Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Those Who Live In A City With A Large Hispanic Population, Have You Ever Seen An MS-13 Member In
Yes 44 42.31%
No 60 57.69%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:07 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,968,352 times

Advertisements

2 years ago when I was on vacation in Southern California, I saw a guy in Venice Beach who had an MS-13 tattoo on his chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 07:29 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
No.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:37 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,985,022 times
Uh, lol. Not all MS-13 members have visible tattoos, and they probably wouldn't go up to you and say "Hi, I'm from MS-13." Weird question IMO.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:37 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I live in a suburb of Portland, Oregon where there are very large Hispanic populations, and we know that "the gangs" are out there. But I've not seen what you described. Here, maybe it's because it's cooler weather and so they cover up more.

Also, we have city ordinances here that require property owners to clean up the graffiti or they get heavily fined. (Which I think is BS, but that's another issue.) Therefore, the gang markings on their pissing grounds aren't nearly as conspicuous as they used to be. This is both a good and bad thing. The defacing certainly improves the appearance; however, it also provides a false sense of security.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:31 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,562 times
nope

Old 11-17-2008, 12:09 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
No. In Chicago area, there are no LA gangs and MS-13. All the latino gangs are Chicago based.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:42 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
No. In Chicago area, there are no LA gangs and MS-13. All the latino gangs are Chicago based.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Mara Salvatrucha is a Hispanic gang that originated in Los Angeles...In the United States, the gang's strongholds have historically been in the American Southwest and West Coast states...The Mara Salvatrucha gang originated in Los Angeles, set up in 1980s by Salvadoran immigrants in the city's Pico-Union neighborhood...Originally, the gang's main purpose was to protect Salvadoran immigrants from other, more established gangs of Los Angeles, who were predominately comprised of Mexicans and African-Americans...

I don't think I've ever known anyone stupid enough to say that the MS-13 is not LA based. If you're gonna say that, at least don't say it's Chicago-based...use NYC or Miami or Houston or San Francisco or Vegas or Phoenix or San Diego. LOL...Chicago...MS-13's HQ...HAHAHAHA!!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:46 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
I live in Lorain, OH, its a city outside of Cleveland with a large hispanic population. And yes I have seen a lot of MS-13 gang members up close.

That gang isnt huge in the city but there are members here and in Cleveland itself. Most of them Ive seen are from out of town that have family here though. The main hispanic population here is puerto rican, and most of MS-13 at least started out as Mexican but there are a lot of members who arent Mexican.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:02 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Mara Salvatrucha is a Hispanic gang that originated in Los Angeles...In the United States, the gang's strongholds have historically been in the American Southwest and West Coast states...The Mara Salvatrucha gang originated in Los Angeles, set up in 1980s by Salvadoran immigrants in the city's Pico-Union neighborhood...Originally, the gang's main purpose was to protect Salvadoran immigrants from other, more established gangs of Los Angeles, who were predominately comprised of Mexicans and African-Americans...

I don't think I've ever known anyone stupid enough to say that the MS-13 is not LA based. If you're gonna say that, at least don't say it's Chicago-based...use NYC or Miami or Houston or San Francisco or Vegas or Phoenix or San Diego. LOL...Chicago...MS-13's HQ...HAHAHAHA!!!!
Uh, the poster above said that MS 13 is NOT in Chicago, but that the Latino gangs that are in Chicago are locally based.

You could have saved yourself some smiley faces if you had read it more carefully.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:11 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

What are you talking about, haha. Did you read the post? He said MS-13's are NOT in Chicago, and that the Latino gangs in Chicago are from Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.