U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 01:49 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,176,407 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving south, from wash state, to get away from the rain and the political climate. have been concentrating mostly in the state of Texas, i also really liked southern bama aroud foley robertsdale. We need to be in a rural setting where you can still get affordable acreage but not necessarily isolated, we are very outdoors oreinted with horses & waterskiing and a good youth and highschool football program is a must! the obvious would be a safe family environment with low crime. any one have any suggestions or first hand knowledge of the perfect spot? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 04:13 PM

597 posts, read 1,820,716 times
Well, I'm not living in the South, but I am from WA like you. I just thought I'd give you a little bit of advice: brush up on your Civil War knowledge. I'm not sure if Texas is the same as the southeast, but people sure like to talk about it as if it was yesterday. Have fun! Sorry to hear you're leaving such a beautiful state, cause I can't wait to get back there (I'm assuming you must be conservative leaning if you wanna move south--have you tried eastern WA, it's like night and day politically from Seattle). Good luck on the move.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Well, I'm not living in the South, but I am from WA like you. I just thought I'd give you a little bit of advice: brush up on your Civil War knowledge. I'm not sure if Texas is the same as the southeast, but people sure like to talk about it as if it was yesterday. Have fun! Sorry to hear you're leaving such a beautiful state, cause I can't wait to get back there (I'm assuming you must be conservative leaning if you wanna move south--have you tried eastern WA, it's like night and day politically from Seattle). Good luck on the move.
thank you yea we love eastern wash, chelan ,curlew. we are ready to get out of the state all together .thanks for the input.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:20 PM

699 posts, read 2,342,590 times
Be sure not to listen to someone who advises of stereotypes in the south...I'm hoping you have the good sense to recognize that red flag. The only discussions (or even mention) of the civil war that I've been involved in have been right here in this forum with people like this who try to tell potential residents that same story over and over. Frankly kizzie people are tired of hearing it...

There are some very scenic and beautiful towns in the Southern Appalachians located in North Georgia. There are lots of small towns and plenty of countryside, and 1-2 hours drive from Atlanta. It might be worth checking out...

Old 02-23-2007, 11:05 PM

597 posts, read 1,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Be sure not to listen to someone who advises of stereotypes in the south...I'm hoping you have the good sense to recognize that red flag. The only discussions (or even mention) of the civil war that I've been involved in have been right here in this forum with people like this who try to tell potential residents that same story over and over. Frankly kizzie people are tired of hearing it...

There are some very scenic and beautiful towns in the Southern Appalachians located in North Georgia. There are lots of small towns and plenty of countryside, and 1-2 hours drive from Atlanta. It might be worth checking out...
Hey, I meant it with all sincerity sprtsluvr. Honestly, I've been to the south on more than 1 occasion and it is beautiful, especially the Appalachians (I particularly like them in NC and east tennessee). I have a good friend who lives outside of Savannah and he tells me all the time about how strange it is that people talk about the Civil War in casual conversation quite frequently. I'm not knockin' the south, it just comes from experience and what I've been told by others. No offense, I think the south is beautiful and I'd much rather be down there these days than stuck in MI all winter...

Old 02-24-2007, 03:25 AM

699 posts, read 2,342,590 times
Well thank you at least for the retraction...just remember when you make sweeping general statements about people they are almost always exaggerated...I've lived in the south all of my life and have never noticed an obsession with the Civil War. I'm into history so it's but one world event that I might have an interest in discussing, but very rarely. Even if someone does talk about it, the Civil War was a huge tragedy for the U.S. and especially for the south, where the after effects of it were still being felt 100 years later.

Do you think people in Boston or Philadelphia are obsessed with the American Revolution? It's a big deal there and it seems that the times I've visited I heard people talking about it, there were dozens of Revolutionary historic sites, people in period costumes, all kinds of colonial stuff. Does that mean those cities "talk about the Revolutionary War" all the time and they should be criticized for it? Or maybe...it's part of the fabric of the city and is completely intertwined with the history, heritage and restoration efforts. It's probably very similar in parts of the south, where most of the Civil War took place. The city of Atlanta was completely burned to the ground...so there are residents here only one generation removed from that disaster. Anyway, my point is that if people talk about the Civil War, for the most part it is due to a historical interest or possibly a personal one.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:42 AM

259 posts, read 1,813,309 times
I Would Look Into The Hill Country And Outskirts Of Austin.....it's A Mixed Bag Of People For Sure , Lots Of Outdoor Things To Do.....very Humid In The Summer Though! Good Luck:d

Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 AM

thanks sprtslvr8, hey talk about the civil war doesnt bother me i will check out n georgia, we have been looking around austin, may be just alittle to much like the seattle culture for us ? thanks for the input!

Old 02-24-2007, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,969 times
I live in Ocean Springs, MS. I go to Mobile quit often and have been to Gulf Shore/Foley area. I live in West Cental AL for most of my life. As far as the Civil War talk. I don't hear it that much. It's kind of like the Vietnam war, when you lose, it cuts a little deep. Racism isn't as it seems on TV. Foley and North would be a nice place to start. Hurricanes is also a consideration. Katrina is still very evident here.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyA View Post
I live in Ocean Springs, MS. I go to Mobile quit often and have been to Gulf Shore/Foley area. I live in West Cental AL for most of my life. As far as the Civil War talk. I don't hear it that much. It's kind of like the Vietnam war, when you lose, it cuts a little deep. Racism isn't as it seems on TV. Foley and North would be a nice place to start. Hurricanes is also a consideration. Katrina is still very evident here.
yeah the time I spent in AL, I loved it, of course i wasn't in any large citys and dont want to be. in and out of mobile for the airport and over to pensacola now and again. I remember driving north through Mississippi and thinking I could live here.there is just something i find attractive about the so called deep south for raising a family. the hurricanes are a concern to the wife!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or