U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:20 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,912,557 times

Advertisements

Pines- The Society of Cincinnati, now called the "Sons of Cincinnati" is a hereditary male membership group open to descendants of George Washington's generals/officers who served in the Revoltuionary War. They have an office in DC. Some later moved west to found your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 11:04 PM

699 posts, read 2,341,930 times
Atlanta has been headed uphill for a few years now...development, population increases, quality of life, gentrification, etc.

Other cities that I'm more familiar with are all in the southeastern U.S....and all are currently on the rise.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:25 PM

673 posts, read 3,752,987 times
Ive noticed alot of midwestern cities are trending down-hill except Chicago and Grand Rapids, Michigan.

In regards to Cincinnati they might have lots of new devolopments, but its down-hill until they can get that excessive sickiningly high crime rate under control. Cincinnati would be the jewel of the midwest especially considering the architecture in the OTR and alot of other inner-city areas and I know alot of the architecture is being re-habbed into living space but I dont know who would want to pay for a new condo in Cincinnati which is a very unstable and unsafe city. Id love to live in Cincinnati if not for the breathtakingly crime rate and it increases every year. Covington seems nice though, one of the jewels of the area without the problems over the river!

And alot of southern, north east and western cities are trending up-hill.
But then I havent out west lately, how are the cities in California doing?.

Here in the Omaha are where I am: the downtown is trending up-hill, but the neighborhoods are trending down-hill and fast.

Downtown Omaha has a new massive performing arts center, arena (one of the busiest in the world) and alot of commercial construction downtown.

But the neighborhoods in Omaha are increasingly struggling with extremely high housing vacancy rates, boarded-up buildings and decreasing amounts of retail. Such a shame with Omaha when you have beautifully constructed solid brick apartment buildings on the northside just sitting vacant and falling apart.

But Omaha is not alone while alot of midwestern cities (KC, Des Moines, Indianapolis) seem to be trending up it tends to be just in the downtown areas, the neighborhoods in almost all midwestern cities except Chicago seem to be going down-hill.

Des Moines despite the downtown getting a massive makeover and looking great to outsiders just coming in on business is going down-hill and is losing population and has alot of high poverty, high vacancy rate, low property value declining neighborhoods. Shockingly with the stunning Des Moines skyline for only 200,000 people with tons of commercial devolopment in the downtown just blocks away in the Keosequa street area just west of downtown its in very bad shape and thats not uncommon for the city.

Even Minneapolis and St. Paul which some of the strongest economies in the nation and have vastly improving downtown's both Minneapolis and St. Paul neighborhoods are different story (not all neighborhoods, but alot), it seems like St. Paul has a vacancy issue and Minneapolis has an increasingly bad crime rate. So even those two cities known for being near perfect have increasingly bad problems.

Last edited by MattDen; 02-25-2007 at 11:38 PM..

Old 02-26-2007, 04:27 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,069,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Pines- The Society of Cincinnati, now called the "Sons of Cincinnati" is a hereditary male membership group open to descendants of George Washington's generals/officers who served in the Revoltuionary War. They have an office in DC. Some later moved west to found your city.
This is really, really weird. I though I knew a lot of Ohio history. Im still learning all kinds of stuff. My grandma done my dads family geneology and told us that the two guys in the painting of George Washington crossing the Delaware are both my uncles. Maybe she wasnt kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or