke some serious french. we drank beer all the time, watched so much hockey i thought I was going to grow a puck, ate well and they were the great folks. I also lived with english canadians in a cohousing in Central america and they were like family to me, so other than the liberal bad politics of many canadians, I love the freakin place and nothing bad to say about it.

I am a South Carolinian and very patriotic about it, I live up north now and put my SC flag out every morning and my American flag, I feel i am an expatriate in a foreign land here up North--doing missionary work to the poor in their Urban jungle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or