U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:17 AM

17 posts, read 61,755 times

Advertisements

things i want to be surrounded by:
the sunshine
fresh, organic markets
holistic health practitioners
nature (ocean, or mountains, or both...)
good music
interesting people
festivals
alternative forms of education
relaxed pedestrian friendly town
near a big city, but not in one.

things i dont want to be surrounded by:
race car fans (i currently live in daytona beach)
bars
lots of commericialized resturants
NOTHING TO DO.....
nothing to see....

any advice as to where to move? i'm not too fond of florida, but am open to ideas.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 11:29 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,766,057 times
Quote:
What do you mean by that, please? And would you need that for yourself or for children?

Old 02-24-2007, 12:03 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,174,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princhepesa View Post
things i want to be surrounded by:
the sunshine
fresh, organic markets
holistic health practitioners
nature (ocean, or mountains, or both...)
good music
interesting people
festivals
relaxed pedestrian friendly town
near a big city, but not in one.

things i dont want to be surrounded by:
race car fans (i currently live in daytona beach)
bars
lots of commericialized resturants
NOTHING TO DO.....
nothing to see....

any advice as to where to move? i'm not too fond of florida, but am open to ideas.
thanks
Boy! I was going to say Sedon AZ, but i am guessing you are looking for some place in CA. There is a place in Seattle called Fremont that would be a perfect fit except for the lack of sunshine!

Old 02-24-2007, 06:44 PM

What do you mean by that, please? And would you need that for yourself or for children?[/quote]

that would be for myself. but i will be having children in a few years, so i would like alternative education for them as well to be available. i am interested in waldorf schools (created by Steiner), or holistic health schools. i dont mean new age type schools either. thanks for replying

Old 02-24-2007, 07:11 PM

Princhepesa, I believe that if you research and visit the town of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, you may find your wish list fulfilled quite nicely.

Here is a website for the two Waldorf schools in Chapel Hill, NC:

http://www.emersonwaldorf.org

"20 Reasons to Love Living in Chapel Hill": http://www.chapelhillnews.com/106/story/5465.html

Last edited by Figment 07; 02-24-2007 at 07:20 PM..

Old 02-25-2007, 12:09 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,364,986 times
Although I'm not sure if it meets the sunshine quota or whether or not it's considered to be close enough to a large city (I believe Charlotte is around 90 minutes away), but Asheville, North Carolina seems to fit the rest of your criteria and I think is worth a look.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:53 AM

414 posts, read 1,470,026 times
Look into Ashland, Oregon.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 AM

Default interesting...

it's so funny that Asheville and Chapel Hill were mentioned. i have one best friend that lives in Chapel Hill, and my favorite cousin lives in Asheville. i have visited both places and i in fact do love them both. my only problem with moving to those places (at least for my initial jump from the nest) is that i grew up in the mountains of nc when i was a little girl. i love it there, [i]but[i]i've been there. i want to see new places, because i certainly haven't seen many ([b]yet[b]). just for the record, i've been to nc, new york city, boston, and phoenix. and that's about it. yup, never out of the country either. so if you have suggestions even for out of the u.s. that would be great. i will look into ashland too.
thanks everyone!

Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 AM

For all that you want, including the availability of Steiner Waldorf schooling, then somewhere around Austin, Texas could be an option.

You've already lived in Arizona, so maybe New Mexico is too familiar when what you are craving is totally fresh territory to explore. If not, then consider a central or north central New Mexico town like Santa Fe or Albuquerque.

http://www.austinwaldorf.org

http://www.santafewaldorf.org

Old 02-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Default oopps

i'm sorry. i probably need to edit my last post. i haven't lived in arizona, only visited. the only two states i've ever lived in are florida and nc. so i will definetely look into austin. how is the nature around austin though? thanks so much for your advice. i really do appriciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.