U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:46 PM

260 posts, read 219,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Elementary, dear Watson. We love to shoot people. Personally, a day without bustin' a cap in somebody's *** is like a day without sunshine.

• Napalm in the morning.
  • Bambi massacres, the titillating song stylings of Ted "The Nuge" Nugent wailing in the misty morn.
  • Hiding in a bunker in Montana with 48 shotguns, a case of Schlitz and a shelf full of canned peas waiting for 2012.
  • Ghetto drive-by's, hookers and crackheads running for their lives.
  • Mentally strange wing-nuts, armed to the teeth and sensually aroused by inflammatory rhetoric, and/or Jodie Foster.

Wholesome, just like mom and apple pie and hamburgers and fat people with rear ends the size of a continental shelf lumbering through the closest mall. Now that you can carry guns into bars and when you go out to dinner in some states, it's gonna get a lot funnier: waiter/diner duels, shaky-quaky alcoholics blowing their own private parts across the room halfway through the 10th marnagrita of the evening (Thank God I was packin' though - I coulda got mugged by dopers). This will make for great television.

We love drugs too. Snort it up, shoot it down, freak with the freakers, and end the night feeling free. That is who we are. You gotta problem with it?

Look at what we've gone through. Since the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the cold war, turning brown people in obscure countries into walking barbecue lost its' domino-theory cachet. Since then, the middle class has eroded. The economy has had some kind of epic seizure it will take us a generation to crawl our way out of, one sub-mental McJob after another. There are zombie subdivisions and half-depopulated cities from Sea to Shining Sea. We can't go out and charge expensive plastic crap (This used to be America's pastime) that we'd hate as soon as we got the stuff in question back home from the aforementioned mall. We gotta have something to occupy our time.

Randy Newman put it best:

Turpentine and dandelion wine
turn the corner, I'm doin' fine
shootin' at the birds of the telephone line
pickin' 'em off with gun of mine
Got a fire in the belly and a fire in my head
gettin' high high 'till I'm dead

Brother Gene, big and mean - he ain't got much to say
had a li'l woman he whopped each day, but now she gone away
Got drunk last night, kicked momma down the stairs
I'm all right, and I don't care

Oh oh the sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home
and young folks roll on the floor
Oh oh the sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home
keep 'em hard times 'way from my door
You paint way too rosy of a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 11:17 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,784,382 times
Some people call it a "high violent crime rate"...other call it "good times with weapons"

Good Times with Weapons (Season 8, Episode 1) - Full Episode Player - South Park Studios

Old 07-01-2011, 09:22 AM

37 posts, read 83,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
My bad, that is excluding murders but including assaults, etc. But you're national stats are wrong. In recent development Scotland, England, and Wales have held the title as the countries with the highest violent crime among DEVELOPED countries. Violent crime in the UK is higher than that of the US, although murders may not be the highest. Having lived in London over summer vacation and taking many trips over there, I know the UK better than most people in America and I know London better than most people in America.

"The study, by the UNís crime research institute, found that 3 per cent of Scots had been victims of assault compared with 1.2 per cent in America and just 0.1 per cent in Japan, 0.2 per cent in Italy and 0.8 per cent in Austria. In England and Wales the figure was 2.8 per cent." [Scotland tops list of world's most violent countries - Katrina Tweedie]

This article was written in 2005, but the only thing that has really changed is that England and Wales are now more violent than Scotland.
Scotland tops list of world's most violent countries - Times Online
Yes, you are right, while the USA has a high murder rate compared to the UK and europe, the USA has a very low rape/burglary/assault rate compared to the UK and Europe. The are some parts of the USA that are much safer than the UK, states like New Hampshire, and cities like NYC are safer than London...While NYC has a slightly higher murder rate than London, NYC is still much safer as it has an extremely low rape/assault/burglary rate compared to london...And yes - I have lived in London and i do know the stats.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:05 PM

8,064 posts, read 10,102,680 times
It's obviously because of the 2nd Amendment, the Electoral College and the Evil Corporations ... and don't forget the ... um ... "banksters" and their Atlantian Conspiracy / sarc

(I think I nailed all the usual talking points ... )

Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 PM

23,055 posts, read 18,049,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAP443 View Post
Compared to most developed countries, the US' violent crime rate s pretty high.
Uneducated and undereducated youth with dubious friends and a single parent, or totally absent parents, providing little or no substantive guidance, begatting more of the same.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 587 times
Default Are you people brain dead?

I'm not sure if the people responding are uneducated or ignorant? The U.S. has SIX times the murder rate of all other western nations. The crime rate might be the same or lower but that is even not accurate as different nations judge crime by different methods (some count drinking and driving for example, some don't), so the U.S. should not feel good that the gated communities stop some crime, when its not really accurate. The best way to judge a society is by murder rate: you can't fudge those numbers! And the U.S. has SIX times the rate. Now to the responses: some say maybe its the legal system? Or we need more punishment to stop crime? ALL research and evidence shows this is NOT the problem or will help. (Even right wingers who once wanted more jails at huge cost in California now admit it failed to reduce crime). The problem is simple: The U.S. is still not nearly as civilized as other societies. All western nations take care of the poor by free health care and other programs that make them less desperate. All other nations have gun control that say people don't need handguns or other weapons unless you are a hunter. Why would anyone other than police need a handgun? Stop being ignorant and despite the fact the U.S. has some of the smartest people in the world and a great innovative economic engine that has helped create wealth, it too often does't do something called (listen closely here), "BALANCE". All other nations understand this: strong free market with some oversight to make sure they don't have sub-prime mortgage fiascos or so that those in need are taken care of. Spend a bit of money on the root problem and crime goes down. Keep your walled communities and don;t care about poor and you live in fear....and get rid of the guns. (Morons who claim its in the constitution forget that was written when they feared the British might attack again and they wanted everyone armed....those same people had slaves...so get over it and don't buy into the B.S. propaganda from the gun lobbyists who just wanted to make money). Don't be afraid to look at other nations and you don't have to recreate the wheel: it's been done elsewhere successfully. (try our neighbours for starts: safe society, low murder rate, strongest economy right now, some oversight)

Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,113,737 times
Murder is obviously the "ultimate" crime, but I'd rather not experience a knife-wielding robber either, or even an angry fist (I'm no masochist), and apparently Europe is not such a placid place to be, when all that is factored in. The USA is a very diverse and compartmental society. There are many different universes inside this country, or even inside a single city here. I'm not sure that anywhere in London is as safe as my neighborhood on the north side of Chicago. Certainly not anywhere in Moscow (don't forget that Europe has a scary eastern portion).

Anyway, the American murder problem is actually pretty simple. First of all, it's a very specific subculture/subsector of the population; it's not as if all Americans are constantly shooting each other. Second, it's one of those things that builds on itself: once violence began to strike these communities, it changed the whole mentality and created a vicious cycle of revenge and bitterness.

And finally, if you look even deeper, obviously poverty and desperation played a role in creating the initial spark that started the fire. And ongoing poverty helps to fan the flames, though at this point the biggest problem with poverty in America is less about "lacking stuff" and more about being stuck in a violent and cruel environment.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:06 PM

8,156 posts, read 13,123,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmithc098 View Post
I'm not sure if the people responding are uneducated or ignorant? The U.S. has SIX times the murder rate of all other western nations. The crime rate might be the same or lower but that is even not accurate as different nations judge crime by different methods (some count drinking and driving for example, some don't), so the U.S. should not feel good that the gated communities stop some crime, when its not really accurate. The best way to judge a society is by murder rate: you can't fudge those numbers! And the U.S. has SIX times the rate. Now to the responses: some say maybe its the legal system? Or we need more punishment to stop crime? ALL research and evidence shows this is NOT the problem or will help. (Even right wingers who once wanted more jails at huge cost in California now admit it failed to reduce crime). The problem is simple: The U.S. is still not nearly as civilized as other societies. All western nations take care of the poor by free health care and other programs that make them less desperate. All other nations have gun control that say people don't need handguns or other weapons unless you are a hunter. Why would anyone other than police need a handgun? Stop being ignorant and despite the fact the U.S. has some of the smartest people in the world and a great innovative economic engine that has helped create wealth, it too often does't do something called (listen closely here), "BALANCE". All other nations understand this: strong free market with some oversight to make sure they don't have sub-prime mortgage fiascos or so that those in need are taken care of. Spend a bit of money on the root problem and crime goes down. Keep your walled communities and don;t care about poor and you live in fear....and get rid of the guns. (Morons who claim its in the constitution forget that was written when they feared the British might attack again and they wanted everyone armed....those same people had slaves...so get over it and don't buy into the B.S. propaganda from the gun lobbyists who just wanted to make money). Don't be afraid to look at other nations and you don't have to recreate the wheel: it's been done elsewhere successfully. (try our neighbours for starts: safe society, low murder rate, strongest economy right now, some oversight)

Old 04-07-2012, 03:33 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,113,737 times
^
Good answer. After all, this country was founded on the principle of silencing criticism and expelling dissenters. Oh wait...

Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM

159 posts, read 137,557 times
Way too easy to get guns in America. Americans think weapons protect them, but in fact, weapons kill them.
A good politician would vote a law to make it very difficult to get weapons, despite the fact that a majority of americans are pro-gun (sometimes politicians have to take their responsibilities and do what is best to do for the greater good, even if that means they will get very unpopular)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.