Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:58 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's because we have so much space. Proximity leads to tolerance; it's only possible to maintain prejudice with distance. Americans have always had the option of running away from the crowd: to the West, to the suburb, to the exurb, and now the western exurb (i.e. Phoenix, the Inland Empire). It's possible to sequester yourself around entirely like-minded people (or even create your own bubble). You can't do that as easily in Europe.

The desire to be left alone is arguably what made the country great but it is, in the end, selfish and tends to make people conservative. The higher the population density the more liberal the population and vice versa.
Hi there,
Your post makes really good sense. I just have one thing to comment on, though. I don't agree with the statement you made regarding selfishness makes people conservative; that happens on both sides of the isle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:13 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
It's the far right that bothers me. I'm fine with fiscal conservatism, IMO, it's a good idea. (although not one that always works) Social conservatism and religion is fine to an extent, I myself am a Christian.

What bothers me is the extreme right.

The people who actually believe Obama is a marxist, and those who believe in the so called "gay agenda".

Yesterday, Newt Gingrich said:

The fact that someone could say this, and be talked about as a possible nominee for 2012, is INSANE!
Yeah, the extreme right SCARES me.

Newt...oh GOD!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
selfishness masquarading as conservative.
rageaholics masquarading as john wayne
rudeness masquarading as courage
you're no daisy no you're not.
we dont need your rage we need your strength
cowboy up.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:27 AM

217 posts, read 961,025 times
Because most of the country is sparsely populated and therefore most people in these areas do not want over regulation due to fear. Fear that they will pay more in taxes and be told what's good for them. People in these areas are more simple minded and therefore reject complexity of government that you find in more populated areas of the country. (Example: the coasts, cities and sprawling areas)

Old 11-27-2008, 06:48 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
No other civilized country in the world is as far right as the U.S.

Why is this?

Our "leftists" are still RIGHT of center politically!
Conservatives/Republicans have controlled American politics for decades and have influenced its citizens through their funded tv programs. We have a military industrial complex.

Not to mention that Puritans founded America as we have very unhealthy views towards sex.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:05 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
Because most of the country is sparsely populated and therefore most people in these areas do not want over regulation due to fear. Fear that they will pay more in taxes and be told what's good for them. People in these areas are more simple minded and therefore reject complexity of government that you find in more populated areas of the country. (Example: the coasts, cities and sprawling areas)
I wouldn't say conservatives are simple minded. They have their way of life and they don't appreciate a liberal agenda to modify that in any way. The liberal agenda usually doesn’t connect or apply with a rural/conservative way of life. It’s just the same if you flip it around. Just look how popular Captain Bush is with the urban liberal.
People read way too much into those titles, however. I’m guessing if people would follow their principles at heart they would be much more middle of the road on each side.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Conservatives/Republicans have controlled American politics for decades and have influenced its citizens through their funded tv programs. We have a military industrial complex.

Not to mention that Puritans founded America as we have very unhealthy views towards sex.
Lol, you're suggesting conservative republicans have influenced citizens though tv and media? I'm pretty sure Jews have that industry by the nut sack and I challenge you to name a handful of conservative Jews relative to your theory. I definitely wouldn't disagree if you are referring to the right propeganda train (i.e. FoxNews, Rush, Newt...etc) but the same goes for the left.

Also, I'm curious to your statement on our "unhealthy views towards sex". What’s unhealthy about wanting it? Everyone I know, with the exception of a few prude females and a few dudes who are most likely gay, but won’t come out, definitely want it.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:22 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Lol, you're suggesting conservative republicans have influenced citizens though tv and media? I'm pretty sure Jews have that industry by the nut sack and I challenge you to name a handful of conservative Jews relative to your theory. I definitely wouldn't disagree if you are referring to the right propeganda train (i.e. FoxNews, Rush, Newt...etc) but the same goes for the left.

Also, I'm curious to your statement on our "unhealthy views towards sex". What’s unhealthy about wanting it? Everyone I know, with the exception of a few prude females and a few dudes who are most likely gay, but won’t come out, definitely want it.
The Republicans have spent lots of dollars to sway the public towards the war mindset we have.

We are obsessed with sex. Our religious obsession with it has done more harm than good. Europe, which is actually more liberal when it comes to sex has less STDs, teen pregnancies, birthrates and abortions.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The Republicans have spent lots of dollars to sway the public towards the war mindset we have.

We are obsessed with sex. Our religious obsession with it has done more harm than good. Europe, which is actually more liberal when it comes to sex has less STDs, teen pregnancies, birthrates and abortions.
I actually thought back a little regarding the sex part; I have to say I agree with you. Their religious obsession with sex (including religions against birthcontrol) seem very counter productive towards today's problems.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:04 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:

The Puritans were only one of the groups that founded America, and they only settled in New England along with other various groups. Spanish, British, French, Irish, Dutch, Italians, and Germans also had large and successful colonies. There weren't all as morally militant as the Puritans, but there wasn't much sexual freedom anywhere during that era.

I also seriously doubt that anyone's unhealthy views toward sex is the result of being a descendent of religious conservatives from 400 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.