Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 04:32 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Chinese students are enrolling in U.S. universities in record numbers, encouraged by aggressive recruiting combined with China's booming economy and growing middle class.

Flush with money, eager Chinese students flock to U.S. - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/17/chinese.students.ap/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 04:55 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
No kidding. Half of the people in the master's program I'm in come straight from China. It's not just a coincidence; my school purposely goes to various cities in China to recruit them. I have mixed feelings about this.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
For past 25+yrs, over 50% of PhD students at Stanford Engineering have been from outside US, largely India...similar phenomena has prevailed at other leading engineering grad schools like Berkeley, MIT, U-IL....

US economy depends upon attracting smartest kids from all over world to US' best colleges....the best of the best eventually start valuable cos. in places like SiliconValley and generate new jobs and tax revenues....

Lesser colleges like BostonU, NYU, Duke, USC, etc have been peddling their lackluster educations to whomever can write a check; lots of affluent, dumb people w/dumb kids in various 3rdWorld countries and US....

But most smart employers know which schools/majors/GPA's signify possibly worthwhile hires and may command higher wages in the mkt for talent

Old 11-17-2008, 05:54 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Trust me, this is not a good thing. CA teens can barely get into good colleges anymore. I know people in other parts of the country that are glad when they get a 3.8 or 3.5 GPA, but it would be almost impossible for even a CA resident to get into a UC school with that GPA. I heard UCLA's average GPA was like 4.7 or something! Every school is becoming harder and harder and if you notice, the hardest have huge Asian populations like UCLA and UCSD. Not sure about UCB though.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:21 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Lesser colleges like BostonU, NYU, Duke, USC, etc have been peddling their lackluster educations to whomever can write a check; lots of affluent, dumb people w/dumb kids in various 3rdWorld countries and US....
Those are "lesser" colleges? Wow. You really have no idea what you are talking about. You just trashed four of the finest schools in America. I know people like you. I'm just about convinced you are either one of two things: a) a grumpy old man who never went to college, never accomplished much of anything with your life, doesn't have much money, and who spends your entire days dreaming about "what if" while others actually live productive lives. or b) you used to be a successful doctor for many years but since retirement you've been so burned out you haven't saved many brain cells left-- but the know it all attitude persists, even when you don't know what you're talking about. Am I right?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:12 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Seems like there was a news article recently about Chinese students at St. Louis University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.